Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Plug in on GMC terrain

Plug in on GMC terrain

Old Nov 15th 2014, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plug in on GMC terrain

Originally Posted by BexM
Well so far, we haven't needed it but the weather is getting colder so we wanted to know what the situation was, just in case!
We just don't get enough days cold enough to justify having one and even if we did, nowhere to plug one in, so it's one thing we can skip around here.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 4:43 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Already had cold cold nights here where my car would have appreciated being plugged in, but wasnt and shifting gear was like stirring treacle, even after being warmed up for 15 minutes first
Old Nov 15th 2014, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BexM
Well so far, we haven't needed it but the weather is getting colder so we wanted to know what the situation was, just in case!
Did an Owners Manual come with the vehicle? If not new, possibly not. Then Google it and if you have a block heater it will show you where it is and how to safely operate it. Otherwise go to a GM dealership.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Already had cold cold nights here where my car would have appreciated being plugged in, but wasnt and shifting gear was like stirring treacle, even after being warmed up for 15 minutes first
How cold has it been out that way?

Getting down to -5 at night here, I know not cold by Alberta standards though, but for us its pretty cold.

When I lived in Edmonton I never got used to plugging a car in, and I forgot to do it 90% of the time, I am sure my car hated me, seemed it was the coldest days when I forgot.
Old Nov 15th 2014, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

BexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everybody. I do have a manual and I did have a quick flick through, bit being that I'm a newbie to Canada I wasn't entirely sure what I should be looking for! I certInly couldn't see anything for plug in but I will now try block heater.

We got down to -22 a couple of nights ago, with a wind chill of -29, so the car would probably welcome a bit of warmth overnight!
Old Nov 16th 2014, 1:54 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
How cold has it been out that way?

Getting down to -5 at night here, I know not cold by Alberta standards though, but for us its pretty cold.

When I lived in Edmonton I never got used to plugging a car in, and I forgot to do it 90% of the time, I am sure my car hated me, seemed it was the coldest days when I forgot.
-25 or so overnight and we had a -33 windchill the other day, wsrmed up considerably today,only -2ish, long may that continue
Old Nov 16th 2014, 4:42 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BexM;11473501]Thanks everybody. I do have a manual and I did have a quick flick through, bit being that I'm a newbie to Canada I wasn't entirely sure what I should be looking for! I certInly couldn't see anything for plug in but I will now try block heater.[QUOTE]

When it's -20 or colder it's nice to have your vehicle plugged in for about 3 hrs before starting it. CanTire/lumber yards/ hardware all sell timers you can set so you don't pay for power all night.

We got down to -22 a couple of nights ago, with a wind chill of -29, so the car would probably welcome a bit of warmth overnight!
Most cars will still start at -30 but it's harder on them without a few hrs plugged in and when it's been plugged in the interior gets warm quicker and windshield defrosts quicker. Driving slow for the first few blocks helps bring gear oil and transmission fluid up to operating temp before getting up to speed.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of

On my terrain it's tucked just behind the passenger side headlight. Not used it this year yet though.
Old Nov 17th 2014, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

BexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of lightBexM is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Little D
On my terrain it's tucked just behind the passenger side headlight. Not used it this year yet though.
Found it! Thank you!