Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Old Aug 5th 2006, 11:04 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

I've only just worked out how the address tells you roughly what part of the road you need .... this is Calgary btw.

say its 4173, 39th Avenue ..... that tells you it's near the intersection between 39th AVENUE and 41st STREET (the fist 2 digits being the Street or Avenue to use as a reference). Quiet clever really! And then you have to factor in whether it'e NE, SW or whatever!

I use my Street map all the time though, as I do house calls.... it's been quite good for me!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 11:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I've only just worked out how the address tells you roughly what part of the road you need ....

say its 4173, 39th Avenue ..... that tells you it's near the intersection between 39th AVENUE and 41st STREET (the fist 2 digits being the Street or Avenue to use as a reference). Quiet clever really!

I use my Street map all the time though, as I do house calls.... it's been quite good for me!
Just to add a little more to that. If the address is like the one in your example 4173-39th Ave then it will be on 39th Avenue between 40th and 41st streets.

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 5th 2006, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
You should always, always carry a current booklet type map of the city in the glove box, and consult it before you back out of the garage if you are going some place unfamiliar.
Oh I do! I haven't been horribly lost for years now. I just about know the whole city; which is scary, because every time I get to that point that we usually move somewhere new!
Old Aug 6th 2006, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

SivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond reputeSivoxII has a reputation beyond repute

how long have you got? ... as it could be the longest story ever told!! *chuckles*
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Screaming troll and personally insulting everyone who doesn't tell you that Canada is perfect is a bit pathetic. I am not a 'bitter and vindictive' person. I am simply saying that you are looking in the wrong place to justify uprooting your family. Surely the best people to ask about the pros and cons of moving are your husband and daughter.
I have no problem with this post.

Deer Hunter has a direct no nonsense style. It might seem somewhat rude but it is at least honest. I do not see why anyone should take offence.

I have read through the responses to the initial question. I find I can agree with much of what has been said.

I found it a little amusing that story of the parking ticket. Yes montrealers go though this bloody ritual every July 1. Nowhere else in the world have I ever seen this. It is maddening.

BTW I have been in Canada 44 years and 42 of those years have been right here in Montreal which, in my not so humble opinion, is the most civilized city in North America.

I do not miss the UK at all. I was back there in 2000 for six months. Most of my relatives are 6 ft under so I have less and less reason to go back.

For those leaving the UK to come here and stay please do yourselves a huge favour and forget about the old ways. Don't refer the UK as 'back home'. Don't attempt to recreate Britain.

This is my first post. I warn you that I am very blunt at times. So be forewarned.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

This is my first post. I warn you that I am very blunt at times. So be forewarned.[/QUOTE]

Gee you've got me a trembling in my boots! :scared:
Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
This is my first post. I warn you that I am very blunt at times. So be forewarned.
Gee you've got me a trembling in my boots! :scared:[/QUOTE]

Good Lord I had no idea I had that kind of influence!

Old Aug 7th 2006, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Gee you've got me a trembling in my boots! :scared:
Good Lord I had no idea I had that kind of influence!

[/QUOTE]

You certainly have a unusual way of trying to win friends and influence people!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:47 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Come on now "Stormin' Norman" .... at least take the time to get to know us before stomping all over us!

People can be abnormally sensitive here .... emigration is an emotive issue. I think the quote I have enjoyed the most here, and for which I make no apology in repeating: "Tread softly, for you tread upon my dreams".

You can be direct .... you can even be blunt on occasions, ..... but have some respect for other people's opinions, feelings and experiences, which may differ from your own, and yet still not be right or wrong, and you'll get along just fine.

Welcome to the board.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 1:58 am

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to the board, if you fancy "the talking bluntly area" I suggest the Take it Outside forum as a perfect place to do so!

these country forums are the main area for wannabe expats to gain knowledge and help and expats to share their personal experiences and views .... we all get heated at times but these arent the ones to come rushing in like a bull in a china shop - whereas the TIO forum is perfect for that as I well know!

not being sarcastic so dont take it as such - just passing on the advice people gave me too ... which helped!!
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

You can be direct .... you can even be blunt on occasions, ..... but have some respect for other people's opinions, feelings and experiences, which may differ from your own, and yet still not be right or wrong, and you'll get along just fine.

Welcome to the board.
Tell me, what have I written that is so outrageous? I am blunt by nature and so I figure it best you all know ahead of time. That doesn't by definition mean that I am intentionally rude or insensitive. It is just that I call it as I see it. That has always been the case. And that is why I have no problem with what Deer Hunter wrote.

I do agree with you on one point: No one is right or wrong. It is a matter of one's point of view.

Last edited by montreal mike; Aug 7th 2006 at 3:06 am.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandmom
welcome to the board, if you fancy "the talking bluntly area" I suggest the Take it Outside forum as a perfect place to do so!
Is this a cultural thing at this forum? Is there some sort of taboo here. Do not confuse being outspoken and direct with being nasty or agressive, insensitive, rude, whatever.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 5:38 am
little snowy owl

Tell me, what have I written that is so outrageous?

err .... nothing, yet, that I have seen, and I never said you did ...... just thought you appear to be coming in ready to do battle with all and sundry!

As for being direct .... there's nothing wrong with that at the right time/place, that's all, and so long as you have some regard for other's feelings.

Sometimes things that aren't even meant as blunt, in the written form can sound a lot harsher. As demonstrated by the fact that you saw MY post as a criticism of you already. It was not meant as such, just a friendly reminder to be nice to some of our sensitive souls.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 5:56 am
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

As for being direct .... there's nothing wrong with that at the right time/place, that's all, and so long as you have some regard for other's feelings.

It was not meant as such, just a friendly reminder to be nice to some of our sensitive souls.
Correct me if I'm wrong but this is a public forum. Why should we have to censor ourselves just in case we offend the 'sensitive souls'? If people can't hack negative things being said then for god's sake go and live in lala land and stop looking at BE. There will always be disagreements about where to live/what to do/who to ship with etc.
Old Aug 7th 2006, 6:08 am
little snowy owl

Yes it is a public forum. I have not taken issue with anything you have said. I am not arguing with you or anyone, and "sensitive souls" is a turn of phrase. Please don't hit me, I'm only a helpless female AND I wear glasses!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.