Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Pet transportation From UK to Canada

Pet transportation From UK to Canada

Old Dec 19th 2018, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Warwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to behold
Default Pet transportation From UK to Canada

Hello. We’re moving to Saskatchewan in April and want to book our dog (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) on the same flight as us. We’ve been in touch with BA and Air Canada, neither of which say they accept bookings from individuals, they say we have to use a 3rd party like Petair/AirPets £££££££££ We’ve also looked into Air Transat as they have good reviews etc. I don’t want to book our dog on a flight with stops, but it looks as though they only fly direct to Toronto and we need to get much further over (ideally Calgary or at a push Vancouver.
Does anyone have any ideas or knowledge that might help us? Thank you.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Warwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to beholdWarwickbowman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Pet transportation From UK to Canada

Originally Posted by Warwickbowman View Post
Hello. We’re moving to Saskatchewan in April and want to book our dog (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) on the same flight as us. We’ve been in touch with BA and Air Canada, neither of which say they accept bookings from individuals, they say we have to use a 3rd party like Petair/AirPets £££££££££ We’ve also looked into Air Transat as they have good reviews etc. I don’t want to book our dog on a flight with stops, but it looks as though they only fly direct to Toronto and we need to get much further over (ideally Calgary or at a push Vancouver.
I would add that he’s just had his rabies jab and we can organise his fit to fly certificate. He will have a pet passport too.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 8:56 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Correct you can only fly direct with a dog, they cant/dont want to transfer a live animal between planes. Air transat fly direct from Gatwick to Calgary or Vancouver, I have done both with them. We flew with our dog with AT from Gatwick to Vancouver and they were fantastic.

Oh and you dont need the pet passport as that is a european thing. It only serves the purpose of proving the rabies jabs (which are required for the pet passport) - if you're doing the rabies anyway and the fit to fly paperwork then you're sorted.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 5:00 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

No need for Pet Passport unless you are planning to return to the UK with the dog. For one way transportation you just need the fit to fly certificate

I understand that Air Transat fly direct to Calgary - and they also have an option to have your dog in the cabin with you .. if it's small enough
https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/Tra...d-service-dogs

Another option might be to fly into Toronto and then get an internal flight to Vancouver - Westjet also allow dogs in the cabin (but not from the UK)
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-info/pets

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 20th 2018 at 5:12 am.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

That’s great to know, thanks guys. I only looked briefly at Ait Transat online, I’ll give them a a call today to check out our options.
Old Dec 20th 2018, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hello lovely people. Just to let you know that we’ve successfully booked our flights to Canada through Air Transat and also booked our dog on the flight too.

The process we had to follow was:
Select the flight we wanted to book (direct, non-stop to Calgary).
Call/Email to check there was space in stowed baggage for the dog on the flight we wanted (they keep 4 spaces on each flight).
We booked our flight and then, with the booking confirmation number, we were then able to book a space for our dog.
Confirmation will be given 14 days before the flight and it has cost just $275 CAD as opposed to £970 if we had wanted to fly BA or Air Canada

Thank you all for your input – roll on April and our new life in Canada
Old Dec 20th 2018, 9:22 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello lovely people. Just to let you know that we’ve successfully booked our flights to Canada through Air Transat and also booked our dog on the flight too.

Call/Email to check there was space in stowed baggage for the dog on the flight we wanted (they keep 4 spaces on each flight).
We booked our flight and then, with the booking confirmation number, we were then able to book a space for our dog.
Confirmation will be given 14 days before the flight and it has cost just $275 CAD as opposed to £970 if we had wanted to fly BA or Air Canada

#TeamWorks
Is your dog too big to have in a carrier in the cabin? Air Transat do offer that too
If you haven't already seen it, we have some very useful lists for planning the move over, in our Wiki: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...gistics-Canada
Do stick around!
Old Dec 21st 2018, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi Siouxie

Rupert's plenty small enough to have in the cabin, but we didn't think it would be a comfortable flight with him at our feet and also worried about him wanting to get out if he could see us (or rather it would kill my hubby because he couldn't get him out). We think he'll be okay in stowed baggage, once he's settled I'm sure he'll sleep through it all.

