Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Permanent resident visa

Permanent resident visa

Old Dec 9th 2001, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

sophiesola is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent resident visa

I am British and residing in England. My fiance is Canadian, residing in Canada. We have just decided to marry in January, in Canada while I visit him. We need to clarify a few do's and dont's...
I understand that I can apply for citizenship 36 months after we are married.
Still, once we do marry, can I immediately apply for a permanent resident visa, from Canada? Then can I return to England while the visa is being processed? Or do I have to remain in Canada as a visitor until my visa arrives? What if this exceeds the 90 days? I've heard it can take up to 6 months to receive this type of visa.
I ask these questions as I want to return to England and work there until I can legally work in Canada. Is this feasible?
Thank you!!!! I am still waiting to hear from the Canadian High Commission in London. They are taking a while to respond and as time is an issue we would really appreciate any help/advice
Sophie :-)