Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

People who have moved to Canada from UK

People who have moved to Canada from UK

Old Dec 26th 2009, 11:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People who have moved to Canada from UK

Originally Posted by triumphguy
I understand why people want to rehash the same old questions - 'cos for them it's all new.

To those too tired to answer in a new thread, leave it to others to chime in.
Those not too tired to answer probably have more recent experience of the UK too and are, perhaps, better able to make a fair and up to date comparison.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 12:40 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Some people think it's better and stay, some can't take the change and return.

Personally, I think it's what you make of it. For myself, my general quality of life has been much better, I've done things I could only dream of in the UK and made great friends wherever I've been. There have been downs as well, I lost a job in the start of the recession and spent 11 months out of work. The new job has meant moving provinces (again) but the new people in my life are once again friendly and welcoming.

I can't see myself ever returning, unless it's in retirement.

These days with the internet your never far away from family, I can phone home at the equivalent of UK local phone rates so if I feel like a chat with someone I just pick up the phone.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:06 am

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JGK
Some people think it's better and stay, some can't take the change and return.

Personally, I think it's what you make of it. For myself, my general quality of life has been much better, I've done things I could only dream of in the UK and made great friends wherever I've been. There have been downs as well, I lost a job in the start of the recession and spent 11 months out of work. The new job has meant moving provinces (again) but the new people in my life are once again friendly and welcoming.

I can't see myself ever returning, unless it's in retirement.

These days with the internet your never far away from family, I can phone home at the equivalent of UK local phone rates so if I feel like a chat with someone I just pick up the phone.
pretty much sums it up for me. It would be interesting to see if there are regional influences on where in the UK one is from and how it affects their perceptions of Canada. Coming from Manchester, the only way was up!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:07 am
BE Enthusiast

walkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to beholdwalkerv05 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kokanee
The first thing to remember is it is a different country things are different!! ie the cheese is crap!

Better
I own a newish house in a good area, a lake community, for the same price as my 2 bedroom flat in south london.
Kids have freedom to grow up as kids.
Great Community feel -
Inexpensive and Accessibility to sports ie skating, skiing, swimming
No class attitude - doesnt matter what car i have or the size of my house.
I am in Calgary so waking up to the view of Rocky mountains every morning.
Reduce Tax Burden means I want to work really hard because I wil get rewarded not the government.
Reduced Crime and fear of crime ( the fear factor I believe is ramped up by the media in the UK)
Great weather in the summer being able to bbq every night.

Worse
Not Sure - Alcohol more expensive.
ditto!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:33 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
pretty much sums it up for me. It would be interesting to see if there are regional influences on where in the UK one is from and how it affects their perceptions of Canada. Coming from Manchester, the only way was up!
And coming from Newcastle, the only way was, of course, down. At least for a season.

We'll be back!!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
And coming from Newcastle, the only way was, of course, down. At least for a season.

We'll be back!!
And coming from Vernon BC and only visiting the UK, I'd have to say the place seems great. Not sure about the cheese - we didn't travel for a cheese experience.

Based on my 3 weeks there it seemed like a place I could happily settle down in and live the rest of my life (even in Coventry where we spent more time than most other places).

But having read this forum for 3 years now, I get the impression that simply visiting a place really doesn't tell the whole story. I'd say you have to live somewhere for a while before you can really tell what its like and it will have to be your own experience - not someone elses.

Most of my friends and family thought we were crazy to move to Calgary from BC. After 11 years its home and I can't imagine being anywhere else.

Well, maybe Coventry.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, don't you live near Armstrong? Land of famous cheese?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Well, don't you live near Armstrong? Land of famous cheese?
Yes. Well, I use to. Then the cheese plant was sold to Dairyland and it went down hill.
Old Dec 27th 2009, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
Yes. Well, I use to. Then the cheese plant was sold to Dairyland and it went down hill.
Really! That's no good!

Have you been to Dutchman Dairy in Sicamous? Great ice cream!
Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:17 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticbhoy
Aye a saw that other thread about moving back to the UK.
Got me wonderin what else i should know about Canada compared to the UK.
Experience it yourself and make up your own mind. Try not to be influenced too much by what people tell you.............including me
Old Dec 27th 2009, 2:27 pm
Displaced Disgrace

Joe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond reputeJoe_Sleepy has a reputation beyond repute

I understand why people want to rehash the same old questions - 'cos for them it's all new.

They want to ask and be answered, not look up someone else's old thread, which has usually degenerated into in-house banter.

To those too tired to answer in a new thread, leave it to others to chime in.

I'm a mod on motorcycle forum. When people want to get into biking for the first time and they come to our site they always ask the same questions. Why, because they have the same questions! Is it for me, can I do it, will I enjoy it?

Some old farts tell 'em to check the search function. I just delete those comments the forum is there to encourage newbies, not pander to some old git who should be out riding not trolling the forum!

Imagine if you want a new car - you go to the dealer. You want to test drive it. They say, "Well Jeremy Clarkson test drove this, go do a google search and if you like it come back and buy it." Would you accept that?

Just thought I'd stir the pot!
A sound point well made..
Old Dec 27th 2009, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

celticbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for all the replies and thanks triumphguy for that post
I guess once im a qualified plumber and have some decent money i will go out and experience it for myself. Then make a decision on whether or not i like it.

Still would love to heat what people have to say about the differences
Old Dec 27th 2009, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Really! That's no good!

Have you been to Dutchman Dairy in Sicamous? Great ice cream!
Yes, its a stop we make every time we go to Vernon.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 7:56 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin

Well, maybe Coventry.
Think that's the first time I've heard someone compliment Coventry and I lived near there for 31 years!

Coventry = a dump, if you liked it there, you'd love some of the nice places in Britain!

IMO they shouldn't have bothered rebuilding it after the war....
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

Of course it's all subjective, but we love it so far and have no intention of returning to the UK. Ever.

Briefly:

Good points about Canada:

1. The people are generally very friendly and helpful, with a real laid-back attitude (at least the ones we met).
2. The countryside is so picturesque, particularly in the autumn and winter.
3. We feel a more positive vibe to the country than we did back home in Wales.
4. Moneywise, wages are slightly higher than we were led to believe, and some bills (hydro/electricity, petrol) are much lower.
5. There is so much to do outdoors, and the country doesn't come to a standstill when it snows.

Bad points:

1. Cellphone contracts are ridiculously expensive and complex. Pay-as-you-go is not the cheap option it is in the UK.
2. Some of the food is disappointing, with too much salt and/or sugar.
3. Magazines are thin and overpriced, and buying imported British ones means paying twice or three times the usual price.

For us, the bad points are so minor as to be hardly worth thinking about, and we could probably list dozens of good points if the original poster wanted. The application process took us three years in total, and was pretty stressful for one reason and another, but Canada has proven to be everything we expected and more. We already consider ourselves proud Canadians, and haven't been homesick for a nanosecond.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.