Reload this Page >

Places/areas to rent Toronto - 25 year old girl

Places/areas to rent Toronto - 25 year old girl

Old Oct 18th 2017, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

sophiejones19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Places/areas to rent Toronto - 25 year old girl

Hi guys,

I have just got my Letter of Introduction or (POE). I now have 1 year to enter Canada. YAY.

I am a 25 year old girl, hoping to get a Finance job in downtown Toronto.
Where is a good area to rent a condo? I'd like a max 50 minute commute.
Also, I did a bit of searching, and is there any condo I could get for $1500 max?
I have seen ridiculous prices so far!

I have no friends or relatives, and currently still doing my research on areas for 'young professionals' or 'millennial' but I am not too fussy, as long as it is a relatively safe area! I hear a lot about Yonge and Elgington and I think Wellesley?

I live in West London right now, still at my parents house and only 30 min car ride/tube to Central London, the City. So I guess I am quite a city girl!

Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Places/areas to rent Toronto - 25 year old girl

Yes, Yonge & Eglinton would be an obvious candidate. Great area to live. Lived there for a few years and still go back often. There's a TTC subway station right there for your commute downtown. Not sure what $1500 gets you there these days though. You might need to share.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

LuckyNumberFun is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sophie, I'm also 25 and living with my parents in London. I have my POE letter and am hoping to move to Toronto by next September. Fingers crossed I can get a marketing job over there. I've joined a facebook group called Bunz Home Zone where people are always looking for housemates, or advertising their flat for rent, that's been really useful to see what I can for my money in Toronto.

I'll also follow this thread in case anyone else has any good advice! Really nervous about how long it could potentially take for me to find somewhere to live!
Old Oct 18th 2017, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

Ah thank you so much both, for your replies!

And thanks for that site!

I guess I will probably have to stretch my budget! I would love to live alone, as I've never lived alone before.

How are you going to apply for your Marketing job? My sister's friend from London who moved to Canada found a job in a Canadian bank within 2 months after moving there a year ago. His advice was to move over to Canada and THEN look for a job, but he had family to stay with so it was okay. I am quite hesitant, as I'm not too familiar with recruitment in Canada right now.
(and I don't want to be renting an apartment for 3 months without any income - and use up all my savings!)
Old Oct 18th 2017, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

When you say “finance job” what exactly do you mean? What is your experience in the finance field? Are you talking entry level or something more senior? Canadian banks are doing some personnel trimming at the moment.
It’ll be diff8cult finding an unshared apartment for $1500 p/m in Toronto Centre. For about an hour’s commute you could probably find something by train to east or west of city.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

I echo that it'll be difficult to find your own place but that price now. Check out places like Bunz Home Zone, Kijiji, Craigslist, Viewit.ca to get an idea of what you're battling against, market is incredibly competitive at the moment.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 2:09 am
Just Joined

juliej is an unknown quantity at this point

I would seriously suggest trying to find somewhere to share. T-Dot is expensive and HUGE! There are so many options but once you factor in everything on top of rent, it quickly adds up.

When do you actually plan on moving, time of year will have a big impact on job hunting.
Old Oct 19th 2017, 5:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies.
I'm looking for Finance Analyst or Junior Finance Analyst roles, in any industry/sector - however I have the most experience in creative/media/advertising companies.
I have 6 years experience in Finance.. 3 years of general accounting and 3 years of analytical experience. However, I only have a diploma in Accounting and I'm almost finishing off my CIMA (this is like CMA for Canadians I think).
When I have done my searches, a lot ask for a degree - something I don't have. Is it picky like that?
In London, you can be qualified by experience but bottom line you need an accounting qualification like CIMA, ACCA, ACA.

Which now I have thought... would Toronto be the best market for me? Or a different province in terms of job? Would finding a minimum $50k job (equivalent to London wages) a bit too much to ask for? As I am in a good place right now, however I would love Canadian Finance experience!
Old Oct 19th 2017, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

What are your motivations for moving to Canada?

