Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

please don't laugh !! toilet seat question

Wikiposts

please don't laugh !! toilet seat question

Old Jul 3rd 2005, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Location: SHEFFIELD uk can't wait to move in our house in Louisbourg N.S as soon as possible
louisbourg will become famous soon enough
Default please don't laugh !! toilet seat question

i know this sounds silly

but does anyone know if toilets seat fittings are the same in canada and uk ???

we bought a house and when we get over july we will be doing the bathroom ( complete extreme makeover ) with new suite

i have been busy buying all my accesories etc , but i love the funky seats we can get here and after looking on e-bay canada ......... not much available ...... is this because they won't fit .......

any plumbers or DIY ers could help please

many thanks

sharon
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: please don't laugh !! toilet seat question

Don`t know about anyone else but I`ve found the quality of bog seats here worse than those back in the UK. Maybe the whole toilet for that matter. They seem to block up more easily, but worse I`ve found the seats tend to come loose or break, especially when your sat doing your business.

So there`s an interesting fact for you all
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:36 am
Just Joined

zebedee is on a distinguished road

hmm ive got one of the novelty ones with barbed wire embedded on it ... i want to take it but i dunno if i can handle the landing procedure whilst carrying a bog seat
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:38 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louisbourg
i know this sounds silly

we bought a house and when we get over july we will be doing the bathroom ( complete extreme makeover ) with new suite

i have been busy buying all my accesories etc , but i love the funky seats we can get here and after looking on e-bay canada ......... not much available ...... is this because they won't fit .......

many thanks

sharon
LOL I've fitted toilet seats both here and in the UK, and for the life of me I've never ever measured one for fitting, albeit to say the hinges are all the same over here in the US and Canada. Trouble is if the hinges are different distances apart from the UK, it aint gonna fit, bring one over and try it out, you or someone else can always take it back unused..........

PS I can't believe I answered that question or didn't answer it, I need to get out more!!
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Location: SHEFFIELD uk can't wait to move in our house in Louisbourg N.S as soon as possible
louisbourg will become famous soon enough

this may be fun
although one was trying to be serious

i just can't see myself back in halifax airport in 4 months , with a toilet seat that didn't fit..........tucked under my arm :

keep info coming please !!!!!!!!!!!!! i am in the process of a great e-bay buy , when i have the nod !!!!!!!!!

thanks guys
sharon
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should ask, I was wondering the same thing.

Our UK one was broken, we bought a new one to fit at the last minute before the buyer took possession. Our stupid removal men packed it despite being told not to. They then couldn't locate it, so somewhere up the St Lawrence seaway is a brand new wooden UK loo seat winging its way to us.

I'll let you know if it fits when it gets here
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:12 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Funny you should ask, I was wondering the same thing.

Our UK one was broken, we bought a new one to fit at the last minute before the buyer took possession. Our stupid removal men packed it despite being told not to. They then couldn't locate it, so somewhere up the St Lawrence seaway is a brand new wooden UK loo seat winging its way to us.

I'll let you know if it fits when it gets here
Did you put it on the customs declaration...............
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:23 am

All joking aside (yeah right) I'd be interested to know if it does fit, great business opportunity, importing novelty toilet seats, could call it 'The Throne Room .com'..........
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:52 am
Just Joined

zebedee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
All joking aside (yeah right) I'd be interested to know if it does fit, great business opportunity, importing novelty toilet seats, could call it 'The Throne Room .com'..........
lol! now theres an idea!
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

this may be fun
although one was trying to be serious

i just can't see myself back in halifax airport in 4 months , with a toilet seat that didn't fit..........tucked under my arm :

keep info coming please !!!!!!!!!!!!! i am in the process of a great e-bay buy , when i have the nod !!!!!!!!!

thanks guys
sharon
Nice one! I now have this mental picture I carry around with me :scared:

I can't answer the question specifically as we've only replaced like with like (in both UK and Canada - I have a thing about loo's) but the design of a canadian loo is different (ie the exit in a UK one is in the wall and in Canada the floor) and fitting a new one likewise...I mean who'd have thought wax gaskets would be king! I did bring with me a loo mat that the M-i-L bought together with a set and its rather interesting that it doesn't fit round the loo and the bath mat is now dangerous as its not like a canadian one and rubber backed so it skids around on the lino (had carpet in the UK). Small differences but there none the less.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 9:38 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

i know this sounds silly

many thanks

sharon
I'm not sure about whether a UK toilet seat will fit on to Canadian toilet but I do know that you can find 'funky toilet seats' in Canada depending on where you'll be shopping. You can find them in 'bath shops', home decor shops, etc or (after a quick google) you can order some very nice ones online:

http://funkytoiletseats.com/

Hmmm, I really like the these - the ones in the link. I'd like to ask the reverse question... can Canadian toilet seats be fitted to UK toilets? Where are the plumbers on this forum?!
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 10:11 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

i know this sounds silly

many thanks

sharon
Canadian bogs come in a range of shapes and sizes but I think mine is probably the most common type. The bowl is 14 inches across (outside measurement) at its widest. From the inside back of the bowl to the outside front is about 15 inches. It is about 1.5 inches thick (sometimes more). The hinge holes are roughly 5.5 inches apart and set back about 2 inches from the inside back of the bowl.

They are very easy to install and fix, as they are not "hard-wired". Although it's not a very pleasant job. The bowl sits atop a hole in the floor and is bolted to the floor. The seal is made by a wax doughnut. The water supply is usually a flexible pipe that attaches to the bottom of the bowl. I've completely dismantled and re-installed one in about two hours, with only a couple of pictures in my DIY book to work from. The inside workings are pretty simple too.
Old Jul 3rd 2005, 11:21 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Canadian bogs come in a range of shapes and sizes but I think mine is probably the most common type. The bowl is 14 inches across (outside measurement) at its widest. From the inside back of the bowl to the outside front is about 15 inches. It is about 1.5 inches thick (sometimes more). The hinge holes are roughly 5.5 inches apart and set back about 2 inches from the inside back of the bowl.

They are very easy to install and fix, as they are not "hard-wired". Although it's not a very pleasant job. The bowl sits atop a hole in the floor and is bolted to the floor. The seal is made by a wax doughnut. The water supply is usually a flexible pipe that attaches to the bottom of the bowl. I've completely dismantled and re-installed one in about two hours, with only a couple of pictures in my DIY book to work from. The inside workings are pretty simple too.
How unobservant am I? I had never noticed this difference. Normally I would notice something like this. So I went to google's image search because I can't quite remember what Canadian cans look like. I typed in 'Canadian toilet' (don't do this if you're eating) and this showed up:

Is this what you had in mind sharon?
Old Jul 4th 2005, 12:59 am

KRoss is an unknown quantity at this point

i know this sounds silly

many thanks

sharon
Hi, a couple of years ago I bought bath mat, border, shower curtain and matching loo seat out of Canadian Tire for our bathroom in Scotland (I know..sad!) but the loo seat fitted perfectly. However only lasted a year because the fittings were plastic and not very hard wearing! So maybe the UK loo seat will fit.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 1:57 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by KRoss
Hi, a couple of years ago I bought bath mat, border, shower curtain and matching loo seat out of Canadian Tire for our bathroom in Scotland (I know..sad!) but the loo seat fitted perfectly. However only lasted a year because the fittings were plastic and not very hard wearing! So maybe the UK loo seat will fit.
A year isn't bad for something bought at Crappy Tire.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.