British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/perhaps-someone-could-tell-me-nicely-what-they-like-dislike-about-canada-388618/)

oceanMDX Aug 9th 2006 4:38 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by montreal mike

Why other provinces don't demand the same I will never know.

Wouldn't that be redundant? :p

Oh, and you should check your facts - others shouldn't have to do that for you.

montreal mike Aug 9th 2006 4:39 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
"Disallowance" is a Federal power that is considered obsolete. If it were to be used it would nullify provincial legislation. Currently, Quebec only has to use the "nothwithstanding clause" in the Constitution to uphold legislation that is in violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disallo...nd_reservation

Thanks. Exactly my point. The disallowance clause is AFAIK still on the books. Why isn't it used then?

As far as the notwithstanding clause, well that is a real joke. Don't like having legislation challenged? No problem. Go use the Notwithstanding clause.

Go figure!

iaink Aug 9th 2006 4:41 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Let's say we agree to disagree and leave it at that. Readers are free to do their own research which BTW they should.

Of course we will disagree if you present arguments as facts that are factually inaccurate :rolleyes:

Readers are doing their homework, thats why they come to a site like this, and why its kind of nice to make sure that anything you present as a fact rather than an opinion, is in fact a fact!

Good God, if nothing else your presence here has got me agreeing with OceanMDX on something! You have no idea what the odds of that happening are! By the way, what would you say is the right temperature to start using your block heater is ...Oh. never mind ;)

montreal mike Aug 9th 2006 4:41 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Wouldn't that be redundant? :p

Oh, and you should check your facts - others shouldn't have to do that for you.


My mama taught me at a tender age never to believe anything one reads on the internet.

:rolleyes:

oceanMDX Aug 9th 2006 4:42 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Thanks. Exactly my point. The disallowance clause is AFAIK still on the books. Why isn't it used then?

As far as the notwithstanding clause, well that is a real joke. Don't like having legislation challenged? No problem. Go use the Notwithstanding clause.

Go figure!

The notwithstanding clause is controversial to be sure, but it wasn't Quebec that insisted on it. Alberta (Premier Lougheed) did that. The reason was because the provinces didn't want the Feds to intrude on provincial rights.

If the Feds used disallowance on Quebec, the separatists would have the "winning conditions" that they have been waiting for - you know that.

montreal mike Aug 9th 2006 4:47 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by iaink
Of course we will disagree if you present arguments as facts that are factually inaccurate :rolleyes:

Readers are doing their homework, thats why they come to a site like this, and why its kind of nice to make sure that anything you present as a fact rather than an opinion, is in fact a fact!

I am giving you my views based on the facts as I know them plus my personal experience. I can not guarantee their veracity. No more than other posters can guarantee theirs. I do not mislead. You will have to make up your own minds.

Maybe it would be simpler henceforth if I were to qualify every single statement I make with the words 'in my not so humble opinion .... ' : :)

Butch Cassidy Aug 9th 2006 4:47 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
The notwithstanding clause is controversial to be sure, but it wasn't Quebec that insisted on it. Alberta (Premier Lougheed) did that. The reason was because the provinces didn't want the Feds to intrude on provincial rights.

If the Feds used disallowance on Quebec, the separatists would have the "winning conditions" that they have been waiting for - you know that.

Why dont the pair of you take this pointless argument to your own little thread where you can poke your pathetic little tongues out at each other??

oceanMDX Aug 9th 2006 4:48 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by iaink
Good God, if nothing else your presence here has got me agreeing with OceanMDX on something! You have no idea what the odds of that happening are! By the way, what would you say is the right temperature to start using your block heater is ...Oh. never mind ;)


Well glory be.... praise the Lord.... I just found religion.... hallelujah :eek:

montreal mike Aug 9th 2006 4:49 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
The notwithstanding clause is controversial to be sure, but it wasn't Quebec that insisted on it. Alberta (Premier Lougheed) did that. The reason was because the provinces didn't want the Feds to intrude on provincial rights.

If the Feds used disallowance on Quebec, the separatists would have the "winning conditions" that they have been waiting for - you know that.

Actually here we agree. But in my not so humble opinion it is a moot point. The separatists will always bitch and complain. They can never be happy.

montreal mike Aug 9th 2006 4:51 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Why dont the pair of you take this pointless argument to your own little thread where you can poke your pathetic little tongues out at each other??

Actually I am about done anyways.

:)

oceanMDX Aug 9th 2006 4:51 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Why dont the pair of you take this pointless argument to your own little thread where you can poke your pathetic little tongues out at each other??

Why don't you go back to the "Maple Leaf" forum where you can better understand and appreciate the subject matter? :p

Butch Cassidy Aug 9th 2006 4:52 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Actually I am about done anyways.

:)

as in you're done with the forum? (please let there be a god)

iaink Aug 9th 2006 4:52 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Why dont the pair of you take this pointless argument to your own little thread where you can poke your pathetic little tongues out at each other??

Amen. Its certainly killed what was briefly a relatively interesting and informative thread.

montreal mike Aug 9th 2006 4:52 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
as in you're done with the forum? (please let there be a god)

Am I supposed to take the hint?

Butch Cassidy Aug 9th 2006 4:53 am

Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?
 

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Why don't you go back to the "Maple Leaf" forum where you can better understand and appreciate the subject matter? :p

Because unlike certain jerks currently posting I thought perhaps I could offer help and advice on the main forum for a change.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:47 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.