Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Planning on moving to Yellowknife

Planning on moving to Yellowknife

Old Nov 23rd 2008, 6:11 am
Just Joined

DanziM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Planning on moving to Yellowknife

Thanks guys for all the input! I know Yellowknife has a terrible winter but im really into trying the arctic lifestyle for a year. I can couple it with work and study if its possible.

I could ski within the ski resorts, but im quite adventurous so the idea of living within a small isolated city really appeals to me, plus snow in very cold conditions varies alot to snow in more southern resorts, and that matters alot when x country skiing.

From what ive read from all your replies and the research ive done myself, the australian way in seems alot easier and im able to stay for 2 years, with the ability of renewing it for another 2 years once that is up. However i shall also apply from my british side, as i wish to work and study at the same time. That is my stumblimg block as i stand.
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:01 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I've just noticed, DanziM, that you're not just in Australia but in Cairns to boot (16 degrees South, with a hot, humid climate).

Then, if you follow your dream, you'll have lived at 62 degrees North.

Man oh man, will you ever have stories to tell your grandchildren about the variety you will have experienced in your life. Or perhaps you can write a book.
x
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 7:14 am
Just Joined

DanziM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I've just noticed, DanziM, that you're not just in Australia but in Cairns to boot (16 degrees South, with a hot, humid climate).

Then, if you follow your dream, you'll have lived at 62 degrees North.

Man oh man, will you ever have stories to tell your grandchildren about the variety you will have experienced in your life. Or perhaps you can write a book.
x
This is true Judy. I love extremes, and im definatly a weatherman. I have been to Rovaniemi in northern Finland in Winter for the past 4 seasons and i absolutley loved it. It got down to about -32C, which as i understand nothing compared to Yellowknife. I adore the cold weather, not only because it fits my sport perfectly, but the fact that its so calming. Crisp mornings, crunching of snow, i just cant get enough of it.

Cairns is my home town in australia and as i speak at 6:10pm it is currently 29.8C with about 75% humidity. Again its hot and i love it, but i obviously cant ski here. I must live in either really hot or really cold.

Living in England probably fored this upon me, as it can never decide what the weather wants to do from day to day and it never gets cold and it never gets hot!

Are any of you kinda like me? and yeah Judy, i should write a book!
Old Nov 23rd 2008, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

bobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nice

Do a google search Yellowknife blog, theres loads and they might give you a better feel of what life is like there.

I was in Canada for winter 93 and at the time they were saying it was the coldest on record. Anyway the news from Yellowknife was that daytime temps were -60c. People were driving there cars out of there heated garage and as soon as the windscreen hit the cold air - Boom.
Now thats cold.

I've just remembered my partner has extended family there (cousin of a cousins cousin). They are old and retired but they moved from Germany to Vancouver, hated it, moved back to Germany, hated it then moved to Yellowknife loved it and became market gardeners. (think greenhouses)

So one size doesnt fit all. Go for it and good luck.