Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:54 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Originally Posted by iaink
Amen. Its certainly killed what was briefly a relatively interesting and informative thread.
Agreed totally Iain.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Amen. Its certainly killed what was briefly a relatively interesting and informative thread.
OK how about back to topic? I will cease and desist if that is what you good folks want. I trust other will cooperate?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:56 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Because unlike certain jerks currently posting I thought perhaps I could offer help and advice on the main forum for a change.

.... well then make the change and do it.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:56 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
OK how about back to topic? I will cease and desist if that is what you good folks want. I trust other will cooperate?
If you mean Ocean? I doubt it he's one of the biggest 'legalised trolls' on here.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

If you mean Ocean? I doubt it he's one of the biggest 'legalised trolls' on here.
I am new here. So I don't know you or Ocean or anyone. But I thought Ocean made some good points.

OK, over and out.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 4:00 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Now you engage in name calling.... jerk...legalised troll - whatever that is. From what I have seen, your biggest contribution to this forum has pretty much been limited to the "Maple Leaf". Not that there is anything wrong with that, whatever matches your intellect.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 9th 2006 at 4:04 am.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 4:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Now you engage in name calling.... jerk...legalised troll - whatever than is. From what I have seen, your biggest contribution to this forum has pretty much been limited to the "Maple Leaf".
I'd check back if I was you.

1) I have probably contributed more help and advice than you
2) If you choose to associate the jerk comment with your good self that is an issue you need to deal
3) I did not ask for or want the maple leaf.
4) Dont even go down the intellect route I have an odd feeling I could probably wipe the floor with you there.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 4:42 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Cupcake anyone? They're fresh.

Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Cupcake anyone? They're fresh.

Old Aug 9th 2006, 11:21 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Quebec's ability to tax is no greater than any other province.
You wouldn't say that if you saw my Quebec tax statement.

Which, in accordance with the province's harsh language laws, is sent to me in English.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Good God, if nothing else your presence here has got me agreeing with OceanMDX on something! You have no idea what the odds of that happening are!
Me too.

<gasps>
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:29 pm
I don't believe it!

grumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud ofgrumpy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sinope
As the other thread I started on this topic rapidly decended into an unseemly slagging match. I was really hoping to get some insights from the people who live in Canada (and thanks for the informative posts on the other thread).
* Open space and big skies
* The most amazing sunsets
* Huge crashing thunderstorms
* Watching the wildlife that ventures into my garden
* Clean sidewalks - no litter, dog dirt, graffiti, broken glass or drunks
* Well-behaved, polite children - most of 'em are around here - it's school hoildays but you wouldn't know it....no gangs loitering on street corners
* Architectural syle of houses -no two alike where I live in a rural area.
* Room to move in the supermarkets without being rammed by someone else's shopping cart.
* Not being rushed through the supermarket checkout
* Having my shopping bagged for me and being made to feel my custom is not only welcome, but valued.
* Sense of community - people who wave and smile as you pass.
* Driving on long, straight, wide roads.
* Turning right on a red light
* It's safe to cycle, even at night
* I can leave all my stuff out on the porch or in the garden without fear of it disappearing
* I can leave my car unlocked with windows open, even on the busiest car park - sorry - parking lot
* The general feeling of safety
* The differences in our cultures and language - fascinating.

DISLIKE
* Bumper huggers who will not pass even on those long, straight, wide roads
* Prices don't include tax - a real bummer cos everything seems so cheap til you add it on.
* Snow and the shovelling that goes with it, and the real bitter cold
* Biting insects
* Humidity that saps you energy
* Canadian bread - it's rubbish
* TV - it's rubbish
* Canadian humour - it lacks the bite and irony we Brits do so well
* Tacky strip malls
* Huntin', shootin' mentality of so many Canadians
* Lack of charcters and personality from those who govern the country - say what you will, at least those at Downing Street always provide amusement, scandal and provoke real emotion - usually anger. The Canadian lot are soooo bland

I'm sure there's some more for both lists, but that's all I can think of for now
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grumpy
* Open space and big skies
* The most amazing sunsets
* Huge crashing thunderstorms
* Watching the wildlife that ventures into my garden
* Clean sidewalks - no litter, dog dirt, graffiti, broken glass or drunks
* Well-behaved, polite children - most of 'em are around here - it's school hoildays but you wouldn't know it....no gangs loitering on street corners
* Architectural syle of houses -no two alike where I live in a rural area.
* Room to move in the supermarkets without being rammed by someone else's shopping cart.
* Not being rushed through the supermarket checkout
* Having my shopping bagged for me and being made to feel my custom is not only welcome, but valued.
* Sense of community - people who wave and smile as you pass.
* Driving on long, straight, wide roads.
* Turning right on a red light
* It's safe to cycle, even at night
* I can leave all my stuff out on the porch or in the garden without fear of it disappearing
* I can leave my car unlocked with windows open, even on the busiest car park - sorry - parking lot
* The general feeling of safety
* The differences in our cultures and language - fascinating.

DISLIKE
* Bumper huggers who will not pass even on those long, straight, wide roads
* Prices don't include tax - a real bummer cos everything seems so cheap til you add it on.
* Snow and the shovelling that goes with it, and the real bitter cold
* Biting insects
* Humidity that saps you energy
* Canadian bread - it's rubbish
* TV - it's rubbish
* Canadian humour - it lacks the bite and irony we Brits do so well
* Tacky strip malls
* Huntin', shootin' mentality of so many Canadians
* Lack of charcters and personality from those who govern the country - say what you will, at least those at Downing Street always provide amusement, scandal and provoke real emotion - usually anger. The Canadian lot are soooo bland

I'm sure there's some more for both lists, but that's all I can think of for now
Where are you Grumpy? It's nothing like that here.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 2:52 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
He could be just around the corner from me. Its pretty much like that here. I lock my car when in the city lots, and canadian politics amuses me, but thats about it.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:05 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I'd agree with most of his "likes". Perhaps not the architecture one. I agree, also with most of his "dislikes", although some are baselessly stereotypical.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.