Police in Canada

Wikiposts

Police in Canada

Old Jan 24th 2006, 9:00 pm
Belfast-Beverley-Calgary

Gillian S is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Police in Canada

Hello

My husband is currently a policeman in Humberside Police and as we've now received our visas, is now in a position to apply for the Calgary Police service.

Has anyone been through a similar experience? As any information and guidance would be very welcome.

Thank you

Gillian
Old Jan 25th 2006, 12:46 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of
Default Re: Police in Canada

Both myself and my husband joined the Calgary Police Service and for personal reasons left. But we do know three expats that are in and apparently they love it. I would advise you to write a personal email to me with specific questions as there is so much to say and I don't know what you want to know.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gillian S
Hello

My husband is currently a policeman in Humberside Police and as we've now received our visas, is now in a position to apply for the Calgary Police service.

Has anyone been through a similar experience? As any information and guidance would be very welcome.

Thank you

Gillian
Hi

Take a look at their web site - it has a "Jobs and recruiting" link in the menu (to the left)

http://www.calgarypolice.ca/
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:51 am
Just Joined

gos13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Thank you

Gillian
Gillian
I am also a police officer applying, however we have only just submitted our forms to the Canadian High Commission. I visited Calgary police last year in November and they took me through the process for UK officers. If you email me I will let you know what they told me. I would also like to ask you about the process you went through with the embassy.
Old Jan 25th 2006, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Both myself and my husband joined the Calgary Police Service and for personal reasons left. But we do know three expats that are in and apparently they love it. I would advise you to write a personal email to me with specific questions as there is so much to say and I don't know what you want to know.
Helen
I would be interested to speak to you as I am a UK officer currently with Northants. We have only just submitted our forms to the High Commission but my intention is to apply to Calgary.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 1:18 am
Belfast-Beverley-Calgary

Gillian S is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gos13
Gillian
I am also a police officer applying, however we have only just submitted our forms to the Canadian High Commission. I visited Calgary police last year in November and they took me through the process for UK officers. If you email me I will let you know what they told me. I would also like to ask you about the process you went through with the embassy.
Hi

My husband, Martin, is in contact with a couple of members of the CPS via email and they have been very helpful. He has just downloaded the application form to complete as we've received our Permanent Resident paperwork. It would be interesting to hear how the process was explained to you as Martin previously met a recruiting officer informally nearly 2 years ago and we've only recently heard that they have a "UK file".

It took us just over 2 years to receive our visas and we did have to attend an interview at the Canadian Embassy in London. This was due to to the fact that we did not have enough points (even though the self assessment said otherwise). I think what pulled us through was the fact that Martin's UK police training was counted as higher education and bumped us up to the minimum points limit (phew!). One thing they did say to us was that "Canada was screaming out for police officers".

I'm finding this site very useful to gather people's experiences so please feel free to ask and I'll tell Martin to log on once he gets out of his pit (night shift!) to respond.

Gillian
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:21 am
Just Joined

Gillian
We went out last year and spoke to the recruiting department who basically said that I could submit the relevant application forms when permenant residency had beeen granted and then they would invite me over to do the complete recruitment process in one week, which I understand they normally do over a far longer period. This enables you to retain your job in the UK, take a weeks A/L and complete the process. You return to the UK and continue working as normal. They will then process it all and give you the decision. You can then resign/take a career break (as a safety net) and move straight into a job. I met with Constable Doug Newton but have now discovered that he retired early this year. Constable Ryan Martin is now dealing with the UK officers.
Regards
Alex
Hi

My husband, Martin, is in contact with a couple of members of the CPS via email and they have been very helpful. He has just downloaded the application form to complete as we've received our Permanent Resident paperwork. It would be interesting to hear how the process was explained to you as Martin previously met a recruiting officer informally nearly 2 years ago and we've only recently heard that they have a "UK file".

It took us just over 2 years to receive our visas and we did have to attend an interview at the Canadian Embassy in London. This was due to to the fact that we did not have enough points (even though the self assessment said otherwise). I think what pulled us through was the fact that Martin's UK police training was counted as higher education and bumped us up to the minimum points limit (phew!). One thing they did say to us was that "Canada was screaming out for police officers".

I'm finding this site very useful to gather people's experiences so please feel free to ask and I'll tell Martin to log on once he gets out of his pit (night shift!) to respond.

Gillian