Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Old Aug 4th 2006, 7:25 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not sure how one would use grits, the same way as yoghurt or as mashed bananas?
Yoghurt and mashed bananas have similar uses? Ye gods but I lead a cloistered life.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice
Default Re: Perhaps someone could tell me nicely what they like/dislike about Canada?

I forgot to mention that I like the politeness of Canadians- including teenagers and children.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

sbays is an unknown quantity at this point

The only regret I have about Canada, is we should have moved here 20 years ago!!!!!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:20 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sbays
The only regret I have about Canada, is we should have moved here 20 years ago!!!!!

hear hear!! although I would have been only 10... however, I am apparently the 3rd gen of my family to make plans to move out to the lovely country so I am particularly proud that my hubs and I will be

It is really interesting to read all these thoughts from people, so can I add my thanks too...

Can someone please tell me what on earth the heck grits are....and does turkey fall under the same category as the vastly expensive chicken?? We live on chicken so can some one also give me rough cost for Alberta prices on it?? We both love the beef though... mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ki76
...and does turkey fall under the same category as the vastly expensive chicken?? We live on chicken so can some one also give me rough cost for Alberta prices on it?? We both love the beef though... mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm
Here is a link to Calgary Co-op's online shopping site.

http://www.picndel.com/

If use the postal code T3A 1S2 in the check my service area box, it will let you "browse as a guest" the link will show up in the lower right corner of the new screen.

Then click on Meats from the choices near the top of the page and then Chicken and Turkey from the menu on the left side of the page. And of course you can browse all the other items on the site at you leasure.

Cheers
Steve
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:35 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

"Sorry, We are currently not serving your area"
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
"Sorry, We are currently not serving your area"
Hmmm strange. Works here, 'cause that's my postal code.

Try this link: http://www.picndel.com/cust.fl?sess=...alcode=T3A+1S2 See if it works.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:42 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
Hmmm strange. Works here, 'cause that's my postal code.

Try this link: http://www.picndel.com/cust.fl?sess=...alcode=T3A+1S2 See if it works.
That works. Wonder what happened. Wasnt finger trouble as I cut and pasted.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
That works. Wonder what happened. Wasnt finger trouble as I cut and pasted.
So now you can see how do prices compare?
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:51 pm
Bright light!!

Tiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond reputeTiffin Tease has a reputation beyond repute

that's brill - thanks Steve.... off to try and find out about it now
Ki
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:55 pm
Bright light!!

hmmmm, ok it's no sainsbury's special but it's not so bad - I was expecting serious moolah but this is more bank loan than bankrupt lol
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:58 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I love.

The mountains .... but wish we had more time as a family to go there.

I love the weather. I find the people friendly and polite with a can-do attitude. I don't really mind not having weeks and weeks of leave .... I never seemed to be able to use all my allowance up when I was in the UK.
I like that there seems to be a "long weekend" nearly every month, but unfortunately some of us are nearly always having to work the holiday, so we find it hard to get together.

I am not sure about my work here as a physio. We don't seem to have the autonomy we had in the UK, and after 6 months I still haven't been able to sort out what I should be getting paid as stuff never seems to arrive where it's supposed to. I don't feel well supported at work and I think my manager is a dip-stick.

My OH is doing well in his job .... maybe he'll be earning so much soon that I can pack mine in! I'd love to have the time to do voluntary stuff and not have to worry about money.

For our kids it has been SUCH a good move. They love it here and are much more motivated in both their school and home life. They are doing very well.

I am surprised by how expensive it is to live here, and the cost of living seems to be rising rapidly. I find our builder to be a pain in the behind! There is a laid back attitude to things here that can be very frustrating!!!! But you can't change it, so I guess in time you get more laid-back yourself or end up on valium!

For our kids it has been SUCH a good move. They love it here and are much more motivated in both their school and home life. They are doing very well.

I miss my family ... my parents are visiting next month, and I can't wait to see them, but it'll be hard saying goodbye again. I feel sick at the thought.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

taradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nicetaradem is just really nice

We left a company car and paid fuel behind in the UK as they are not available at my husbands grade. For us we just accepted it as part of the company culture here. As for insurance, we are treated the same as a new Canadian driver so NO account is taken of any UK driving experience or no claims. In saying that you still have to provide proof that you have it and for as far back as 6 years if you can get it!

My husband works in Mississauga and we are renting here at the moment but we have just bought a house in Oakville. I can understand the comparison with MK and would add one with Uxbridge in West London if you are familiar with it? In saying that lots of my husbands colleagues live in Mississauga and there are some really nice family areas, on balance though we prefered Oakville.
Good Luck!
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:05 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Cheaper out there mostly. We pay about $5 for lean ground beef, compared to <4 there, and thats before taxes. Chicken was less than what we pay too as far as I can tell, and of course, beer/liquor at the supermarket is a novelty for a long time Ontario resident, Sleemans there is $20 for 12, compared to $22.50 here.

Intersting that the milk there is in jugs, not bags too.

Frozen OJ was more expensivve though, $1.36 compared to $1.19, but by the time I pay the sales tax (if there is tax on juice....I dont know what foods are exempt, some are, some arent) it would be a wash.

$5 for a pinapple is a lot, I got a couple for $1.50 each this week, they were smallish, and I guess they are usually nearer the $5 level, so maybe not a fair comparison. Fresh fruit in general looks more expensive there, but a lot of stuff like apples, peaches etc is ontario produced, so not surprisingly cheaper here. 66c for a lemon though compared to 4 for a buck.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 4th 2006 at 9:10 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

sbays is an unknown quantity at this point

hmmmm, I have posted a couple of pictures (search for sbays) taken in BC, then look at some pictures of England.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.