PhD at University of Ottawa

Wikiposts

PhD at University of Ottawa

Old Dec 17th 2011, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

khan200us is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PhD at University of Ottawa

Hi
I hold a M.Sc. degree in E-Commerce from Middlesex University and now I am in Finland, doing a M.Sc. in Mobile Commerce Technologies. I want to do a PhD in the business or ICT program from Canada but don't know where to start from. How to find universities who offer P.hD in my related field of study and I would like to avail the opportunity of either Ontario PNP or the new PhD stream.

Regarding scholarships or TA/RA positions, which ones offer.

I have University of Ottawa in mind, but they all ask for GRE/GMAT for PhD. Is there any which does not ask for it.

Tuition fee wise, which are cheaper?

Please advise
Old Dec 17th 2011, 5:50 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PhD at University of Ottawa

I suggest you look at the research literature to see who's active there. All of the universities have websites with a lot of info on research among many other things.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 8:54 am
Canadians!!

Jo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to allJo&Alex is a name known to all

Unless somebody who is just starting a PhD in your same area happens to read your post and just unload all of his/her pre-aplication research here, I doubt you will find answers to all your questions.

If you like the University of Ottawa and like the programme they offer, I'd say just take the GRE. It's not that hard or expensive, I don't think you should let it change your plans.

Most PhD students are offered RA money by their supervisors (at least this is true for life sciences, I don't know about other areas of study, sorry...). I find the application process a bit different here, as you are expected to find a supervisor first, and once somebody accepts you into their lab/office, you just apply to the appropriate academic department. They recommend your admission and you get in (provided you satisfy the department minimum academic requirements). So what you should do is to begin looking for potential supervisors (ie people who do research in areas that interest you) and contact them to see if they are looking for PhD students. If you happen to know somebody right now who collaborates with a professor in Canada, I would get them to put in a word for you, it always helps...

Another thing: if you are offered an RA you pay resident tuition rates, makes a big difference.

Good luck with your application!
Old Dec 24th 2011, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

khan200us is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jo&Alex
Unless somebody who is just starting a PhD in your same area happens to read your post and just unload all of his/her pre-aplication research here, I doubt you will find answers to all your questions.

If you like the University of Ottawa and like the programme they offer, I'd say just take the GRE. It's not that hard or expensive, I don't think you should let it change your plans.

Most PhD students are offered RA money by their supervisors (at least this is true for life sciences, I don't know about other areas of study, sorry...). I find the application process a bit different here, as you are expected to find a supervisor first, and once somebody accepts you into their lab/office, you just apply to the appropriate academic department. They recommend your admission and you get in (provided you satisfy the department minimum academic requirements). So what you should do is to begin looking for potential supervisors (ie people who do research in areas that interest you) and contact them to see if they are looking for PhD students. If you happen to know somebody right now who collaborates with a professor in Canada, I would get them to put in a word for you, it always helps...

Another thing: if you are offered an RA you pay resident tuition rates, makes a big difference.

Good luck with your application!
Another thing: if you are offered an RA you pay resident tuition rates, makes a big difference. DO YOU mean that if offered a Research Assistant, I shall be treated as a home student instead of an International student in terms of tuition fees?

I am an FSW1 applicant, and my plan was to do a PhD at reduced rate when I get the PR visa. If that ever happens in my natural life, would I be in breach of my immigration status?because on FSW PR visa, they want you to look for work and then engage in an employment. They don't offer you a FSW visa to study. My intentions were and still are to save money by paying the landed immigrant fee instead of an international student fees. The difference is worth several thousand dollars. Is it wrong? or is it just OK?

I have made a good Research plan and am going to throw it in different places in Canada and perhaps in Europe. Funded PhD or with an RA/TA position is brilliant. My NOC for FSW by the way is also 4131. So, it seems the right choice. But will I get a RA position with the PhD? or am I building the castles in the air

Thanks
Old Dec 24th 2011, 12:02 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Any fee to be paid should be clear in the Uni literature. In my case it was either paid by my supervisor or waived as either a TA or RA. There is no reason why you cannot legally study while under PR status.