Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pets and Medicines

Pets and Medicines

Old May 1st 2010, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pets and Medicines

Hi
Hope someone can shed some light on Pet medication and whether we can legitimately travel with it. We plan to fly separately but on the same day as the dog, and with different airlines for cost reasons.

My dog has serious allergy problems and throughout the year requires, steroids, antibiotics, ear drops and Piriton. I am planning to stock up on these before we fly for good. Will I need a letter from my vet about her medications? It will not affect her being passed fit to fly.
Any thoughts on this...anyone done similar?
Thanks
Stef
Old May 1st 2010, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

jomill1967 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pets and Medicines

Hello

Not sure if it's the same, but I travelled with a big stock of medications for me when we came over. I put it all in my hand luggage and kept with me copies of prescriptions all showing it to be in my name. No-one even looked at it - I was surprised cos I'm sure on the scanner my medicines would have just looked like little sachets of white powder, so I thought they'd at least ask the question! To be safe, as you said, I guess if you just have something written by your vet listing what you're travelling with and the amounts etc and receipts to show you've bought it, then if someone asks, you can just explain.
Cheers
Jo

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
Hope someone can shed some light on Pet medication and whether we can legitimately travel with it. We plan to fly separately but on the same day as the dog, and with different airlines for cost reasons.

My dog has serious allergy problems and throughout the year requires, steroids, antibiotics, ear drops and Piriton. I am planning to stock up on these before we fly for good. Will I need a letter from my vet about her medications? It will not affect her being passed fit to fly.
Thanks
Stef
Old May 1st 2010, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jo
Thanks for your reply, we will be travelling with a stock of our own prescription medicines too, so I will do likewise. I was just a tad concerned as we will not be travelling with the dog on the same flight, but will have all her stock of meds with us. Yep...shake us and we will RATTLE!
lol
Stef

Originally Posted by jomill1967
Hello

Not sure if it's the same, but I travelled with a big stock of medications for me when we came over. I put it all in my hand luggage and kept with me copies of prescriptions all showing it to be in my name. No-one even looked at it - I was surprised cos I'm sure on the scanner my medicines would have just looked like little sachets of white powder, so I thought they'd at least ask the question! To be safe, as you said, I guess if you just have something written by your vet listing what you're travelling with and the amounts etc and receipts to show you've bought it, then if someone asks, you can just explain.
Cheers
Jo
Old May 1st 2010, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

rohmanns is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi

Thanks
Stef
hi,

we are sending our dog (who is severely epileptic) over seperately from ourselves so have investigated this ourselves.

we will be taking a stock of medication with us(along with copies of the prescription and insurance,which they have confirmed will cover first 90days)

we will also be sending some medication with the pet.
so long as the fit to fly certificate states they are fit to fly,any routine prescription medication is acceptable.

we have been advised to take prescriptions to cover the next 3 months with you also to allow the change over of vets and also to cover any mishaps or loss of medicines..

hopes this puts your mind at ease

rohmanns
Old May 1st 2010, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thats great, thanks
Just what we needed to know.
Stef
Originally Posted by rohmanns
hi,

we are sending our dog (who is severely epileptic) over seperately from ourselves so have investigated this ourselves.

we will be taking a stock of medication with us(along with copies of the prescription and insurance,which they have confirmed will cover first 90days)

we will also be sending some medication with the pet.
so long as the fit to fly certificate states they are fit to fly,any routine prescription medication is acceptable.

we have been advised to take prescriptions to cover the next 3 months with you also to allow the change over of vets and also to cover any mishaps or loss of medicines..

hopes this puts your mind at ease

rohmanns