Reload this Page >

Is it a pipe dream?

Is it a pipe dream?

Old Sep 5th 2013, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Steve_73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it a pipe dream?

Hi everyone
I posted the message below on the US forum and I was directed to this part of the board for further help, as I mention below any expertise you could provide or if anyone has been in a similar position and would like to tell me how it went for them I would be very grateful:

Hi I'm new to this forum, I didnt even know it existed!

My wife and I have recently been discussing the viability of leaving the UK, we have both had our fill of it.

We are starting tentative discussions into looking at the possibility of going to either the USA or Canada.

Obviously we both know that the grass isn't always greener, but I think neither of us wants to think "what if" 30 years down the line either.

One of my concerns though is my age, I have just recently turned 40.
Is that too old to be looking to move to the USA or Canada?

My other concern is career prospects, I am degree qualified and have 15 years banking and insurance experience behind me. Last year I took voluntary redundancy and have completed a post graduate in Software Engineering and am looking to then complete a conversion Masters.
Would this work experience and educational background stand me in good stead or is my age a stumbling block that would not be possible to be overcome?

Sorry if I have gone on a bit but I imagine there are people here with a great deal of expertise and experience and I know that anything you tell me will be very helpful in our thoughts and discussions
Old Sep 5th 2013, 11:07 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it a pipe dream?

maybe the following will start you off with some ideas or suggestions

not two old at 40, after all you are educated, experienced you have a decent chance IMO

Have you been to either the USA or Canada & looked around to see if this is where you'd like to go - what about Australia?

Have you looked by being there (or a web search) at a location in either place, looked at the job market available with your qualifications & expertise, the housing market etc... all of this is the usual preliminary stuff prospective immigrants do or think about.

That said - for the effort & cost, why not consider starting an application to both the US & Canada to see what happens & likely you may be accepted . nothing ventured - nothing gained
Old Sep 5th 2013, 11:15 am
Just Joined

Steve_73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks not2Old.

Ive been to the USA a lot and I love it there. I just love the lifestyle and opportunities.
I havent been to Canada for years but from speaking to friends it appears to be USA lite and I think I would have a better opportunity in getting into Canada than the States.

But thanks for coming back to me, its nice to know at least one person thinks Im young enough lol

And as you say nothing ventured nothing gained!
Old Sep 5th 2013, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Both husband and myself was 42 when we moved over 5 years ago and no regrets whats so ever
Old Sep 5th 2013, 11:38 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_73
Thanks not2Old.

Ive been to the USA a lot and I love it there. I just love the lifestyle and opportunities.
I havent been to Canada for years but from speaking to friends it appears to be USA lite and I think I would have a better opportunity in getting into Canada than the States.

But thanks for coming back to me, its nice to know at least one person thinks Im young enough lol

And as you say nothing ventured nothing gained!
You do need to search the US forum for info about what visa you might be able to get, and how to get it, the US is one of the hardest countries to emigrate to unless you have a shed load of cash, or a wife or GF who is already a USC. Canada is much simpler..
Old Sep 5th 2013, 12:55 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Both husband and myself was 42 when we moved over 5 years ago and no regrets whats so ever
how difficult (or not so difficult) for you at 42 was the immigration process?

Maybe for the OP you could share some ideas of the steps or thoughts to get them going

Thanks

BTW Steve - I hired several immigrants that came to Canada later in life - so, as I said at it seems others share the same thoughts .. your still young

Last edited by not2old; Sep 5th 2013 at 12:57 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

dwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud ofdwight-van-man has much to be proud of

I'm about to spent a fortnight of networking in Canada, spoken to a few employers in financial services which is my field also to tee up meetings, and none have been at all bothered about age (I'm 38), its qualifications, experience, do they like you that seems to be the key factors... That might change when they see the facial tattoos though...
Old Sep 5th 2013, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Yandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the roughYandros is a jewel in the rough

To the OP.

I wouldn't worry too much about age once you're in Canada. We (wife and I) moved over mid 2012; I was 50 at the time she a little older. We've had no problems settling in. I got a job within about 6 weeks (I'm a qualified accountant) and my wife got a part time job (which was all she wanted) about a month later. However, we are in Calgary where the economy is fairly healthy; I can't speak to any other areas of Canada.

