Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:28 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
...like when they lock their cars, what on earth is that about?! The chirp/honk thing was switched off on our UK Jeep, the salesgirl told us it was against some EU noise regulation or other - quite possibly the only sensible regulation the EU has ever come up with
It's funny that you bring that up. I heard an alarm go off the other day and it stopped me in my tracks. It was the first time I'd heard one in years.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I intentionally refrained from posting to this thread inasfar as actually answering the initial question because, as has been already pointed out. it will really change nothing. It is just a collection of opinions and nothing more.

As has been pointed out above (by a very astute and savvy poster) 'It is pointless asking people on this forum what's good and bad about Canada. The answers you will get will be biased and of no use to you. Does the fact that you can buy a huge shoddily built house and a truck to drive to Walmart and buy clothes made by 12 year old Chinese kids make you want to go there? What will change for you when you move only you can say. There are no less social problems in Canada than the UK. It is expensive. You will not all of a sudden become an athlete. Your kids will start to backchat you in a Canadian accent and learn some cool new French swear words. Immigration is tough and you have to ask yourself why it is you want to leave.’

But not to avoid the question, here goes:

- Less crowded than most places
- Housing or rental accomodation is relatively affordable
- A good social system with Medicare and Pensions
- This is not a nation that is dying to go to war unlike the Yanks down south.
- Cold winters
- High standard of living for those who get off their arses
- Lack of significant inheritance taxes

Dislikes

- Asinine Multiculturalism policy
- Provincial rights. De facto ten countries in one
- A weak federal system
- Idiotic language laws in Quebec where English is really a dirty word.
- High Heat and humidity in major eastern cities such as Toronto and Montreal
- In Eastern Canada there are only to two seasons: Winter and July. There is no Spring and Autumn to speak off

Overall the pluses far outweigh the minuses. This is my conclusion after having spent 44 years here.

PS .. I just hope no one makes any life-changing decisions based on what I just posted.

Infact, I am wondering what you are doing on this thread. You have just been really grumpy and only after several posts have you grudgingly answered the OP, so I don't think there is any danger of anyone taking your comments that seriously.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
And that awful seatbelt chime when you start the car up
That's one thing I do like about the Element, there's no seatbelt buzzer. In the Mustang it beeped at me all the way to California.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 2:45 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sinope
Infact, I am wondering what you are doing on this thread. You have just been really grumpy and only after several posts have you grudgingly answered the OP, so I don't think there is any danger of anyone taking your comments that seriously.

In the short space of a week Sinope you have insulted 3 separate people. Perhaps you should think about what you're writing before you click on the submit button. This is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
In the short space of a week Sinope you have insulted 3 separate people. Perhaps you should think about what you're writing before you click on the submit button. This is a forum and everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Life is toooo short to get into another spat with you DH it is just so boring. I have already apologised to you with explanation and I notice that there was nothing forthcoming from you until you saw another opportunity for a dig at me. Has my name pissed you off or something? Or are you like this with all dumb-a**e newbies asking dumb-a**e questions? Whatever, I don't care.

As far as Montreal Mike goes - if he can dish it shouldn't he then be able to take it also?
Old Aug 8th 2006, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond reputemjanovitz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
...like when they lock their cars, what on earth is that about?! The chirp/honk thing was switched off on our UK Jeep, the salesgirl told us it was against some EU noise regulation or other - quite possibly the only sensible regulation the EU has ever come up with
LOL I was actually thinking more when driving.........like if you are turning left across oncoming traffic and waiting for a suitable gap, and the idiot behind you will beep cos you didn't put your life at risk accelerating through some tiny gap in fast moving traffic.......... but yeah you are right, even our own car annoys me with that locking beep, maybe I should look it up in the manual to see what it means.

Mark
Old Aug 8th 2006, 4:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mjanovitz
at risk accelerating through some tiny gap in fast moving traffic.......... but yeah you are right, even our own car annoys me with that locking beep, maybe I should look it up in the manual to see what it means.

Mark
It means the doors are closed and locked. If it double beeps it means they aren't.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
As far as Montreal Mike goes - if he can dish it shouldn't he then be able to take it also?
I fail to see what I am dishing out. I have been polite, very civil, and there has been no name calling. It is not my style. And believe me I am not grumpy.

Whatever gave you that impression?

Your question, where you started this thread, is indeed a valid one. I just hope you don't make any serious decisions based upon the responses. For every 'like' you will probably find a 'dislike'.

Plus, the passage of time will change everything. Canada in 2006 is not the same Canada I came to in 1962. Even in 1969 I literally came across troops in the streets as a result the invokation by Trudeau of the War Measures Act due to the then threat of apprehended insurrection.

When I left the UK in 1962 I had never heard of the IRA. Years later when I returned for short stints, I had to check for so called suspicious parcels on London buses.

