Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ping Ponging back to BC

Ping Ponging back to BC

Old Oct 10th 2018, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough
Default Ping Ponging back to BC

We're moving to Vancouver Island in January, after just over a year in Scotland. Previously we lived in Vancouver for four and a half years. We’re heading to the Comox Valley, and we’ve spent time on the island so have a bit insight into the area.

Would love some tips from island folks on how to make a good go of it out there. And anyone else who’s made it work second time out. Also what’s considered a decent income there? I’m confident we’ll be fine, but that BC cost of living can be a killer.

Cheers
Old Oct 10th 2018, 5:37 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ping Ponging back to BC

Originally Posted by biggayowl
We're moving to Vancouver Island in January, after just over a year in Scotland. Previously we lived in Vancouver for four and a half years. We’re heading to the Comox Valley, and we’ve spent time on the island so have a bit insight into the area.

Would love some tips from island folks on how to make a good go of it out there. And anyone else who’s made it work second time out. Also what’s considered a decent income there? I’m confident we’ll be fine, but that BC cost of living can be a killer.

Cheers
Comox Valley is lovely, as long as you have work and, therefore, an income. What do you do for a living? I would imagine if you can command a reasonable salary up there it would be a pretty nice area to live in. I know BC is considered expensive, but when we moved here, we came from one of the most expensive parts of London, so the transition was an easy one. We are also fortunate to have good careers which makes life affordable. We regularly travel up that way for the weekend.

Island life is fairly slow and I'd say reasonably relaxed. Sometimes the notion of "Island Time" is just an excuse for being bone idle and that can be frustrating. But if you can see beyond that and accept that it is what it is, you can have a very pleasant lifestyle here. I'm not sure I'd like to live that far up Island permanently; I like the proximity of where we are to the relative bustle of Victoria. So if a blast of Naniamo can satisfy that need, then the Comox Valley is a beautiful place.
Old Oct 10th 2018, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

The Comox Valley is lovely ................ but it's really a place for retirees, vacationers, work-from-homers and back-to-the-landers.

I'm not sure there is any industry, it's mainly service industry I believe. There is a Canadian Air Force base at Comox which is the West Coast major Air Search units ...... but staffed by air force SARs. Not sure if they have many civilian employees .. and there may be restrictions there.

The Island in general suffers from one main drawback .............. travel to and from, and travel down Island for major medical treatment.

Travel to and from the Island is expensive ......... and you'd really have to travel down to Nanaimo for easy ferry access to either Horseshoe Bay or Tsawassen on the Lower Mainland (ie Vancouver).

There is a ferry from Comox to Powell River on the Sunshine Coast that goes 4 times a day in each direction. Then you have to drive down the Sunshine Coast as far as Gibsons, with a ferry in between, and finally take a ferry over to Horseshoe Bay and a 30-45 minute drive to Vancouver. It takes almost all day!

You're currently looking at close to $100 each way for car, driver and passenger.

Or you can take a plane.

As for making a go of it the second time around .......... what made you leave the first time, and what is making you leave Scotland???

Be very sure that you are making the right decision this time around, or you'll be ping-ponging back and forth and never settling anywhere!
Old Oct 11th 2018, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

biggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the roughbiggayowl is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
What do you do for a living?
- I'm freelance, but my partner is a vet and has a job in Comox.

[So if a blast of Naniamo can satisfy that need, then the Comox Valley is a beautiful place.
- plan is to fly to Vancouver fairly regularly.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scilly
The Comox Valley is lovely ................ but it's really a place for retirees, vacationers, work-from-homers and back-to-the-landers.
- We're looking at moving to Cumberland, which has a declining average age (this might be from 60+ though )and it seems like it's a seeing its fair share of Vancouver housing refugees.

As for making a go of it the second time around .......... what made you leave the first time, and what is making you leave Scotland???
- family reasons, and I was studying for a masters. We both really liked BC and regretted coming back. As for leaving Scotland, I like it here, but it was autumn in the first week in August
Old Oct 11th 2018, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes ............... Cumberland, the centre of coal mining on the Island back in the day!

If your partner has a job as a vet, then you obviously have an income coming in.

But yes, the declining average age is from 70+, and yes, a lot of mainlanders are moving to the Island because housing WAS cheaper ........... those prices are rising rapidly due to the influx! However, Cumberland is not the area that I've been hearing people moving to ........ most seem to be going to Courtney and around there!

Fall in August eh??

We had spring in late May in Vancouver!
Old Oct 11th 2018, 8:36 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

- We're looking at moving to Cumberland, which has a declining average age (this might be from 60+ though )and it seems like it's a seeing its fair share of Vancouver housing refugees.

