British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Plumber (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/plumber-948132/)

liammc.hugh May 22nd 2023 6:35 pm

Plumber

Hi there
i am currently in the process of applying for visa in canada. I am a plumber looking to move over next year. I am looking for any info on requirements to work as a plumber? I am fully qualified and have full Time experience. I seen I have to sit a red seal exam possibly? Has anyone any information when I would need to sit that? Is it able to be done online before coming? How long can you work without having passed the exam yet? And best ways to study for it as I believe there will be different regulations and stuff in Canada to uk.
thanks in advance

christmasoompa May 22nd 2023 9:34 pm

Re: Plumber

Assuming you’ll be applying under the FST program? The provincial certification you need for that (unless you have a job offer of course) will be the certification you need to work in Canada. It can’t be done from the UK though.

HTH.

liammc.hugh May 24th 2023 9:09 am

It would be the working holiday visa at the moment and then going for permanent residency. The agency I have went through said it would be easiest way to do it

christmasoompa May 24th 2023 9:36 am

Originally Posted by liammc.hugh (Post 13194267)
It would be the working holiday visa at the moment and then going for permanent residency. The agency I have went through said it would be easiest way to do it

Ah, ok, so you don't need provincial certification for your visa then and will need to do it separately. The process will depend on the province you're moving to, each has their own process and requirements. Have a search around the forum and hopefully you'll find lots of relevant info, good luck.

wardy_1990 Jun 9th 2023 8:41 pm

Hey buddy,

You can work for 3 months without the cert as long as the company says you are competent, then you have less than 6 months I believe to sit the redseal, you can get study material and past papers from the local college/University, you have I think 3 attempts to pass the test that's it. 70 percent is red seal 69 and maybe 68 percent is a provincial ticket which is certification for that province only. If you have commercial experience its easier to get hired. Look for irish groups in the province you want on Facebook good source of info.
all you need for visa is hours of experience which no one can really disprove but it's evident on site who lied.

Anything else let us know been nearly 10 years since I did it. I took the wrong test pipefitting which is really just welders mate and steam piping, should of sat plumbing.

liammc.hugh Jun 10th 2023 7:44 am

Originally Posted by wardy_1990 (Post 13197702)
Hey buddy,

You can work for 3 months without the cert as long as the company says you are competent, then you have less than 6 months I believe to sit the redseal, you can get study material and past papers from the local college/University, you have I think 3 attempts to pass the test that's it. 70 percent is red seal 69 and maybe 68 percent is a provincial ticket which is certification for that province only. If you have commercial experience its easier to get hired. Look for irish groups in the province you want on Facebook good source of info.
all you need for visa is hours of experience which no one can really disprove but it's evident on site who lied.

Anything else let us know been nearly 10 years since I did it. I took the wrong test pipefitting which is really just welders mate and steam piping, should of sat plumbing.

thank you for the reply maye and the info very helpful. I have both commercial and domestic experience so that’s good to hear, commercial been the preference. So I take it I need to wait until there to do the test and couldn’t do before?

wardy_1990 Jun 10th 2023 7:47 am

Aye mate, can only be done there, what province you headed to

liammc.hugh Jun 10th 2023 9:41 am

Originally Posted by wardy_1990 (Post 13197747)
Aye mate, can only be done there, what province you headed to

heading for Ontario mate, family and friends there so good starting point. Do you know anyways I could possibly start to study and prepare for test atol mate? Looked at a mock test and a lot of questions seemed different to how Scotland work

wardy_1990 Jun 10th 2023 6:27 pm

I never used these people but I considered it when wanting to upgrade my ticket from provincial to redseal, they are based in Surrey BC. I would still consider it if I knew a company that would let a pipefitter do plumbing, so if you see any in ontario let me know.
https://atticanada.com/inter-provinc...exam-training/

If the link doesn't work Google ace trades technical institute, also I don't know rules on posting companies so if admin could let me know if this is cool.

Where in UK are you now.

liammc.hugh Jun 11th 2023 7:35 am

Originally Posted by wardy_1990 (Post 13197805)
I never used these people but I considered it when wanting to upgrade my ticket from provincial to redseal, they are based in Surrey BC. I would still consider it if I knew a company that would let a pipefitter do plumbing, so if you see any in ontario let me know.
https://atticanada.com/inter-provinc...exam-training/

If the link doesn't work Google ace trades technical institute, also I don't know rules on posting companies so if admin could let me know if this is cool.

Where in UK are you now.

thanks for the info mate.
I am coming from glasgow

wardy_1990 Jun 11th 2023 7:40 am

All the best mate

bryndog1950 Jun 12th 2023 5:11 pm

If you're heading to Ontario, you may find this helpful:
https://www.skilledtradesontario.ca/certification/
Note that to be eligible to take a certifying exam, you must have:
Completed an Ontario apprenticeship program in a trade with a certifying exam and received a Certificate of Apprenticeship
OR
Been approved to take the exam by Skilled Trades Ontario through a Trade Equivalency Assessment for experienced workers who have not completed an apprenticeship in Ontario. The Trade Equivalency Assessment determines whether you can challenge the certifying exam for a trade.

There is a lot more information on this site about the process. Hope this helps.