Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Permanent Residency=Smaller tax return?

Permanent Residency=Smaller tax return?

Old Mar 3rd 2016, 2:13 pm
Finally I'm LANDED

desire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to behold
Default Permanent Residency=Smaller tax return?

Hi all,
Any new permanent residents here filed recently and realized a significant drop in their tax return? Compared to my return, before I was landed, mine seems to be a lot less. I did the turbo tax but didn't file yet as I feel I may have done something wrong. I usually use HR block and I get a good return but they're seriously expensive.This is my first time using the turbo tax. Help
Mike
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 2:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency=Smaller tax return?

Originally Posted by desire68
Hi all,
Any new permanent residents here filed recently and realized a significant drop in their tax return? Compared to my return, before I was landed, mine seems to be a lot less. I did the turbo tax but didn't file yet as I feel I may have done something wrong. I usually use HR block and I get a good return but they're seriously expensive.This is my first time using the turbo tax. Help
Mike
Your tax bill has nothing to do with immigration status, entirely income based. If your income has not changed much and your tax return info has, you may want to recheck it. If you miss something off, like a T5, CRA are less forgiving of errors these days.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desire68
Hi all,
Mike
Take a look at Genutax. Maybe try using their software and see if it generates a different result. I am in no way affiliated with them, have used them successfully for 3+ years for my Canadian return.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 4:30 pm
Finally I'm LANDED

desire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to beholddesire68 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. Nothing else has changed for me in 8yrs so I've obviously done something wrong.
Thanks again,
Mike