Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:56 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Originally Posted by sinope
The price of chicken keeps coming up in these threads - does nobody keep their own (I do at the mo and plan to wherever I end up)?
They are not permitted in Calgary. I don't know about other cities.

Also do company cars exist like they do in Britain?
Company cars are very rare. I believe that's the result of the way in which perks like company cars are taxed.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 2:08 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

I actually think you might be a troll and just want something to kick off - I can see no other reason for your post. However I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

I am not making a life-changing decision based on 'the opinion of strangers on the internet', it is just part of my research about living in Canada. I also fail to see why the posts on this thread should be discounted just because they are personal opinions. You are invalidating the whole forum by that argument.

Deerhunter didn't even try to answer my op, was not helpful and came across as vindictive, patronising and insulting to the other members of the forum. Helpful would have been positives and negatives about life in Canada as I asked and which the majority of posters have answered brilliantly.
Screaming troll and personally insulting everyone who doesn't tell you that Canada is perfect is a bit pathetic. I am not a 'bitter and vindictive' person. I am simply saying that you are looking in the wrong place to justify uprooting your family. Surely the best people to ask about the pros and cons of moving are your husband and daughter.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 2:22 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
I lived in Red Deer for 8 years. Within a given city, one road has one name - it may not be continuous though, because of a river for example. Edmonton is like that too - watch out for the river because it confuses the issue.

You better be careful if you ever drive in Kitchener/Waterloo - it's far more difficult. All the streets/avenues are named (no numbers). Take two major roads for an example - King st. and Weber st. They run parallel for most of their length, yet they intersect in three places!!!!
OKAY - so it's roads stopping and starting I don't like, there are a couple here in red deer. If a road stops at the end, how can it begin again at another point and still be the same road, just because it's in the same subdivision? I can understand it in a brand new subdivision where they haven't finished the roads but elswhere? EDMONTON is a complete nightmare! The same roads stop and start again all over the place, we have learnt to ask what avenue the street is on when we go looking
Old Aug 5th 2006, 2:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

As the other thread I started on this topic rapidly decended into an unseemly slagging match. I was really hoping to get some insights from the people who live in Canada (and thanks for the informative posts on the other thread).
I have been in Canada almost 40 years and the main thing that I like is the positive attitude which neutralizes the negatives.

Of course if you focus on the negatives then you're going to find it hard to fit in.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 2:29 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sydney
You can buy marmite and branston pickle? Where? I haven't found it yet. Mind you perhaps I should look with the marinades. The Canadians I know have never heard of marmite.
Sobey's, Safeway, Save on and CO OP all sell Marmite and/or Branston, as I said before - you just have to find it - Marinades or Baking supplies. For some strange reason when I compared a UK jar of Marmite to a Canadian jar, the ingredients were different but it still tastes good! Oh and no I wasn't reading the French! Oh has anyone found Lime pickles? Or can recommend a donner kebab - not a donair, something that tastes similar to the ones I had in England/Rhodes would be good, I suppose lamb not beef would have to be the meat of choice to achieve this though.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 2:33 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
OKAY - so it's roads stopping and starting I don't like, there are a couple here in red deer. If a road stops at the end, how can it begin again at another point and still be the same road, just because it's in the same subdivision? I can understand it in a brand new subdivision where they haven't finished the roads but elswhere? EDMONTON is a complete nightmare! The same roads stop and start again all over the place, we have learnt to ask what avenue the street is on when we go looking
... and I lived in Edmonton for 7 years.... the trick to getting around Edmonton is knowing where the bridges are that cross the North Saskatchewan River, and knowing the major thoroughfares..... and of course, you have to know how the grid system works. Edmonton isn't that hard to understand once you know these fundamentals. K/W is 10 times more difficult.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 5th 2006 at 2:36 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
Screaming troll and personally insulting everyone who doesn't tell you that Canada is perfect is a bit pathetic. I am not a 'bitter and vindictive' person. I am simply saying that you are looking in the wrong place to justify uprooting your family. Surely the best people to ask about the pros and cons of moving are your husband and daughter.