From the immigration viewpoint I think age may be an issue. When we applied (early 2007 I think) the system was different and I got maximum age points because I was under 50 at the time. I believe the age points start reducing a lot earlier now. If you can get offered a job over here and apply on the back of that it will make the process a lot easier, but failing that you'll need to check on the CIC website whether you qualify or not.

Good luck.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 3:48 pm
Dichotomus tinker

OP, it seems everyone is of the same opinion & at your age & based on what you posted in your first post you have a good chance of getting in

Together with the encouragement from others that have posted to this thread & how they have done it - why not start the process with the link below

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ly-factors.asp
Old Sep 5th 2013, 3:48 pm
Dichotomus tinker

OP, it seems everyone is of the same opinion & at your age & based on what you posted in your first post you have a good chance of getting in

Together with the encouragement from others that have posted to this thread & how they have done it - why not start the process with the link below

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...ly-factors.asp

doing the calculator 67 points is the minimum - I came up with about 85 or better points based on what you've told us

Hey - its a start

Last edited by not2old; Sep 5th 2013 at 3:50 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ebonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond reputeEbonhawke has a reputation beyond repute

In Canada, industry has been somewhat regionalized: Automotive in Ontario, Forestry in BC, Oil in Alberta, Potash in Saskatchewan etc.

If you're goal is to continue on with the Insurance and Banking line of work should you move to Canada or the US, then you'll have opportunities to work pretty much wherever you'd like in either country.

As others have said, you're not too old at 40. Just need to keep in mind that you're coming to a new country with a different culture - things will be different, and in some instances may make you yearn for what you left in the UK (a number of British expats whinge about the quality of the cheese for example)

Canada has a number of cultural differences than the US. Perhaps one of the easiest ways to upset a Canadian is to tell them that the country is a lot like America. Google will probably lead you dozens of threads comparing the two countries, with probably conflicting responses - but should give you some idea.

Regardless of which country you choose, be aware that both countries can provide you with different experiences depending on where you relocate. Take some time with your wife and try and write down what you want and don't want as part of your experience. Make sure you include factors such as weather and population density - if you absolutely hate the cold and snow, then Fort McMurray probably isn't for you. If you'd like a bit of space, then downtown Toronto or New York City probably wouldn't work either.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 5:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_73
My other concern is career prospects, I am degree qualified and have 15 years banking and insurance experience behind me. Last year I took voluntary redundancy and have completed a post graduate in Software Engineering and am looking to then complete a conversion Masters.
Would this work experience and educational background stand me in good stead or is my age a stumbling block that would not be possible to be overcome?
Most likely you'd end up working at a counter at BMO. Those are pretty heavy duty qualifications, everyone likes to ship stuff off to India as I'm sure you know.

Read up on the RBC work permit scandal.

From your qualifications and experience I'd say you'd be better off starting up your own company, but that's tricky to do unless you qualify for the start-up visa. More likely you'd have to wangle a work permit, get sponsored for permanent residency, then do it. Which probably isn't a bad idea as you would become acclimated to how things work in Canada.

Not a minor undertaking though.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 5:36 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ebonhawke
Canada has a number of cultural differences than the US.
Canada is somewhere inbetween the UK and the US culturally, so if you like the US and you're from Britain you will probably be okay with Canada. Once you get used to the weather.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 5:39 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Oh yeah, do you have kids, that's an important factor. Schools I think are generally better in Canada than in the US (not always but mostly). Also it has a bearing on which country would be better to immigrate from a legal standpoint.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 5:51 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Steve_
Most likely you'd end up working at a counter at BMO. Those are pretty heavy duty qualifications, everyone likes to ship stuff off to India as I'm sure you know.
good points

Along those lines sometimes a new immigrant who is overly qualified in any field or profession may have to start one or two steps below their level what they left - unless of course they have secured a position prior to arrival.

One may have to learn the ropes, familiarize themselves with the work environment & surroundings - maybe learn new skills, even get re-qualified or get a Canadian designation/certification such as a CFP or a CIM whatever in that line of work

Last edited by not2old; Sep 5th 2013 at 5:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.