Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

plumbing in Calgary

plumbing in Calgary

Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

katiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nice
Default plumbing in Calgary

Can anybody tell me what size the domestic plumbing is? Is it imperial or metric?
OH has a workshop full of stuff he's loth to part with and I'm desperately trying to persuade him that we need to get rid of masses of things so we can afford to move the essentials - our shipping quotes are horrendous!
Thanks
KatieMoon
Old Dec 14th 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of
Default Re: plumbing in Calgary

My OH did all the plumbing in our basement and he used his tools from the UK. He did have to go and buy a few things as most of the pipe work is plastic and his tools were for copper pipe. I'm sure there will be a few plumbers on here that will tell you the technical stuff. Hubby tells me tools are generally cheaper here but he is just probably telling me that to justify his new collection. Men and there tools !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Dec 14th 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

katiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nicekatiemoon is just really nice

Thanks for the info - it's not just the tools - he's got loads of copper fittings too!! Honestly, we could fill TWO 40 foot containers with the rubbish he hoards

Katie
Old Dec 14th 2008, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Virtually every think is Imperial in Canada lots Iron pipe and plastic USA infulance, you can get adaptors in the UK though whether its worth shipping that is a different matter.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 9:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info - that's really useful to know. It means we can get rid of the British fittings - with copper the price it is, we might even raise enough to pay for the container

Katie
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

knightstorm is an unknown quantity at this point

would have thought it would be imperial, as canada doesn't have the stupid EU breathing down it's neck, to go metric, i too am a Plumber,pipefitter, and still work in imperial measurements, i'm only 38 mind, and before i go over there i'm gonna do something i alwys wanted to do, and that's take my tools to the nearest cliff and throw the bloody things off

then buy some nice shiney new ones.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by katiemoon
Can anybody tell me what size the domestic plumbing is? Is it imperial or metric?
OH has a workshop full of stuff he's loth to part with and I'm desperately trying to persuade him that we need to get rid of masses of things so we can afford to move the essentials - our shipping quotes are horrendous!
Thanks
KatieMoon
Hi Katie,

I was there in March and bought back an end feed elbow to see the differnece between our fittings.

Tell your hubby, the end feed fitting was slightly bigger than our 15mm fitting a little like our old 1/2" - same gap tell him (He'll know what I mean)

Also, I've been told if you have a hand bending machine - "Hilmor" or "Record" it won't work as the wall on their pipe is soooooo thin, it kinks!

Again he'll know what I mean. If he has sackfulls of fittings - get rid!

Hope this helps.

Y
Old Dec 15th 2008, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Yogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of lightYogi-Bear is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by knightstorm
would have thought it would be imperial, as canada doesn't have the stupid EU breathing down it's neck, to go metric, i too am a Plumber,pipefitter, and still work in imperial measurements, i'm only 38 mind, and before i go over there i'm gonna do something i alwys wanted to do, and that's take my tools to the nearest cliff and throw the bloody things off

then buy some nice shiney new ones.
Lol, Nice thought!

**It's a man thing!**

Y
Old Dec 15th 2008, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

knightstorm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yogi-Bear
Lol, Nice thought!

**It's a man thing!**

Y

yes imperial is slightly off, 15 fits a 1/2 inch, 3/4 doesn't fit 22, you need an imperial to metric fitting. that's going back 20 years to when i were a lad.

so basically do a car boot sale and get rid of the lot, as these things sell like hot cakes, i know i've flogged a fair few in me time.

and with the extra cash he can get some nice shiney new tools.

or even buy you something nice
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by knightstorm

yes imperial is slightly off, 15 fits a 1/2 inch, 3/4 doesn't fit 22, you need an imperial to metric fitting. that's going back 20 years to when i were a lad.

so basically do a car boot sale and get rid of the lot, as these things sell like hot cakes, i know i've flogged a fair few in me time.

and with the extra cash he can get some nice shiney new tools.

or even buy you something nice
But me something nice!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm let me think.......

I know, one of those huge 5.7 Ltr 4 x 4 GMC pick-ups would be nice

Hope you have enough fittings for that

Y