Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Plumbing Red Seal Challenger Prep in British Columbia?

Plumbing Red Seal Challenger Prep in British Columbia?

Old Jun 28th 2012, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

eire pride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plumbing Red Seal Challenger Prep in British Columbia?

Hi, just relocated from Ireland and realized my credentials are not transferrable and I was asked to challenge the Red Seal here. I am looking for prep courses and only found one so far:

http://www.icba.bc.ca/courses_events...ration_001.pdf

Anyone know if this one's good or know of any other courses I can take?

Any experience with challenging if you had a solid european apprenticeship> I have 15 years of experience and am not looking forward to writing an exam again.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

hutchy100 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Plumbing Red Seal Challenger Prep in British Columbia?

R u a pr of Canada
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Stolen reply from another helpful poster

If all you are going to do is connect water pipes, no certification required, you do need to know the building codes though. Without the provincial certification (which is Red Seal endorsed) unlikely to get hired or paid very much. Where Gas and any basic electrical work involved, you need to be ticketed. To challenge Red Seal you need 9000 of provable work experience. Never had a problem finding plumbers here, although took a long time to find a good one.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

I took mine in Alberta company I worked for arranged a course there was 15 on the course 80% failed first time I studied 5 nights a week for 3 month and 1 night a week on the course very hard and lots of questions on rigging, safety, grades and different types of pipe, venting is a nightmare. Two German doing the course failed 2 nd time the province deported them I got 82% need over 70%
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

getting my LMO to alberta for plumbing soon. is there anything you think i could do in preperation for Red Seal?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

You could try to get a Canadian plumbing code book from some where not cheap maybe Amazom if not look at the sait web site in Calgary they might ship it out to you
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:18 am
Just Joined

voivod is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there an online copy of the book?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

Pipe types and grades not worried about as my back ground is commercial. I would have never thought safety would be difficult as we are often perceived as health and safety mad in britain. Whats rigging? Like scaffold? Do you mean venting gases? Or justl heating systems. Will try and find the standards.
Glad you chirped up the plumbing forum is pretty quiet
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

All waste pipes need to be vented same in UK to stop it vacuum rigging is roping up for the crane, health and safety some different some welding knowlage as well
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Got welding experience. Done a fair bit with cranes. Think i will struggle on waste not done a great deal of that. If i find a book on the standards i will post on here where i got it n how much.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

Well it's $123.00 here not sure with postage, what part of Canada are you coming to?
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Don't think there is an online 1
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

lloydminster, Alberta. just recieved my police certificate for the LMO waiting on instruction from company. they said i would be an apprentice and study for 6 months before my credentials will be recognised, i assume this is the 9000 hours that are needed.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

When I did mine I got full pay and had to proove my hours from uk
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

Right here are some red seal plumbing questions from previous questions
see if you know the answers?
1. explain reverse osmosis
2.Artesian aqufiers are overlain with ----------
3.a device that helps remove suspended particals from a well system is called -------
4.maximum total of floride in water mg/l
5,a method of water treatment that is primaraly used is called ---------
6,medical gas pipe fitting are cleaned with -------
7.an oriffice nozzle for a drinking fountain must be possitioned so the lowest point isat least ----------
so you plumber out there how many do you know?
these are all red seal questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.