British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Plugs question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/plugs-question-753703/)

julescg Apr 3rd 2012 2:28 pm

Plugs question
 
Hiya, I'm moving in about 5 weeks (very excited and nervous), I was wondering if it was worth taking my electric toothbrush - I had a quick look on Amazon.ca and the plug looked the same (ie the round pins not flat) from what I could see in the picture but not 100% convinced - I don't really want to have to take a bathroom to uk converter and then plug it into a uk-canda plug converter!!

Anyone any ideas?

nerdherd Apr 3rd 2012 2:31 pm

Re: Plugs question
 
Should be the same as they plug into shaver plugs in bathrooms, and these are pretty much the same everywhere you go.

julescg Apr 3rd 2012 2:34 pm

Re: Plugs question
 
Thanks nerdherd - that's 1 more tick on the to-do list!

Almost Canadian Apr 3rd 2012 2:37 pm

Re: Plugs question
 

Originally Posted by nerdherd (Post 9986907)
Should be the save as they plug into shaver plugs in bathrooms, and these are pretty much the same everywhere you go.

Really?

The ones in our house are the standard two pronged flat edged ones (with the additional middle prong) that all sockets are. IIRC, in England they are those two pronged round pins. I could be wrong though.;)

Former Lancastrian Apr 3rd 2012 2:42 pm

Re: Plugs question
 
Read this
http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/arti...ity+guide.html
or this
http://britishexpat.com/expatforum/c...pic.php?t=7280

nerdherd Apr 3rd 2012 2:46 pm

Re: Plugs question
 

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian (Post 9986915)
Really?

The ones in our house are the standard two pronged flat edged ones (with the additional middle prong) that all sockets are. IIRC, in England they are those two pronged round pins. I could be wrong though.;)

Ha - I sort of knew I shouldn't have been so affirmative in my reply! I guess it's not as universal as I thought then.

To the OP - sorry, looks like it may no be so clear cut after all... :(

Former Lancastrian Apr 3rd 2012 2:49 pm

Re: Plugs question
 
At the end of the day its a toothbrush FFS they can be bought in Canada at a reasonable cost :lol:

julescg Apr 3rd 2012 2:49 pm

Re: Plugs question
 
Ah well, it's only a toothbrush, I'm not that attached to it!

Thanks for your quick responses!

nerdherd Apr 3rd 2012 2:57 pm

Re: Plugs question
 
Quite, a toothbrush is hardly something one gets sentimentally attached to.

I am using the move to justify buying many new things that wouldn't need replacing otherwise. Our first month is going to be one giant shopping trip!

It fills me with excitement (helloooooo new shiny things) and dread (bye-bye savings) at the same time :D

julescg Apr 3rd 2012 2:59 pm

Re: Plugs question
 
And it's a few more grams available in my luggage for something else!!

Former Lancastrian Apr 3rd 2012 3:26 pm

Re: Plugs question
 

Originally Posted by nerdherd (Post 9986943)
Quite, a toothbrush is hardly something one gets sentimentally attached to.

I am using the move to justify buying many new things that wouldn't need replacing otherwise. Our first month is going to be one giant shopping trip!

It fills me with excitement (helloooooo new shiny things) and dread (bye-bye savings) at the same time :D

Heres a tip when you arrive wait until Thursday evening and then you can truly be Canadian. You will sit in a living room or hotel room reading over the flyers (advertising material) that has been distributed for the sale items that usually start on Fridays and end on Thursdays. Be careful some items might be a 2 day special only.
Canadian (Crappy) Tire, Sears, Best Buy, Future Shop, The Bay and London Drugs and WalMart are the most sought (and fought) over Flyers. You can compare prices and plan your shopping route accordingly.
I only say wait till Thur as if you arrive on Mon and start buying straight away then dont be surprised that the item you bought for $39.99 on Tue is now on sale for $19.99
I have attached these to give you a heads up on what prices are so you can make out your list in anticipation and dream of that first Canadian shopping spree.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/home.jsp?site=WebStore
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/home.aspx
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/home.aspx
http://www.londondrugs.com/Cultures/en-US/default.htm

Depending where you are living you could just nip over into the USA and buy everything down there as its cheaper :lol:

nerdherd Apr 3rd 2012 4:01 pm

Re: Plugs question
 
That is a very helpful tip, thank you so much, I had no idea about these deals, sounds like they are worth it :thumbsup:

I will check out the websites. I have been told before not to buy anything from Canadian Tire if I can help it (fairly sure I read that on here too, actually), would you agree?

Regarding a trip to the US, aren't there regulations as to how much stuff you can bring back? Not sure yet where we will settle, so may not be an option anyway, on the other hand, I can't imagine we'll ever be that far away from the border.

R I C H Apr 3rd 2012 4:09 pm

Re: Plugs question
 

Originally Posted by nerdherd (Post 9987074)
I have been told before not to buy anything from Canadian Tire if I can help it (fairly sure I read that on here too, actually), would you agree?

If I buy a jug of brand name car shampoo at Lordco, Canadian Tire or Walmart, how's it going to differ (except price)? Making broad assertions like that is just dumb. CT sells some shite, but also perfectly some good items, just like any other store.



Originally Posted by nerdherd (Post 9987074)
Regarding a trip to the US, aren't there regulations as to how much stuff you can bring back? Not sure yet where we will settle, so may not be an option anyway, on the other hand, I can't imagine we'll ever be that far away from the border.

Yes, there are regulations, which changed in last week's budget. you can look them up easily enough. Don't assume you'll 'ever be that far away from the border' and that quick shopping trips are going to be the norm. In 8 years I've never made a trip to the States for shopping, and I'm not exactly in the middle of nowhere. The lure of saving a few $ isn't enough for me to want to drive 5 hours to a mall.

Former Lancastrian Apr 3rd 2012 4:12 pm

Re: Plugs question
 
Crappy Tire carry most major brands for small appliances such as Oster, Cuisinart, Black & Decker etc etc.
Most of the stuff is made in China anyway so it doesnt matter where you buy it from.
Yes there are regulations regarding how much stuff you can bring back from the States without paying taxes but when you see the difference in prices on some goods then its worth it.
Most go down for a weekend and claim the 48 hour exemption $400 per person. This is likely to change to $800 per person on 1 June this year.
You can then join another Canadian past time of waiting in line to cross back into Canada on a Sunday evening or Monday on any of the long weekends.
Personally sitting in a car for over an hour to cross is not my idea of a fun weekend.

nerdherd Apr 3rd 2012 4:15 pm

Re: Plugs question
 

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 9987088)
If I buy a jug of brand name car shampoo at Lordco, Canadian Tire or Walmart, how's it going to differ (except price)? Making broad assertions like that is just dumb.

Thanks for calling me dumb. I wasn't making a broad assertion, I was asking a question, and thank you for answering it.


Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 9987088)
The lure of saving a few $ isn't enough for me to want to drive 5 hours to a mall.

I'm with you on that one!


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:36 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.