This site has been a great resource, the Wiki articles are especially useful, and I really appreciate the work you and your colleagues do to keep it all going. I'll definitely be sticking around

Thanks again
Julie
Old Dec 28th 2018, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Phil_Jude will become famous soon enough

Hi,

We moved from UK to Saskatchewan (Regina) last September (2017). We used Air Transat from Gatwick to Toronto then onto Regina by West Jet. We traveled on the same aircraft as our pet (she was in the hold). The other airlines won't allow us to travel with her without using a 3rd party. Also, the other airlines were much more expensive. Our flight cost for myself, my husband and our dog was 1,300stg in total. We needed Vaccination records, Rabies vaccination and Fit to Fly Certification. The only thing needed to fly is Health Certificate (Fit to Fly Cert) but needed Vaccination Records for Immigration (Pet Passport). We had no issues with Immigration in Toronto as we showed Pet Passport and Fit to Fly Certificate. As you are moving from Rabies Free Country, they only scanned the passport at immigration in Airport, but it will be easier to transfer your dogs details in the vet practice with regard to their rabies vaccines. Our dog was very anxious with loud noises so we used Zyklene for 2 weeks before we left and when we picked her up in Toronto she was in great form (couldn't believe that she was so relaxed. No problems getting her back into kennel for flight from Toronto to Regina. She amazed us, that she was so chilled out!!
Jude RVN
Old Dec 28th 2018, 3:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Phil_Jude View Post
Hi,

We moved from UK to Saskatchewan (Regina) last September (2017). We used Air Transat from Gatwick to Toronto then onto Regina by West Jet. We traveled on the same aircraft as our pet (she was in the hold). The other airlines won't allow us to travel with her without using a 3rd party. Also, the other airlines were much more expensive. Our flight cost for myself, my husband and our dog was 1,300stg in total. We needed Vaccination records, Rabies vaccination and Fit to Fly Certification. The only thing needed to fly is Health Certificate (Fit to Fly Cert) but needed Vaccination Records for Immigration (Pet Passport). We had no issues with Immigration in Toronto as we showed Pet Passport and Fit to Fly Certificate. As you are moving from Rabies Free Country, they only scanned the passport at immigration in Airport, but it will be easier to transfer your dogs details in the vet practice with regard to their rabies vaccines. Our dog was very anxious with loud noises so we used Zyklene for 2 weeks before we left and when we picked her up in Toronto she was in great form (couldn't believe that she was so relaxed. No problems getting her back into kennel for flight from Toronto to Regina. She amazed us, that she was so chilled out!!
Jude RVN
Just as a reminder though..
You only need a Pet Passport if you are intending on returning to the UK at some point with your dog. A Pet Passport is not required to fly to Canada nor to enter Canada.. nor is the rabies vaccine required (though it's sensible to get it done) - you just need the Fit to Fly Certificate.
Old Jan 1st 2019, 11:30 am
Just Joined

amirk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we're in Manchester and I was wondering if you have to book direct or non-stop was also an option? Asking this because there's no direct flight to Vancouver form Manchester
Old Jan 1st 2019, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Phil Jude (post#9) travelled with their dog from Gatwick to Regina via Toronto without much issue, but we preferred to fly direct. I’ve just looked at Air Transat and can see that some of their flights are direct from Manchester to Vancouver, if you can be flexible. As an example .......
Spoiler:

I don’t know when you want to fly, but this was a random date I selected.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 1st 2019 at 4:55 pm. Reason: Extremely large images make the page difficult to read for some
Old Jan 1st 2019, 5:50 pm
Just Joined

Phil Jude (post#9) travelled with their dog from Gatwick to Regina via Toronto without much issue, but we preferred to fly direct. I’ve just looked at Air Transat and can see that some of their flights are direct from Manchester to Vancouver, if you can be flexible. As an example .......
I don’t know when you want to fly, but this was a random date I selected.
Thanks a lot mate. Unfortunatly we can't be that flexible, we're going to leave in about 2-3 months. I didn't notice post #9, I'll give AT a call tomorrow, maybe we can go with one stop.
Old Jan 5th 2019, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Today I finally could talk to Air Transat and they said they only move dogs in direct flights.
Guys, do you know any other reliable and affordable airlines moving dogs in connecting flights?
Old Jan 5th 2019, 10:28 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by amirk View Post
Today I finally could talk to Air Transat and they said they only move dogs in direct flights.
Guys, do you know any other reliable and affordable airlines moving dogs in connecting flights?
Most airlines will refuse to transport pets on connecting flights, even more so in winter. Have you checked to see if Air Transat have any non-stop flights? It's worth doing so - they start non stop usually in April, but there may be options in March.. it may mean travelling down to Gatwick to find one. https://www.airtransat.com/en-GB/air...HM&pax=1-0-0-0

If you can't get a non-stop flight then I'd recommend that you fly WITH your pet (Air Transat) as far as you can, then disembark (DYSWIDT ) and book an internal flight for you and your pet(s).. or consider driving across perhaps, if that might be feasible (or the train - Viarail allow pets onboard).
Post 9 is a good example - though all you need is the fit to fly certificate - the pet passport is only needed if you intend to return with your pet to the UK .. and the rabies vaccines are good to get but not obligatory

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 5th 2019 at 10:48 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.