- family reasons, and I was studying for a masters. We both really liked BC and regretted coming back. As for leaving Scotland, I like it here, but it was autumn in the first week in August
My wife really likes Cumberland. It is a bit "rural", but if you like that it's not a problem. I always get a sense of pioneeriness when we travel up there. If you have the income to travel, there's no reason to feel isolated. From Naniamo you can travel to Vancouver by helicopter which takes you to Downtown, as do the floatplanes. If time isn't the enemy, the ferry from Nanaimo is a pleasant couple of hours. I think it all boils down to what you like. As a middle aged child owner, a quieter life in very appealing. No doubt one day our kids may have a different opinion.
Old Oct 13th 2018, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
As a middle aged child owner, a quieter life in very appealing. No doubt one day our kids may have a different opinion.
We're in the same boat. Hoping it's going to be a good place to raise the kids, but fully expecting them to head for brighter lights once they're old enough. I've long been of the opinion that Canada is only somewhere you can live once you're done with life's more hedonistic pleasures.
Old Oct 14th 2018, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Ping Ponging back to BC

Cheers
Hi
There's nothing wrong with a bit of ping ponging back and forth! We arrived on VI in 2006 but couldn't realistically make it work on one wage so we went back to Scotland with our second attempt in 2012. It will be 6 years that we are here now and it has been great! We live just by Swartz Bay so still rural.
We do mss Scotland for the scenery, historic buildings etc but feel the kids are better here than in Scotland. They love it here and have been fortunate in where we chose.
The cost of living has increased significantly since 2006- house prices are about 2-3x what they were then. We both work and two wages are definitely required. I haven't visited the Comox valley much but think the housing costs a little less as you are away from the Victoria commuter belt.
Our eldest has just started university at UVIC with the other two much younger. No concerns about schooling they have received. They are not desperate for bright lights but I am sure one day they may leave looking for something else! Currently bike trails, the beaches and nature take their time!
Hopefully Comox and the surrounding area will meet your needs. Island life suits us just fine!
Good luck on your pong back!

Old Oct 15th 2018, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
There's nothing wrong with a bit of ping ponging back and forth! We arrived on VI in 2006 but couldn't realistically make it work on one wage so we went back to Scotland with our second attempt in 2012. It will be 6 years that we are here now and it has been great!
- good to know it can work out second time around.
We do miss Scotland for the scenery, historic buildings etc but feel the kids are better here than in Scotland. They love it here and have been fortunate in where we chose.
- Wish I'd got to see more of Scotland, but the BC scenery is pretty hard to beat.

The cost of living has increased significantly since 2006- house prices are about 2-3x what they were then. We both work and two wages are definitely required. I haven't visited the Comox valley much but think the housing costs a little less as you are away from the Victoria commuter belt.
- They seem pretty reasonable for BC. Definitely cheaper than around Victoria, unless you head toward Sooke.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 4:18 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Get a well paying and rewarding job.
Old Oct 17th 2018, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
Get a well paying and rewarding job.
Hoping one of us has that covered already.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 12:12 am
"In cruce vincam"

Cheers
Hmmmm, that's a good question really. I guess if you can earn $70-100,000 each you wouldn't want for very much on a day to day basis? Personally I've never considered BC particularly expensive, but then we moved from an expensive part of South West London.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

What is a good income depends so much on what you want to do, and what your expectations are.

House prices in the Comox Valley seem to range from $325,000.00 to $1,850,000.00 according to recent reports on Google.

But then, how well do you live, or want to live? How much do you want to spend on food, drink, entertainment, clothes, dining out, recreation, etc etc ?

You've mentioned previously wanting to get off the Island ..... "flying fairly regularly to Vancouver" is what I think you said.

Have you checked how much flights cost??

These are prices quoted for Comox Valley Airport to YVR for the dates mentioned ......... that would be low season rates, at a guess ........

Thu., November 22 to Monday November 26 Those prices seem to be round trip

But then, where would you stay in Vancouver? How much would you be expecting to spend during those weekends/weeks off island?
Old Oct 18th 2018, 3:23 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

What is a good income depends so much on what you want to do, and what your expectations are.

House prices in the Comox Valley seem to range from $325,000.00 to $1,850,000.00 according to recent reports on Google.

But then, how well do you live, or want to live? How much do you want to spend on food, drink, entertainment, clothes, dining out, recreation, etc etc ?

You've mentioned previously wanting to get off the Island ..... "flying fairly regularly to Vancouver" is what I think you said.

Have you checked how much flights cost??

These are prices quoted for Comox Valley Airport to YVR for the dates mentioned ......... that would be low season rates, at a guess ........

Thu., November 22 to Monday November 26 Those prices seem to be round trip

But then, where would you stay in Vancouver? How much would you be expecting to spend during those weekends/weeks off island?

And what your income may top out at and what your base expenses are!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.