Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Physically giveup GB licence for BC drivers licence???

Physically giveup GB licence for BC drivers licence???

Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physically giveup GB licence for BC drivers licence???

Also just thought I'd add - I have no intention of ever living in GB again so I couldn't give a toss about holding onto my old licence. Seems like a safety blanket issue to me.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 1:57 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_

It was only about five or six years ago that the DVLA started to enter into agreements with Canadian provinces.
Only if the province tells the DVLA you have given up your licence. When i went back to the UK and was hiring a car..they wanted proof that i had previously held a UK licence..when i spoke to the DVLA they had not been informed by Alberta that i had given up my UK licence for a Canadian one some 2 years previously..they even offered to reissue my UK licence if i wanted to.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 2:33 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Out of curiousity, do those who choose to hold on to their physical license with dear life renew it, and their photo, each time or just let it lapse?

Sounds like a lot of bother and a pointless exercise for getting nothing in return

Also, what UK address do you use? Parents? Other family? Your old one?

I find it all very strange.
Me too ..... it is a real obsession with some people.

Prior to finally settling in Canada I made three international moves followed by spells back in the UK. During all my times away (between 1977 - 1998) fretting about retaining my UK driving license was the furthest thing from my mind

Each time I moved back I just got DVLA (DVLC as it was then) to send me a replacement UK license. Not once did I have any trouble doing so. I also travelled back and forth to the UK on numerous occasions, hired cars with my US license with no problems/increased insurance or anything.

The only thing I did differently when we moved to Canada was to scan my UK paper license and photocard before swapping it for an AB license just in case hell happens to freeze over and I move back to England permanently

J
Old Jun 27th 2012, 5:33 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingle
Me too ..... it is a real obsession with some people.

Prior to finally settling in Canada I made three international moves followed by spells back in the UK. During all my times away (between 1977 - 1998) fretting about retaining my UK driving license was the furthest thing from my mind

Each time I moved back I just got DVLA (DVLC as it was then) to send me a replacement UK license. Not once did I have any trouble doing so. I also travelled back and forth to the UK on numerous occasions, hired cars with my US license with no problems/increased insurance or anything.

The only thing I did differently when we moved to Canada was to scan my UK paper license and photocard before swapping it for an AB license just in case hell happens to freeze over and I move back to England permanently

J
Keeping it - for me anyway - is not an obsession nor something I fret about it's just like keeping all your ticket stubs from concerts.

On another note, I've had any issue renting a car with a stick shift in the UK with my CA license and I've never been asked if I could drive one.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 5:49 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
FFS they don't just throw it in the bin. They inform the whatever it's called in the UK of the swap and when or if you go back to the UK you can just swap back again. Some people.
they send it back to the DVLA and they chuck it in the bin
Old Jun 27th 2012, 5:58 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
they send it back to the DVLA and they chuck it in the bin
Probably. But it's a British bin. This, for whatever reason, seems crucial to some.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 4:59 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Only if the province tells the DVLA you have given up your licence. When i went back to the UK and was hiring a car..they wanted proof that i had previously held a UK licence..when i spoke to the DVLA they had not been informed by Alberta that i had given up my UK licence for a Canadian one some 2 years previously..they even offered to reissue my UK licence if i wanted to.
I have never heard of a car rental company offering a deal based on where your licence is issued. How does this work? Online reservations don't even ask you about your licence - it's just assumed that you have one that legally entitles you to drive at destination. Does the price of insurance go down?
Old Jun 28th 2012, 6:08 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
I have never heard of a car rental company offering a deal based on where your licence is issued. How does this work? Online reservations don't even ask you about your licence - it's just assumed that you have one that legally entitles you to drive at destination. Does the price of insurance go down?
nothing to do with deals just wanted to make sure i had held a driving licence for more than a year.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 5:44 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
when i spoke to the DVLA they had not been informed by Alberta that i had given up my UK licence for a Canadian one some 2 years previously..they even offered to reissue my UK licence if i wanted to.
When I got mine it was shortly after the agreement went into force, they told me it went to the office in Edmonton and they notified the DVLA. This caused me some problems because then I went to get car insurance and they wanted to see it, by which time the registry had already sent it to Edmonton. Anyway, fortunately my old insurer had a copy of it they sent me.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Probably. But it's a British bin. This, for whatever reason, seems crucial to some.
I guess it could be classed as a British bin as its now been imported and is now on British soil but if I was a betting man and they looked at the bottom of the bin they would probably see stamped Made in China
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:58 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

http://www.servicealberta.ca/1671.cfm

It is the law in Alberta that a person must surrender any and all foreign driver’s licences when they obtain any class of Alberta operator’s licence. It is illegal in Alberta to hold any other driver’s licence and an Alberta driver’s licence at the same time.
I haven't looked it up but I think it's one of those offences where it is subject to a fine of $115 if somehow the police find out about it.

We have lots of laws in Alberta on driving and they all seem to be a bit toothless to me. Go through a speed camera, you get a fine, not points. Get pulled over, you get on average three points (varies depending on how fast you were going) but you have to get 15 to have your licence suspended, plus if you contest it, the prosecutor usually offers to halve the number of points.

And if by some miracle you do actually get your licence suspended, you can apply for a "restricted" licence that only allows for essential travel, basically.
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:10 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

My uk one s still currently valid ...... I use it on the odd occasion i am off out somewhere that needs idea but i dont want to worry bout loosing me BC dl!
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:14 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
My uk one s still currently valid ...... I use it on the odd occasion i am off out somewhere that needs idea but i dont want to worry bout loosing me BC dl!
I assume you mean ID as that's how I use mine - especially if I'm travelling.

I'm in the same position as JonboyE - they gave mine back to me when I passed my test. Although when I renewed my BC licence recently they never even mentioned my GB one - is this a new thing?
Old Jun 30th 2012, 5:17 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I assume you mean ID as that's how I use mine - especially if I'm travelling.

I'm in the same position as JonboyE - they gave mine back to me when I passed my test. Although when I renewed my BC licence recently they never even mentioned my GB one - is this a new thing?
Bloody ipad! Yes ID! Never questioned when I renewed BC either!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

looked into this when I moved to Toronto recently.

If you swap your license, you have to surrender your UK license. If you take a ON test, you can keep your UK license.

If you decide to go back to the UK you can only swap your Canadian license for an automatic UK one unless you have proof that you took your test in a manual car (my ON license doesn't state this on it).

I told the DVLA that I had lost my license before I moved over and got a duplicate. Then handed my old one into the Service Ontario people in exchange.

The main reason is that I still have a UK address (my parents) and it means that I can get insured on their cars / friends cars if I go back otherwise insurers won't touch you ( I know this as I tried to sort it with my wife) and you have to pay through the nose for hire cars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.