Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Physically giveup GB licence for BC drivers licence???

Physically giveup GB licence for BC drivers licence???

Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:27 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physically giveup GB licence for BC drivers licence???

Originally Posted by jaminsk1
If you decide to go back to the UK you can only swap your Canadian license for an automatic UK one unless you have proof that you took your test in a manual car (my ON license doesn't state this on it).
Just keep a copy of the number and they'll give you back your UK license allowing you to drive a manual.

...and you have to pay through the nose for hire cars.
Really? Can't say I've noticed any difference.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:50 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

... you have to pay through the nose for hire cars.
Will somebody please tell me which car rental company gives different prices depending on country of issue of driving licence? I have rented many cars around the world and never been asked upfront where my licence is from. I've never encountered a car rental web site that asks, nor have I ever seen any discount offered to those who qualified in any particular country. For me, this is myth until proven otherwise.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
Will somebody please tell me which car rental company gives different prices depending on country of issue of driving licence? I have rented many cars around the world and never been asked upfront where my licence is from. I've never encountered a car rental web site that asks, nor have I ever seen any discount offered to those who qualified in any particular country. For me, this is myth until proven otherwise.
They don't do that but I don't think jaminsk1 is claiming they do. The comparison is between borrowing a car, and paying the additional insurance costs, and hiring one. The former requires a UK license, the latter does not.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Just keep a copy of the number and they'll give you back your UK license allowing you to drive a manual.

Really? Can't say I've noticed any difference.
agreed about the manual one - as mentioned - they ask for proof but how many people do you know that kept their number? I know of a couple (including my brother) who didn't and he had a right ball ache trying to sort it out (have you tried contacting the DVLA lately?)

with respect to the car hire thing - I can be insured on my Mum's car on my UK license for a fortnight for about 40 pounds (they would not insure my wife at all with a canadian license) Show me any car hire company where I can get a car for a fortnight for that sort of money.

Not everyone will have access to someone else's car but for those that do, it can save a fair few quid.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:03 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

agreed about the manual one - as mentioned - they ask for proof but how many people do you know that kept their number? I know of a couple (including my brother) who didn't and he had a right ball ache trying to sort it out (have you tried contacting the DVLA lately?)

with respect to the car hire thing - I can be insured on my Mum's car on my UK license for a fortnight for about 40 pounds (they would not insure my wife at all with a canadian license) Show me any car hire company where I can get a car for a fortnight for that sort of money.

Not everyone will have access to someone else's car but for those that do, it can save a fair few quid.
Ok, I see what you were saying.

I think UK insurance companies may differ in their licensing requirements. My wife drove her father's car on a Canadian licence while visiting - his insurer just required drivers to be legally entitled to drive, which holders of foreign licenses are, for a limited time, as visitors.

Last edited by agr; Jul 4th 2012 at 4:05 pm. Reason: Afterthought: maybe it's just named drivers that have to be UK licensed.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

If you decide to go back to the UK you can only swap your Canadian license for an automatic UK one unless you have proof that you took your test in a manual car (my ON license doesn't state this on it).
IF you've only ever held a Canadian licence.

It's also illegal to hold more than one licence under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act:

Displaying licence that has been suspended, altered, etc.

35. (1) No person shall,

(a) display or cause or permit to be displayed or have in his or her possession a fictitious, imitation, altered or fraudulently obtained driver’s licence;

(b) display or cause or permit to be displayed or have in his or her possession a cancelled or suspended driver’s licence or a driver’s licence that has been changed in respect of its class, other than a licence card that has been marked by the Ministry as valid only to show the driver’s photograph;

(c) lend his or her driver’s licence or any portion thereof or permit the use of it by another person;

(d) display or represent as his or her own a driver’s licence not issued to him or her;

(e) apply for, secure or retain in his or her possession more than one driver’s licence;

(e.1) secure or retain in his or her possession a driver’s licence if he or she holds a photo card issued under the Photo Card Act, 2008; or

(f) fail to surrender to the Ministry upon its demand a driver’s licence that has been suspended, cancelled or changed in respect of its class. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 35 (1); 1996, c. 20, s. 4; 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 3 (1); 2008, c. 17, s. 35 (1-5).

Idem

(2) In subsection (1),

“licence” includes any portion thereof. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 35 (2).

Seizing licence

(3) Any police officer who has reason to believe that any person has in his or her possession a driver’s licence referred to in subsection (1) may take possession of the licence and, where the officer does so, shall forward it to the Registrar upon disposition of the case. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 35 (3); 2008, c. 17, s. 35 (6).

Second driver’s licence permitted

(4) Despite clause (1) (e), a person may hold a second driver’s licence if the second licence is,

(a) issued solely to permit the licensee to obtain experience in the driving of a motorcycle for the purpose of qualifying for a driver’s licence that authorizes him or her to drive a motorcycle; or

(b) required by any other province or territory of Canada or any state of the United States of America and has been issued in compliance with the law of that province, territory or state. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 35 (4).

