Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Places to live in Ontario

Places to live in Ontario

Old Mar 15th 2021, 6:31 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to live in Ontario

Originally Posted by Lichisadave
Some good points already made here. The one thing I will say is you adjust to the cost of things quite quickly if you don’t compare costs to the UK we have been here 3 years and I have managed to stop my husband price checking everything against the UK. We are originally from Hull in the North of UK and a family of 4 our weekly groceries are around $280 ish. We aren’t big drinkers and would happily settle for a £5 of wine in the UK that’s $14+ here. The one thing that I will say is expensive here is kids clubs and sports clubs my son played for a team in our home town in the UK £18 a month including kit etc. here $300 for 14 weeks this is in house League so not like in the UK where the kids play against teams from different towns or parts of the town. We live in Oakville our rent is $2300 (but rents are now $2800 for similar) for a decent 3 bed with finished basement and utility bills are roughly $350 a month.
The weather here is very much 2 extremes very very cold and very very hot lol but not much rain 😁
I would say after talking with lots of expats that the consensus is Oakville is a very nice place to live but there aren’t many people in the position to buy here so unless you need to live close to Toronto I’d look farther out Stoney CreekI hear is nice, London Guelph it really depends on where you will be working. Canada is such a lovely place to live and we aren’t planning on returning to the UK. Good luck with everything.
I am surprised at the rental prices you quote in Oakville. We have 2 bed/2 bath condo in Toronto...similar units in our building rent at approx $3,500 per month. We also have a 3 bed townhouse a few miles west...they rent approx $6,500 per month. Oakville is a nice place to live, TBH if we were able we would probably move there.