Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

People living in BC, any advice?

People living in BC, any advice?

Old Feb 5th 2019, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People living in BC, any advice?

Thanks Phaedru that's really good to know. Yes, somewhere with nice scenary would be nice, but PG is surrounded by lots of forest isn't it? I don't mind flat if there's forest.

One of my best friends lives in Nanaimo, and she sent me a link to a home for sale there with the most gorgeous ocean views and its own steps to the beach from the backyard, I found myself considering whether I'd be able to tolerate living in the suburbs!
Old Feb 5th 2019, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Interesting choices of areas. Have you also considered the Okanagan area of BC? It's really nice there. Great climate, very artsy culture, bit of a Mediterranean flair to it due to all the wineries.

Personally I love city-living so I don't really want to leave Metro Vancouver, but if I had to choose somewhere else in BC I'd definitely look to somewhere like Penticton in the Okanagan before I considered the other areas you mentioned.

Fraser Valley isn't bad but depends where in the valley you are looking. I live in Langley which is technically in the valley and is nice, but it's very different here compared to say Chilliwack where you will have a miserable commute if you work in Vancouver.
Thanks, that's really good to know. We have briefly thought about the Okanangan, I can't remember why we didn't short list is now, but I'll do some more research
Old Feb 5th 2019, 4:14 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
Thanks Phaedru that's really good to know. Yes, somewhere with nice scenary would be nice, but PG is surrounded by lots of forest isn't it? I don't mind flat if there's forest.

One of my best friends lives in Nanaimo, and she sent me a link to a home for sale there with the most gorgeous ocean views and its own steps to the beach from the backyard, I found myself considering whether I'd be able to tolerate living in the suburbs!
I keep getting called Phaedru on this forum; it was supposed to be Phaedrus but it was taken so I had to use a 5 instead of an 'S' . But never mind, my own stupid fault for trying to use the name of an ancient Greek dialogue !

Yes lots of forest I suppose although I couldnt see it as it wasnt elevated above me haha. I suppose one gets lazy at sightseeing when used to being surrounded by mountains all the time.
Old Feb 5th 2019, 4:22 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Tundra
Ahh the Tundra, an admirable choice unfortunately let down by only being able to select the short box with a crew cab.

Originally Posted by dbd33
Why, unless you're in the manure business, would you want a vehicle in which the luggage goes outside in the rain and snow?
With a crew cab the luggage goes in the back with the seats folded up, motorized toys and camping equipment in the box - anyway it doesnt rain in the Okanagan, and when it snows the skis and boards go in the back instead.
Old Feb 5th 2019, 4:53 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
With a crew cab the luggage goes in the back with the seats folded up, motorized toys and camping equipment in the box
Ah, I see. I once bought a motorized toy for someone's box, I have to say it was fun for a while.

Last edited by dbd33; Feb 5th 2019 at 6:18 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2019, 6:01 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah, I see. I once bought a motorized toy or someone's box, I have to say it was fun for a while.
Hey, Im still new here!
Old Feb 22nd 2019, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

peasmold is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Comox on Vancouver Island. We moved here from Alberta 6 years ago. The weather is much milder, with rain from November through January and summer temperatures not too extreme. Unlike interior BC, we haven't had any major forest fires. We seldom get snow and it doesn't stay on the ground for long. There are a lot of acreages in the Comox Valley as well as small farms and market gardens. Because it serves a large rural area,Courtenay which is right next to Comox has a quite a few stores you wouldn't expect to see in a town that size, such as Superstore,Canadian Tire, Home Depot,,Walmart and,London Drugs. The kids seem well-behaved and there's no evidence of vandalism or littering. This is a very good area for outdoor activities - all kinds of water sports,hiking, camping,skiing and snowboarding on nearby Mount Washington as well as a several excellent golf courses and a very good indoor aquatic center. There's a new hospital in Courtenay, and Nanaimo is only about a 30 minute drive away. Property prices have gone up quite a bit since we moved here but they're still reasonable when compared to the lower mainland. If you're interested in this area, I would recommend the realtor who sold us our property - Tracey Fogtman at ReMax
Best wishes with your move.