As a general comment I would say the UK has changed a lot also, something that I discovered when I went back for six months in 1999/2000.

When you ask what one likes about this country, or doesn't, it almost a meaningless question. It depends very much where in Canada one resides. I can speak with some 'authority' for Quebec but I am vague as far as the rest of Canada is concerned.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

It might be an education for all to read though the canadian health care thread. It makes my point exactly. If one wants an opinion on likes or dislikes well it ain't that simple. It all depends where one lives. It also depends on the province involved. Health care is provincial although the provinces are supposed to go along with the Canadian Health care plan which is federal. In theory it is equal treatment for ALL Canadians. That of course is a fairy tale!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

When I left the UK in 1962 I had never heard of the IRA. Years later when I returned for short stints, I had to check for so called suspicious parcels on London buses.

As a general comment I would say the UK has changed a lot also, something that I discovered when I went back for six months in 1999/2000.

When you ask what one likes about this country, or doesn't, it almost a meaningless question. It depends very much where in Canada one resides. I can speak with some 'authority' for Quebec but I am vague as far as the rest of Canada is concerned.

Agreed. I've been in Canada since 1968 and last visited England in 1999. What I liked or missed were simply nostalgic memories like bobbies on bicycles.

Immediate impression on my visit was a feeling of claustrophobia with the small houses, rooms, cars and crowded streets which made me appreciate the space here in Canada.

I understand curry has replaced fish and chips as the national dish too.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 5:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman

I understand curry has replaced fish and chips as the national dish too.
My wife, a native of Switzerland, moved to the UK in the late seventies and thought the national dish was kebabs.
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Your question, where you started this thread, is indeed a valid one.
If you'd said that in the first place I would have said how lovely you are...

The world has certainly moved on since the 60's and I think that the whole world changed post 9/11 but in my opinion Britain changed the least. As a mongrel nation with a history of invasion and terrorist acts, the July bombings didn't impact the national psyche the way the Twin Towers affected America etc because 9/11 was more shocking. The changes in Britain are more to do with endless dumbing down and political correctness. And as an added bonus I am currently deeply ashamed of my country and my governments failure to do anything about Isreal/Lebanon. (I am also generalising madly here so don't shoot me down for missing stuff out).

I have learnt a lot from this thread (my favourite new knowlege being the price of chicken), it has made me think and given me insights into life in Canada. But of course I would never base a decision to emigrate to a new country on someone on a forum saying how fab it is where they live. I can't imagine that anyone would?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
After reading through your list of dislikes, I have to ask, why do you live in Montreal? Why not move to another, more desirable, part of the country?

BTW, the PM of Canada has a whole lot more power than you want to admit to.
I was in Ottawa for a year and didn't like it at all. Now I hasten to add this is not a criticism of Ottawa because I know some who simply adore the place.

I didn't.

I have been to every major city in this land as I often was away for long stretches at a time on business.

There are many things I dislike about Quebec province but in total they are not serious enough to get me to move.

As for the PM, well his power is limited. He governs from a minority postion. Even if he were elected with a parliamentary majority, he still has to please (appease?) the provinces. Plus, there are so many areas under provincial control, for example healthCare, law, education.

Heck, this county doesn't even have something as basic as a federal securities commission!

I contend that we are really ten countries in one.

Last edited by montreal mike; Aug 9th 2006 at 12:08 am.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=dbd33]

The Prime Minister of Canada is as much Bush's poodle as is Tony Blair. Canadians are dying most days in Afghanistan so Canada can support the war effort in Iraq without directly admitting to it. It is, of course, wrong to suggest that all Americans support the war, just as it's wrong to suggest that all Canadians do, but in both cases they're elected pro-war governments.

[QUOTE]

In this part of the country we have a pacifist tradition and are still very much anti-war. Having said that, what I should emphasize is that Canadian goverments are not 'trigger happy' as the Yanks tend to be.

Harper gives the impression of being Bush's lapdog. This in sharp contrast to previous PM's who have been far more independent. I don't expect Harper to be around for a long time as PM.

But I could be wrong.

Also, Harper wasn't elected on a war issue. As I recall the matter didn't even come up. He was the beneficary of a nasty backlash against the corrupt Liberals. He just happened to be lucky and was also in the right place at the right time.

Last edited by montreal mike; Aug 9th 2006 at 12:49 am.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33

I think the multiculturalism policy is one of the best things about Canada, indeed it gives some definition to the country beyond being a colder version of Oregon. How is it assinine?
I disagree. Multiculturism does nothing. It is costly and unnnecessary; it is actually divisive and counterproductive.

I much prefer the Yanks who take the melting pot approach.

Canada needs tons of immigrants. But the Feds don't have to bend over backwards trying to make them all feel welcome and helping them celebrate their respective heritages and cultures. Newcomers can do all that by themseves without any costly government funding.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.