Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pool / Hot tub / both / neither????

Pool / Hot tub / both / neither????

Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

RRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to all
Default Pool / Hot tub / both / neither????

Looking at property some have hot tubs / some pools / most neither. Do people really use pools in the summer a home and hot tubs in the winter?
Old Sep 4th 2011, 9:16 am
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pool / Hot tub / both / neither????

Originally Posted by RRhodes
Looking at property some have hot tubs / some pools / most neither. Do people really use pools in the summer a home and hot tubs in the winter?
Depends where you are living.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:21 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Well they're not installed because of attractiveness.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

In BC I'd go for a hot tub. Wouldn't go for a pool anywhere in Canada really. Although I have heard of people in the colder climes flooding them in the winter and using them for ice skating.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:10 pm
Procrastinating

Hobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud ofHobbess has much to be proud of

Our house has a hot-tub, we didn't shop for a house with one, just happened to come with the house that we wanted to buy. I don't think we paid much if any of a premium due to the hot-tub.

We've used it both summer & winter time and to varying degrees. Right now it's empty as we're considering selling it so that we can get a bigger deck.

While we were using it it's not too hard to maintain, as we were only it in at most twice a week (more usually less) I would just spend 5 miinutes or so checking the water and adding chemicals once a week. The local hot-tub shop did free water testing too with advice that was really helpful so I'd pop in there once every few months. It for sure sucks in the winter at anything below 10c to be out testing water, but I've cleaned the hot tub out in my shorts at 0c before!

If you get one there'll be days you love it and days you'll hate it!

Our neighbours have an above-around pool and we hardly see them in it in the summer and it just looks like a mess in the winter.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

RRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to allRRhodes is a name known to all

Yes we would never put a pool in and dont know if we should discount houses with them as they practically take up the whole garden (houses in our price range). If we lived in the UK we would want to buy a hot tub so I guess it would be no different in another country. Our neighbours had one and to be fair they used it a lot. I think rather than looking for a house with one we will just think its a bonus if it has one!! Thanks for the advice lol
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:17 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we would never put a pool in and dont know if we should discount houses with them as they practically take up the whole garden (houses in our price range). If we lived in the UK we would want to buy a hot tub so I guess it would be no different in another country. Our neighbours had one and to be fair they used it a lot. I think rather than looking for a house with one we will just think its a bonus if it has one!! Thanks for the advice lol
There are lots of places to buy hot tubs, anyway.
If you find you want one, they aren't hard to install.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Is there any alternative to chlorine in hot tubs in Canada? Plays havoc with my skin.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 5:15 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Is there any alternative to chlorine in hot tubs in Canada? Plays havoc with my skin.

Yes, you can get salt water hot tubs.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Yes, you can get salt water hot tubs.
Thanks PMM - that's excellent news.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 10:32 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Factor in the maintenance and upkeep of a pool plus heating costs.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Factor in the maintenance and upkeep of a pool plus heating costs.
I think that, if you have children, a pool might make sense. Given that what Canadians want is "a neighbour with a pool" it might be doubly good for an immigrant family with children. I'd pay for a hot tub but not a pool.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

without a doubt a pool! We had one installed last year and have now enjoyed 2 fantastic summers living outside. We eat outside, we entertain outside, we swim, read, lay in the sun its fabulous. Keeps the kids off the video games and phones, means they have lots of friends round to play.

We rarely heat the pool (only up to 80f if we do) but when we do it takes usually 1 hour to go up 2 degrees (something like $7-10 per day) and we don't bother with the AC on in the house. Only today it was 28 and hot and humid in Ottawa, a huge rainstorm came over and we all jumped in the pool it was gorgeous. Its salt water which is great for the skin and hair. I clean the pool every other day and the safety cover goes on at the end of the season. It was a small fortune to install but so worth it. This year went without summer vacation to help pay it off and so didn't miss going away.

Don't like the hot tub thing. It's not good for my skin and I get bored just sitting in bubbles especially bizarre sharing with other people as its like having a bath but without the soap...not my thing!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 12:10 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

We love our salt water pool too. We have a solar panel so don't pay to heat it. Maintenance is low - pucks autofed, shock packet added once a week, 100ml algaecide once weekly, auto cleaner wanders around the pool every other night.

Opened our pool mid June and the weather is still so good we were in the pool today
Old Sep 5th 2011, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
We use Pro-clear which I think is silver iodine pellets in our hot tub (non chlorine based). Rather expensive though in Canada at around $52 for a tube which lasts 3 months. As usual you can get the same stuff for a third of the cost in the States. We only use a small does of chlorine shock occosionally.

With regard to pools many of our neighbours have pools and our kids are in them most of the summer. Lots of people in BC have pools and they seem to be very popular.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.