If it's mainly that the idea of living and working abroad for a while appeals, then by all means go for it. I think you should seriously considering sharing accommodation to keep your costs down while you search for work, find your bearings in the city and try to make new friends. Paying a lot of rent to live on your own while you look for work might not be the best plan.

If gaining new work experience to advance your career is important to you, then you need to consult with others in the accounting field to figure out if this is a good move. If a lot of job openings are asking for an undergraduate degree, then you need to determine how much of an obstacle that would be. How hard would it be to work on obtaining an accounting degree in the UK or in Canada while you are employed?
Old Oct 19th 2017, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute

$1500 isn't a lot but it is possible... early this year we paid $1600 / month for a two-month sublease in a condo right next to the Air Canada Centre, which is about a 10 minute walk to the heart of the financial district. We're paying now $1350 / month in another sublet, for three months this time, in West Queen West, which is about a 30 minute streetcar ride west of the financial district.

I think we got pretty lucky with both, but it does suggest that it is possible. The drawback is that these are sublets hence short-term fixes.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Thank you MarylandNed, after some talking with my family, they advised me the same. To live/share with other people and make friends.
And yes - I have just started to look into the finance and accounting recruitment in Ontario/Vancouver.. it seems to varied. However, a 'minimum requirement of a diploma in accounting or business' seems to be the route I will be going for.
I do not think I will be going to study for a degree to be honest, as it would not impact my career in London at all.

Moving to Canada is very much dependent on securing a similar job that I have now... and I have a year to decide/enter Canada before my work permit runs out.. so I guess I'll see!

Thank you DeanN, seems like an awesome deal. I will definitely look into all of this all very exciting!
Old Oct 20th 2017, 10:40 am
Just Joined

https://www.theglobalcouple.com/call...rking-holiday/

I've just read this blog too, and seems like finding a job is a major problem!
...oh to have an easyyyyy life haha
Old Oct 20th 2017, 12:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sophiejones19

The other major point there is that, if you do find work in Toronto, you're pretty much stuck in Toronto as it's difficult to get the time off to go anywhere else. I don't see this as a big problem for a year or so but, after that, I think it would grate.

I think the biggest factor in hiring young people in the GTA is nepotism, firms hire the children of people who already work there and only if there was a phase of infertility will they look at better qualified candidates. There's no level playing field and merit isn't enough. Someone coming from abroad isn't likely to have an uncle who's a VP so the way in is to cultivate people and to get introductions by other avenues. The accounting firm I use is in Guelph so that's no good to you but lots of other posters will have accountants, jobs in finance, contacts of one kind or another. If you don't know anyone in real life who can help, pester posters.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seems like they wanted to have their cake and eat it. The under 30 working holiday visa is mostly designed for short-term seasonal work e.g. hotels, restaurants, tourism, etc. So, of course, many other employers are not going to be interested in hiring someone on a working holiday visa. Also, most seasonal jobs will be at or around minimum wage. The idea is that you can earn some money to help cover expenses - you probably also need to bring some savings with you especially if you want to travel. You can't live the high life in Vancouver on minimum wage and also head home with wads of cash. The whole blog is full of holes.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Oct 20th 2017 at 1:29 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2017, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

LuckyNumberFun is an unknown quantity at this point

How are you going to apply for your Marketing job? My sister's friend from London who moved to Canada found a job in a Canadian bank within 2 months after moving there a year ago. His advice was to move over to Canada and THEN look for a job, but he had family to stay with so it was okay. I am quite hesitant, as I'm not too familiar with recruitment in Canada right now.
(and I don't want to be renting an apartment for 3 months without any income - and use up all my savings!)
I know a recruiter for marketing who lives in Toronto, so she said she'd help me out with a job when I got there. Good luck with the job hunt, looks like we're gonna need it!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.