Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:38 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Originally Posted by montreal mike

Why other provinces don't demand the same I will never know.
Wouldn't that be redundant?

Oh, and you should check your facts - others shouldn't have to do that for you.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
"Disallowance" is a Federal power that is considered obsolete. If it were to be used it would nullify provincial legislation. Currently, Quebec only has to use the "nothwithstanding clause" in the Constitution to uphold legislation that is in violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disallo...nd_reservation
Thanks. Exactly my point. The disallowance clause is AFAIK still on the books. Why isn't it used then?

As far as the notwithstanding clause, well that is a real joke. Don't like having legislation challenged? No problem. Go use the Notwithstanding clause.

Go figure!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:41 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Let's say we agree to disagree and leave it at that. Readers are free to do their own research which BTW they should.
Of course we will disagree if you present arguments as facts that are factually inaccurate

Readers are doing their homework, thats why they come to a site like this, and why its kind of nice to make sure that anything you present as a fact rather than an opinion, is in fact a fact!

Good God, if nothing else your presence here has got me agreeing with OceanMDX on something! You have no idea what the odds of that happening are! By the way, what would you say is the right temperature to start using your block heater is ...Oh. never mind

Last edited by iaink; Aug 9th 2006 at 3:46 am.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't that be redundant?

Oh, and you should check your facts - others shouldn't have to do that for you.

My mama taught me at a tender age never to believe anything one reads on the internet.

Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:42 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Thanks. Exactly my point. The disallowance clause is AFAIK still on the books. Why isn't it used then?

As far as the notwithstanding clause, well that is a real joke. Don't like having legislation challenged? No problem. Go use the Notwithstanding clause.

Go figure!
The notwithstanding clause is controversial to be sure, but it wasn't Quebec that insisted on it. Alberta (Premier Lougheed) did that. The reason was because the provinces didn't want the Feds to intrude on provincial rights.

If the Feds used disallowance on Quebec, the separatists would have the "winning conditions" that they have been waiting for - you know that.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 9th 2006 at 3:45 am.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Of course we will disagree if you present arguments as facts that are factually inaccurate

Readers are doing their homework, thats why they come to a site like this, and why its kind of nice to make sure that anything you present as a fact rather than an opinion, is in fact a fact!
I am giving you my views based on the facts as I know them plus my personal experience. I can not guarantee their veracity. No more than other posters can guarantee theirs. I do not mislead. You will have to make up your own minds.

Maybe it would be simpler henceforth if I were to qualify every single statement I make with the words 'in my not so humble opinion .... ' :
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:47 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

The notwithstanding clause is controversial to be sure, but it wasn't Quebec that insisted on it. Alberta (Premier Lougheed) did that. The reason was because the provinces didn't want the Feds to intrude on provincial rights.

If the Feds used disallowance on Quebec, the separatists would have the "winning conditions" that they have been waiting for - you know that.
Why dont the pair of you take this pointless argument to your own little thread where you can poke your pathetic little tongues out at each other??
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:48 am
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by iaink
Good God, if nothing else your presence here has got me agreeing with OceanMDX on something! You have no idea what the odds of that happening are! By the way, what would you say is the right temperature to start using your block heater is ...Oh. never mind

Well glory be.... praise the Lord.... I just found religion.... hallelujah
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Actually here we agree. But in my not so humble opinion it is a moot point. The separatists will always bitch and complain. They can never be happy.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Why dont the pair of you take this pointless argument to your own little thread where you can poke your pathetic little tongues out at each other??
Actually I am about done anyways.

Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:51 am
mañana is my busiest day

Why don't you go back to the "Maple Leaf" forum where you can better understand and appreciate the subject matter?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:52 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I am about done anyways.

as in you're done with the forum? (please let there be a god)
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Amen. Its certainly killed what was briefly a relatively interesting and informative thread.
BE Forum Addict

as in you're done with the forum? (please let there be a god)
Am I supposed to take the hint?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 3:53 am
Banned

Why don't you go back to the "Maple Leaf" forum where you can better understand and appreciate the subject matter?
Because unlike certain jerks currently posting I thought perhaps I could offer help and advice on the main forum for a change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.