Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:10 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Please don't hit me, I'm only a helpless female AND I wear glasses!!!!
Well as a fellow female four eyes I will let it go this time.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:11 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Well as a fellow female four eyes I will let it go this time.
Good! I'll buy you an ice-cream next time you're in town!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a public forum. Why should we have to censor ourselves just in case we offend the 'sensitive souls'? If people can't hack negative things being said then for god's sake go and live in lala land and stop looking at BE. There will always be disagreements about where to live/what to do/who to ship with etc.

Of course this is a public forum and people should be able to express themselves without concern of censorship. However I would like to think that since we are adults, we would be able to conduct ourselves accordingly and remember that although we may be on a public forum acting like a "bully" under the pretense of "being straightforward" is not always wise if one wishes to make friendships and not get banned.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by willmore
However I would like to think that since we are adults, we would be able to conduct ourselves accordingly and remember that although we may be on a public forum acting like a "bully" under the pretense of "being straightforward" is not always wise if one wishes to make friendships and not get banned.
Well being the adults that we are we may do well to stop name calling and mud slinging as soon as someone is 'straightforward'. Not everyone is out to 'bully' some people are just being straightforward <no quotation marks>
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Well being the adults that we are we may do well to stop name calling and mud slinging as soon as someone is 'straightforward'. Not everyone is out to 'bully' some people are just being straightforward <no quotation marks>
I have no problem with someone being straightforward, but its a very fine line between that and sounding like a bully. Along with being straight forward goes the responsibility of having respect for others as well.....something that is clearly lacking sometimes.

Perhaps those folks that consider themselves "straightforward" can give it out, but arent quite as good at taking it when it comes back.

Now Im off to bed.

Last edited by willmore; Aug 7th 2006 at 6:43 am.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:47 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:58 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Attached Thumbnails Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?-images.jpg  
Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see that the tread hasn't ended in tears (yet) and thanks so much for all the great advice that has been posted. There are things on here that wouldn't even have crossed my mind to consider, the main one being the price of chicken.

Deerhunter - whilst I stand by what I said about your first two posts being unhelpful and nothing to do with answering my OP, I would like to apologise for upsetting you. It was never my intention and I overreacted because of the last thread I started on the same subject going TU so quickly. So, sorry about that.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

hudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of lighthudd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
They are not permitted in Calgary. I don't know about other cities.

Company cars are very rare. I believe that's the result of the way in which perks like company cars are taxed.
I was offered a company car when I moved to Calgary in 1997. It was a Mecury Sable and one of my friend who was an accountant worked out the tax for having a company car who would have been 25% of my monthly take home pay.

You should be able to find online company car taxes in Canada.
hudd

Last edited by hudd; Aug 7th 2006 at 7:56 am.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 7:39 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by taradem
4. The people who have moved on an inter-company transfer, quite liked their lives in the UK but happy to experience something different?

Anyone else not comfortable in any of deer hunters boxes???
Yup, me too. I'm the same as you apart from the inter-company transfer bit. I may or may not go on somewhere else after Canada (if I get in). Seems a shame to spend all of your life in one country if you have the opportunity to try new places.

That said, I will be spending my time in Canada hunkered down in an old Marmite box in the (unfinished) basement, while a windup radio plays the BBC World Service. The roads, the car insurance, the expensive cheese... it's all too much. (On the plus side, I don't eat chicken .)
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:53 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
That said, I will be spending my time in Canada hunkered down in an old Marmite box in the (unfinished) basement, while a windup radio plays the BBC World Service.
What makes you think you'll find an old Marmite box here? You better bring one with you when you come!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:36 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

But of course! Travel without my Marmite box??!

Old Aug 7th 2006, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
Glad to see that the tread hasn't ended in tears (yet) and thanks so much for all the great advice that has been posted. There are things on here that wouldn't even have crossed my mind to consider, the main one being the price of chicken.

Deerhunter - whilst I stand by what I said about your first two posts being unhelpful and nothing to do with answering my OP, I would like to apologise for upsetting you. It was never my intention and I overreacted because of the last thread I started on the same subject going TU so quickly. So, sorry about that.
Doh, the thread, not the tread.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:09 pm
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by sinope
Doh, the thread, not the tread.
If that's your worst typo you've little to worry about ...... I am still trying to smother my unseemly giggles about the "brave loins" on the war graves thread!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

• Our house - huge by UK standards, a small bungalow by Canadian standards - and still having cash left over at the end of the month.
  • We can live on an island in the Rideau River, but be in the centre of Ottawa in 20 minutes.
  • Riding down the Ottawa River on my Brother-in-Law's pontoon.
  • Sitting watching the sun go down. A different show every night, winter or summer.
  • The friendliness of Canadians - my new family, my new workmates, my new neighbours.
  • No chavs. No pavement pizzas. No dog poo or chewing gum.
  • The wave I get from other motorcyclists.
  • Ottawa market - day or night, winter or summer, breakfast or beer and supper. The Rainbow -http://ottawa-blues-jazz.ncf.ca/bowabout.html.
  • Timmie's.
Dislikes:
  • Driving conditions: Roads that are maintained badly or not at all.
  • Driving conditions: Drivers that morph from friendly to beeping, hand gesturing monsters once they get behind the wheel.
  • Driving conditions: Huge trucks - thundering past at 110kph.
  • Driving conditions: No Red and Amber in traffic light sequence. Turning right on red (a nightmare on the motorcycle). Four-way stops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.