Deerhunter, I am still giggling about your earlier line: "And if these people are so damn happy why do they spend half of thier lives posting on a forum for expats?" Can't really take you seriously after that. I also love the emotive language: 'uprooting family', 'screaming troll', etc. And I don't think that you read my OP properly because I asked for people's experiences and what they like/dislike about Canada. The only thing I got from your posts is that you have a major chip on your shoulder and I happened to be in the line of fire today. I actually feel quite sorry for you.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Deerhunter, I am still giggling about your earlier line: "And if these people are so damn happy why do they spend half of thier lives posting on a forum for expats?" Can't really take you seriously after that. I also love the emotive language: 'uprooting family', 'screaming troll', etc. And I don't think that you read my OP properly because I asked for people's experiences and what they like/dislike about Canada. The only thing I got from your posts is that you have a major chip on your shoulder and I happened to be in the line of fire today. I actually feel quite sorry for you.
Well fine, you can walk away smug with the fact that you are superior to me. My post was not meant to offend though I clearly hit a nerve. Whether you like it or not you are uprooting your family and you did call someone a troll. You are being pretty rude yourself and I don't think you'd be saying any of these things to me if it weren't for the anonimity of the net.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
I lived in Red Deer for 8 years. Within a given city, one road has one name - it may not be continuous though, because of a river for example. Edmonton is like that too - watch out for the river because it confuses the issue.

You better be careful if you ever drive in Kitchener/Waterloo - it's far more difficult. All the streets/avenues are named (no numbers). Take two major roads for an example - King st. and Weber st. They run parallel for most of their length, yet they intersect in three places!!!!

Dont forget Westmount Road which runs east, west and south! Make sure you get the address correct if you're ever going to visit someone living on westmount road!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:31 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by willmore
Dont forget Westmount Road which runs east, west and south! Make sure you get the address correct if you're ever going to visit someone living on westmount road!
Yes.... and don't forget that Fischer-Hallman Rd N. all of a sudden becomes Bearinger Rd.... or that Westmount Rd. suddenly goes around a bend and becomes Northfield Rd.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Aug 5th 2006 at 3:34 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 8:50 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

And if these people are so damn happy why do they spend half of thier lives posting on a forum for expats?
Because they want to be helpful to others?
Because the people here tend to be friendly and interesting with halfway decent senses of humour?
Because we all share a common interest and people naturally reach out for community?

Come on man, you know this place would be useless without the help and advice of people that have done it before, and assuming their lives aren't worth living IRL just because they are kind enough to hang around and pass on some help - just as they were given help when going through the sometimes tortuous immigration process - is, well.. beyond cynical. A bit bitter really
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Sobey's, Safeway, Save on and CO OP all sell Marmite and/or Branston, as I said before - you just have to find it - Marinades or Baking supplies. For some strange reason when I compared a UK jar of Marmite to a Canadian jar, the ingredients were different but it still tastes good! Oh and no I wasn't reading the French! Oh has anyone found Lime pickles? Or can recommend a donner kebab - not a donair, something that tastes similar to the ones I had in England/Rhodes would be good, I suppose lamb not beef would have to be the meat of choice to achieve this though.
Kebabs in the style sold in England are available from the LaZeez chain of fast food joints. I'm not sure how big the chain is but I'll ask when I stop in for a kebab with pickled turnip on Monday.

Halal shops sell chicken cheap, btw, try the nearest Bangladeshi neighbourhood.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Company cars are very rare. I believe that's the result of the way in which perks like company cars are taxed.
Spot on there, Judy! We bought and ran a car through our company. Not cheap! Only advantage was when our kids started to drive it kept the premium down because under the insurance rules they are not allowed to drive commercial vehicles. Whereas the potential for them to drive every other vehicle in the same household is there, so premiums reflect that!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'm with you there - there are a few of those down here! Drives me insane and has made us very late on more than one occasion! Just plain stooopid!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:55 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Calgal
Oh I'm with you there - there are a few of those down here! Drives me insane and has made us very late on more than one occasion! Just plain stooopid!
You should always, always carry a current booklet type map of the city in the glove box, and consult it before you back out of the garage if you are going some place unfamiliar.

Don't leave home without it.

Says the anorak wearing, anal retentive commonly known as Hangman.

Anorak off once again, boy I'm gonna wear this thing out. It's a good job I got a closet full of 'em.

Cheers
Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.