Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Places to live in Halifax

Places to live in Halifax

Old May 7th 2018, 5:34 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places to live in Halifax

I promise not to comment on every aspect of our holiday on here, but we’ve just had one of those surreal and lovely moments just after landing. Flight from Gatwick was delayed slightly so we were on the last minute for the bus downtown and forgot to get the exact change.

Driver is unable to give change so the fabulous lady in the queue behind us paid our fare! Wouldn’t take my money afterwards either. Welcome to Canada!
Old May 7th 2018, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Maritimers are great!
Old May 7th 2018, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crofty82
I promise not to comment on every aspect of our holiday on here, but we’ve just had one of those surreal and lovely moments just after landing. Flight from Gatwick was delayed slightly so we were on the last minute for the bus downtown and forgot to get the exact change.
Driver is unable to give change so the fabulous lady in the queue behind us paid our fare! Wouldn’t take my money afterwards either. Welcome to Canada!
If you are going to use the bus / ferry a lot, nip into somewhere, like Lawtons on Spring Garden Road, and get a book of tickets. Reduces the price from $2.25 to $2. When you return to the airport, I think the price is $2.50, so two tickets and a loonie will get the job done. Enjoy your time here.

Last edited by Tumbling_Dice; May 7th 2018 at 7:57 pm. Reason: My abysmal typing
Old May 7th 2018, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

GermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond reputeGermanytoCanada has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good start to the trip! The local people here certainly seem incredibly friendly.

We move to Halifax in early 2019 and have been here for the past week looking at different areas and eating lots of seafood! We are also mid-30s but have two young children in tow - I am sure you will be better placed to experience the food that Halifax has to offer!

Halifax is a great city to walk around, discovering the many bars and restaurants - it has fantastic variety for a city of this size. I don't know whether you plan to hire a car (as you have taken the bus) , but I would highly recommend it to make the most of the local coastline and areas.

Enjoy your trip.

​​​​​​
Old May 7th 2018, 8:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Borrowed for the kindness of strangers
Old May 7th 2018, 11:46 pm

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
Halifax is a great city to walk around, discovering the many bars and restaurants - it has fantastic variety for a city of this size. I don't know whether you plan to hire a car (as you have taken the bus) , but I would highly recommend it to make the most of the local coastline and areas.

Enjoy your trip.

​​​​​​
Thanks, sounds like we’re (hopefully) on a similar trajectory. We’re picking up a car tomorrow for the next three days so looking forward to seeing some more of The Maritimes under our own steam.
Old May 8th 2018, 4:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, sounds like we’re (hopefully) on a similar trajectory. We’re picking up a car tomorrow for the next three days so looking forward to seeing some more of The Maritimes under our own steam.
Well, you will get to experience the pretty awful driving standards here. You may not notice it right away, but it will come.
Old May 9th 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
Well, you will get to experience the pretty awful driving standards here. You may not notice it right away, but it will come.
Wasn’t too bad yesterday, heading to PEI today so we’ll see. In the UK I work away in Birmingham during the week which has both the worst drivers and craziest road layouts I’ve ever encountered so hopefully I’m ready for the challenge.
Old May 9th 2018, 1:19 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

This makes my heart happy. Remember this when you have a pickup truck tailgating you on the 102. Seriously though hope you have a great visit here.
Old May 9th 2018, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wasn’t too bad yesterday, heading to PEI today so we’ll see. In the UK I work away in Birmingham during the week which has both the worst drivers and craziest road layouts I’ve ever encountered so hopefully I’m ready for the challenge.
I found that, in the UK, and in Italy for that matter, there is a rhythm to the driving - generally. You tend to know what someone is going to do - there is almost a body language to the vehicle so defensive driving is fairly easy.

In the Halifax area, there is no predictability. At all. Sudden lane changes, cutting you off, indicating when halfway through the manoeuvre, sudden stopping to let a car out or a pedestrian jay walk, to name but a few.
Old May 9th 2018, 3:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon that someone on BE - from every province and most cities - has said that about where they live, so it's probably another of those all the same Canada-wide things.

In the Halifax area, there is no predictability. At all. Sudden lane changes, cutting you off, indicating when halfway through the manoeuvre, sudden stopping to let a car out or a pedestrian jay walk, to name but a few.
We get that consideration for others too.
Old May 10th 2018, 1:05 am

I promised not to comment on every aspect and I shall honour that. However, what’s with the four-way stop signs at junctions? Nobody seems to know who has right of way and as a tourist, I don’t appear to be anymore clueless and indecisive than the locals!

Also, I think it’s high time that the moderators of this site put a ‘sticky’ thread about the dish known as ‘Poutine’. Something along the lines of ‘Thinking of emigrating to Canada? Try this first...’

Was persuaded to try it tonight. All kinds of wrongness but a bit like a donner kebab in the UK, if I was drunk I’d definitely have it again.

All that said, Halifax and The Maritimes in general are amazing and we’re loving our trip so far!

Last edited by crofty82; May 10th 2018 at 1:18 am.
Old May 10th 2018, 1:28 am
Oscar nominated

... what’s with the four-way stop signs at junctions? Nobody seems to know who has right of way and as a tourist, I don’t appear to be anymore clueless and indecisive than the locals!
I think that's the politeness issue. First there, first to go. But if there are cars arriving at all four points it might be hard to judge the order of the other three if they beat you.

I always think it's a bit unfair on the second in line because they may be, say, the third car at the 4-way but the one in front prevents them getting to the stop point. Then other cars may arrive after but get to their stop point first and, therefore, go first.

And then they might all be saying "after you" no, "after you."
Old May 10th 2018, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I think that's the politeness issue. First there, first to go. But if there are cars arriving at all four points it might be hard to judge the order of the other three if they beat you.

I always think it's a bit unfair on the second in line because they may be, say, the third car at the 4-way but the one in front prevents them getting to the stop point. Then other cars may arrive after but get to their stop point first and, therefore, go first.

And then they might all be saying "after you" no, "after you."

Officially it's in order of arrival ....... so first to arrive, first to go. Then just go in sequence. The second in line gets to go after the 4th one to arrive at the line has moved. If you label the 4 corners A, B, C ,D
and the cars arrived in that sequence ............ Car A would go then B, then C, then A2, B2, etc etc etc

If cars arrive at the same time ..............the car on the left gives way to the car on the RIGHT

You find these signs all over Canada and the US, used at potentially dangerous accident corners when there isn't enough call for traffic lights to be installed.

They work very smoothly here, even with all our foreign trained drivers
Old May 10th 2018, 10:09 am

Thanks Scilly and Bristol, that has cleared it up and will make today’s drive easier!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.