Application for driver’s licence by photo card holder

(4.0.1) A person who holds a basic photo card or enhanced photo card issued under the Photo Card Act, 2008 may apply for a driver’s licence if he or she surrenders the photo card at the time of the application. 2008, c. 17, s. 35 (7).

Offence

(4.1) Every person who contravenes clause (1) (a) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $400 and not more than $50,000. 2005, c. 26, Sched. A, s. 3 (2).

Definition

(5) For the purposes of this section,

“driver’s licence” includes a licence issued by any other province or territory of Canada or by any state of the United States of America. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 35 (5).
This last bit makes it a bit vague though, because the definition of a driver's licence is a licence issued under the Act, and this bit here seems to only expand it to US or Canadian licences. So any other licence may not be recognized, although they are recognized for up to 60 days when you move to Ontario.

As there is a reciprocal arrangement with GB, they clearly are recognized as driver's licenses though, so a court might interpret holding a GB and Ontario licence together as being illegal. Not quite as clear as Alberta law.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

I did some asking around a couple of my other half's family in the legal game and they were pretty sure it was referring to more than one registered Ontario license - with respect to points and suspensions etc.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing as there are so many people posting in this thread from BC, I looked that one up too, from the Motor Vehicle Act 1996, section 25:

(4) If the applicant for a driver's licence has at any time before making the application held a driver's licence issued under this Act or in another jurisdiction, the applicant must, at the time that he or she is issued a driver's licence under this Act, surrender the last driver's licence or duplicate of it held by him or her, unless the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia on cause shown to the corporation's satisfaction dispenses with its production.

(5) At the same time that he or she has a driver's licence issued under this Act, a person must not have a driver's licence issued by another jurisdiction or have another driver's licence previously issued under this Act.
There are no exemptions that I can see, unlike in Ontario law. It's illegal, period.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:18 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

I did some asking around a couple of my other half's family in the legal game and they were pretty sure it was referring to more than one registered Ontario license - with respect to points and suspensions etc.
Well it clearly isn't just Ontario licences, it definitely is any licence issued in Canada or the US and might be wider than that, and it is an offence in its own right, fine of $400+.

“driver’s licence” includes a licence issued by any other province or territory of Canada or by any state of the United States of America.

Last edited by Steve_; Jul 4th 2012 at 4:20 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:54 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
There are no exemptions that I can see, unlike in Ontario law. It's illegal, period.
Well, your expert legal opinion differed from that of ICBC. Until a couple of years ago ICBC would hand back foreign driving licenses after passing the test. That they would do this was explicitly stated in their literature; it wasn't just the counter staff not knowing the law.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:11 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

It's a pretty clearly written statute. I can read. I can't find any literature on their website that says otherwise.

And besides the OP said:

ICBC demanded I hand over my old GB licence which I still have.
Which is what section 25(4) says they must do.

Last edited by Steve_; Jul 4th 2012 at 5:19 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_
It's a pretty clearly written statute. I can read. I can't find any literature on their website that says otherwise.

And besides the OP said:

Which is what section 25(4) says they must do.
It doesn't say it anymore because since 2010 they now have a reciprocal agreement with the UK and there is no longer any need to do a test.

Prior to this agreement they handed them back (but after 1996 when the law you quote was written) - something which was standard practice and can be attested to by anyone who moved to BC before the swap agreement came into effect. Not sure why you think I'm lying about this.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

I never said you were lying or even implied it, what happened in the past isn't at issue, the OP was asking why they did it now and that statute I quoted appears to be the reason. What they used to do doesn't really matter.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Just an update,
Apparently the canadian authorities tell DVLA that a licence has been issued and it is on the computer file at DVLA.
So technically, if you still have a UK one, it could be invalid if used in the UK ?
First one to have a UK accident/ticket can update the thread ?
cheers
Jerry
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:40 pm
Banned

wonderwoman1st is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChrisBoar
Ok so went into ICBC today to do my 5 year renewal (which I consider a scam, just to stiff me of $75, anyway...).

ICBC demanded I hand over my old GB licence which I still have. they never took it off me when I did my test 8 years ago. However they are telling me that since the receiprical B.C/UK licence swap came into effect 2 years ago, I have to hand over my GB licence now before I will get a my renewed BC licence.

Spoke to 3 other brits who have renewed recently and they did not have to give up their GB licence.

Anyone else renewed in the last 2 years come across this?

Chris
I didn't have to in Vancouver either, here in Toronto they asked me to give up my UK license recently.. I did as I had to and rang ICBC too who said the rules have changed there too so there in Vancouver they now have to as well.
I asked them here where my license for UK goes on handing it to them and they told me they send it back to the U.K.

No problem, so I updated my address with DVLA and informed them my license was coming back to them via the driving body in Toronto, and
DVLA sent me a replacement with my 2nd address (parents address in U.K) so I got my UK license back again anyway

I want my UK license so I can use it in the U.K, and my Canadian one so I can use it here, no problemo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.