British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Phone Canada to U.K. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/phone-canada-u-k-632410/)

or4ngecrush Sep 24th 2009 1:59 pm

Phone Canada to U.K.

This has probably been posted before I tried searching but didn't see an answer but I wanted to know whats the best and cheapest way to call land line to land line.

Now I know about skype etc.... but it's land line information I am looking for, I have seen some companies doing deals for $$$ per month and I've used calling cards, also I am wondering if east link do any deals with international calls?

What do people think? What do people use?

I'm looking for a way to call my parents and not having to wait for them to come online, even if it's a 10 min call to say hi. Also I want to speak to my grandparents and they don't use computers so I would love to call them and tell them what I'm doing. I haven't spoke to them in nearly a year.

thanks

Buchan6 Sep 24th 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Phone Canada to U.K.

I used the Canadian Superstore cards. Dirt cheap approx 5c/minute. Once you buy the card you can top up online, check remaining time etc.

You dial a Canadian freephone number then select your options to dial overseas. It was invaluable as I could phone weekdays from work at break without having the call bounced as it was overseas.

Cookie Sep 24th 2009 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush (Post 7961226)
This has probably been posted before I tried searching but didn't see an answer but I wanted to know whats the best and cheapest way to call land line to land line.

Now I know about skype etc.... but it's land line information I am looking for, I have seen some companies doing deals for $$$ per month and I've used calling cards, also I am wondering if east link do any deals with international calls?

I'm looking for a way to call my parents and not having to wait for them to come online, even if it's a 10 min call to say hi. Also I want to speak to my grandparents and they don't use computers so I would love to call them and tell them what I'm doing. I haven't spoke to them in nearly a year.

thanks

Emma, I have enquired about overseas calling package with Aliant and it is not available from NS. My friend in Ontario has a great deal with free overseas for a really good monthly fee.

I have used a Bell prepaid card since I arrived here. You can top up online and get free $$ when you top up certain amounts. However, I noticed last week that Canada Post do a card and it's cheaper at only 3c per minute to the UK. I can't find the details online but that's a good price and I am going to change over. :)

Luckyone Sep 24th 2009 2:24 pm

thanks

Hi there, my better half would know better than me as I rarely call home to the UK but we're on Aliant who have some pretty good 'Friends' plans. However she uses either LooneyCalls where you just put 10-10-565 in front of the number you call and the calls then only cost $1 for up to 38 minutes, and then 5 cents a minute if you want to chat beyond the 38 minutes. Their info is here
http://www.looneycall.ca/rates.php
Bottom line with them is you don't want to use them for a short call as they'll charge you the looney for all calls to the UK for the first 38 minutes...make sense?
For shorter calls we use Yak who charge 9 cents a minute for any length calls to the UK. You just put 10-10-925 before the number you dial in the UK, there details are here:
http://www.yak.ca/product/10-10-yak/overview

Hope these help....my good deed for the day - hopefully :fingerscrossed:

or4ngecrush Sep 24th 2009 2:31 pm

ok cool thanks for replies, I've been using VOX cards from my cell but when I move I will be using the landline to call and wondered if a plan would be cheaper.

https://vox.ca/RatesTool.do

possibly just stick with Vox

Simon Legree Sep 24th 2009 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cookie (Post 7961308)
Emma, I have enquired about overseas calling package with Aliant and it is not available from NS. My friend in Ontario has a great deal with free overseas for a really good monthly fee.

I have used a Bell prepaid card since I arrived here. You can top up online and get free $$ when you top up certain amounts. However, I noticed last week that Canada Post do a card and it's cheaper at only 3c per minute to the UK. I can't find the details online but that's a good price and I am going to change over. :)

I use Primus. I've used them for years and never had a problem. No hassle, cheap rates. There are different plans available. I can even make calls using my cel phone to anywhere in Canada and it's not long distance and calls from it to UK are the same rate as my landline. Aliant aren't anywhere close, nor are Eastlink on UK calls. I think I pay 4c a minute to the UK and most other places in the world.

Louisecooke Sep 24th 2009 2:49 pm

My parents are with Talk Talk back home and can call me for free, so I get them to do that :thumbup:

or4ngecrush Sep 24th 2009 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Louisecooke (Post 7961434)
My parents are with Talk Talk back home and can call me for free, so I get them to do that :thumbup:

he he unfortunately my folks don't have a BT land line so they can't, good idea though

thedignans Sep 24th 2009 2:58 pm

thanks

Hi Emma,

We got a new thing through the mail for cheap calls to the UK. You dial 10 10 710 then the number you are wanting to dial including area codes. So for us 10 10 710 011 44 ............ the calls go directly onto your landline Bill. You get 48 minutes for $0.99 then $0.04 per minute afterwards.
Check and see if its available inyour area. WE have Eastlink and we get it. I don't know if its available through any other provider.
Anyway check it out.

Julie

or4ngecrush Sep 24th 2009 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by thedignans (Post 7961461)
Hi Emma,

We got a new thing through the mail for cheap calls to the UK. You dial 10 10 710 then the number you are wanting to dial including area codes. So for us 10 10 710 011 44 ............ the calls go directly onto your landline Bill. You get 48 minutes for $0.99 then $0.04 per minute afterwards.
Check and see if its available inyour area. WE have Eastlink and we get it. I don't know if its available through any other provider.
Anyway check it out.

Julie

oh ok I'll look into that I will be moving and the house has east link well it better seeing as the BF works for them lol

Thanks Jools

2aT Sep 24th 2009 3:50 pm

thanks

We always use caztel's 10 10 710 to uk it is 99 cents for 45 mins, anywhere in Canada or North America 2 hours for 99 cents. It goes right on our Bell bill. No sign up fees but they do stipulate that changes in price could happen at any time without notice. So far been using it for over two years and the amount of time has increased from 1/2 hour to UK and I believe one hour North America/Canada and the price has always stayed at 99 cents.

Essex_Man Sep 24th 2009 4:49 pm

Go to your local Mac's Milk and asked for CiCi card. But only CiCi nothing else. 5 bucks for 200 minutes and you can use your phone at home. It always beats any long distance plan and I've used to call other parts of Canada. :thumbup:

http://www.cicicallingcard.com/

http://www.cicicallingcard.com/calli...ges/cici_5.gif

leepee Sep 24th 2009 5:13 pm

Hiya....

Guess it depends on how often you want to talk but I get 1000 minutes to anywhere in the world for $19.99 a month through Telus....Not sure if it the cheapest but it does mean I am able to chat to my parents twice a week and to sister in the US once a week and to BF in Australia once every couple of weeks....Also it covers all my Canadian long distance. I have never once gone over the 1000 mins!!

hth
Lisa

pennyhp Sep 24th 2009 5:16 pm

We have our landline with Rogers and for $25 a month extra we get 24/7 calling to anywhere in Europe. Also with that package my long distnce Canadian calls are 5 cents a minute.

They have a few different packages, but that was the one that suited us best.

Deva Sep 24th 2009 5:46 pm

We use Just Dial for long distance and international. Very easy to prepay and only 2.6c/min for UK/Canada regardless of call duration.

http://justdial.ca/home.html