Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Old Aug 26th 2010, 11:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Population not fleeing UK, shock.

"Net migration to Britain rose by 20% to 196,000 last year, fuelled by a sharp increase in the number of overseas students coming to the UK to study and a 13% fall in the number of Britons leaving to live abroad."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/au...o-uk-increases

Dogs. Going. Not?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 12:38 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Population not fleeing UK, shock.

Originally Posted by dbd33
"Net migration to Britain rose by 20% to 196,000 last year, fuelled by a sharp increase in the number of overseas students coming to the UK to study and a 13% fall in the number of Britons leaving to live abroad."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/au...o-uk-increases

Dogs. Going. Not?
Heretic!
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:02 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

And, according to the BBC, a significant proportion of the "immigrants" to the UK were actually British expats returning home.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
Heretic!
Loath as I am to question the orthodox view, I can't help but think that I read on here somewhere that there's a stampede out of the UK. That doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps people have been happy with the leadership of the country over the past eighteen months or so.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:12 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Loath as I am to question the orthodox view, I can't help but think that I read on here somewhere that there's a stampede out of the UK. That doesn't seem to be the case. Perhaps people have been happy with the leadership of the country over the past eighteen months or so.
Good grief, I know you are a Graundiad reader, but in case you didn't notice, a signficant proportion of the country were unhappy with Gordo so Labour lost the election. So it's now the Dave and Nick show, which seems to be doing reasonably well so far.

Perhaps the reduction in emigration has more to do with the general economic downturn - more risky moving to another country in the depths of a recession if you have a decent job in the UK. I'd also hazard a guess that the weakness of the pound vs. some other currencies would have an impact. Leaving the UK to move to Canada now doesn't automatically mean exchanging one's semi in surbiton for a 4500 sq ft pile in Canada. Not without a sizeable mortgage it doesn't and I refer you back to my first point.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:24 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
And, according to the BBC, a significant proportion of the "immigrants" to the UK were actually British expats returning home.
As Martha Stewart would say, "and that's a good thing".
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:25 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Good grief, I know you are a Graundiad reader, but in case you didn't notice, a signficant proportion of the country were unhappy with Gordo so Labour lost the election. So it's now the Dave and Nick show, which seems to be doing reasonably well so far.

Perhaps the reduction in emigration has more to do with the general economic downturn - more risky moving to another country in the depths of a recession if you have a decent job in the UK. I'd also hazard a guess that the weakness of the pound vs. some other currencies would have an impact. Leaving the UK to move to Canada now doesn't automatically mean exchanging one's semi in surbiton for a 4500 sq ft pile in Canada. Not without a sizeable mortgage it doesn't and I refer you back to my first point.
Oh OK, maybe that's not the reason. Maybe people in the UK now have better access to climate data for "abroad", Canada in particular.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:28 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Oh OK, maybe that's not the reason. Maybe people in the UK now have better access to climate data for "abroad", Canada in particular.
That and the price of cheese....
Old Aug 26th 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Would tend to agree. Perhaps the fear of 'jumping from the frying pan into the fire' looms large in the minds of many potential immigrants at this time given the UK economy and current/projected exchange rates....

Looking back, if the economy had been as poor (from a personal point of view) in 2004 as it is now, I would not have been able to make the move....of that I have no doubt.

Last edited by macadian; Aug 26th 2010 at 1:40 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 2:36 pm
Slightly Canadian

Originally Posted by macadian
Would tend to agree. Perhaps the fear of 'jumping from the frying pan into the fire' looms large in the minds of many potential immigrants at this time given the UK economy and current/projected exchange rates....

Looking back, if the economy had been as poor (from a personal point of view) in 2004 as it is now, I would not have been able to make the move....of that I have no doubt.
Same here. My house in Nfld is now worth almost twice what I paid for it in 2004 and the exchange rate is 1.65 vs. 2.15 or so. We simply couldn't have afforded to move over.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree we moved 2 years ago , just as it was turning, another six months and we would of had to wait...

Perhaps less uk persons moving out is to do with other countries less open to new persons?

I know we can move around the EU, but as a most guys move to canada /Australia , and they have made mods to the process ,perhaps as many just can't get, so stay put?

G
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:18 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Haha, I like the misspelling of a joke about the poor typogaphy of others!

And perhaps people can't afford to get out of the UK at the moment. The weakened nature of the pound at present must have put paid to some people's plans for sure.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Are they returning for treatment for Marmite addiction ?
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:24 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattieuk

And perhaps people can't afford to get out of the UK at the moment. The weakened nature of the pound at present must have put paid to some people's plans for sure.
Along with the fact that selling your house to free up equity is a lot trickier ( if you have any equity left)

We would have had problems if we'd left selling ours even a few months.
Old Aug 26th 2010, 5:54 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattieuk

<wanders off for a ciggy>

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.