Reload this Page >

please advise us...

please advise us...

Old Jul 23rd 2008, 12:47 am
Forum Regular

alilane will become famous soon enough
Question please advise us...

Hi

My husband is a skilled carpenter/joiner with over 20yrs experience. We really want to move to Canada to start a new life but we're having major hurdles trying to find a job!!

We know his skills are in demand, and have been looking in various places for a vacancy. Either we contact a company directly and we never hear from them again (wonder if its anything to do with the hassle of employing an immigrant?) or we find its linked to a recruitment agency who start spouting off fees etc. My head is buzzing with all the information I'm trying to take in .. all we need is a job offer - so how do you secure one??

Beginning to think we'll never get over there..
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:21 am

terese677 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: please advise us...

Originally Posted by alilane
Hi

My husband is a skilled carpenter/joiner with over 20yrs experience. We really want to move to Canada to start a new life but we're having major hurdles trying to find a job!!

We know his skills are in demand, and have been looking in various places for a vacancy. Either we contact a company directly and we never hear from them again (wonder if its anything to do with the hassle of employing an immigrant?) or we find its linked to a recruitment agency who start spouting off fees etc. My head is buzzing with all the information I'm trying to take in .. all we need is a job offer - so how do you secure one??

Hi
Have a look at the Wiki on the top of the page, its very helpful. There have been lots of people with those skills here, just use the search tool and hopefully you'll come across some threads that might help
Good luck
Terese
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 3:36 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, alilane, and welcome to the BE forum.

As terese677 said, there is information in the Wiki section of this website.

I think the best Wiki article for you to read, to start off with, is the one called Quick Job Hunting Instructions.

You also might try Atkins West.

Hope that helps.
x
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

alilane will become famous soon enough

Thanks so much and thanks for the welcome..

I've called atkins west .. seem quite helpful and fees are more reasonable - I also had a look on Wiki but as I had already followed a lot of those steps anyway there wan't much more to go on for the time being.

Fingers crossed now!!
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

LMBrian has a brilliant futureLMBrian has a brilliant futureLMBrian has a brilliant futureLMBrian has a brilliant futureLMBrian has a brilliant futureLMBrian has a brilliant futureLMBrian has a brilliant futureLMBrian has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by alilane
Hi

Hi Alilane,

Another good website is www.alberta-canada.com/jobs. The employers advertising here usually are familiar with employing foreign workers and
are aware of the immigration system. Good luck!
Old Jul 24th 2008, 2:22 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LMBrian
Hi Alilane,

Another good website is www.alberta-canada.com/jobs. The employers advertising here usually are familiar with employing foreign workers and
are aware of the immigration system. Good luck!
Thanks for the excellent link, Brian. I have added it to the Wiki article called Finding Job Opportunities-Canada.
x