Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

People Happy With Canada

People Happy With Canada

Old Oct 16th 2006, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

ladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the roughladysurrey is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: People Happy With Canada

At last, someone has pointed out what is missing here.

I am sick of reading threads which seem to be suddenly hijacked by the "point scoring" police. I want to read about whats good in Canada, yes tell me the bads bits too, but stop sniping at the other contributors trying to out do each other.

Well said Tia.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
Me too. I've been here for 38 years.

I think the whiners would have a hard time just moving to a different area of the UK because they would face many of the same issues. Such as different accent, lifestyle, absence of family & friends etc.

Let's face it. It's not so much a different environment but more like different personalities. Some people fit in easily and some don't and whine continuously.
Absolutely. There are so many issues it is bound to take time to settle in and as you say easier for some than others. In my view you can spend time with research on forums like this and use the internet to some degree but there is no substitute for actually spending quality time in your chosen province and speaking to local people, reading local papers etc. Also you need to visit at different times of the year as has been mentioned before to make sure Canada in the winter is as appealing as Canada in the summer.
It is not easy comparing "Canada" to "uk" when what you should be doing is comparing Milton Keynes to Edmonton for example.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
BUT DON'T BLAME CANADA.
I don't think anyone blames the geography. It's the society camped on top of it they complain about.

K.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

Originally Posted by stepnek
Why can't people have a moan about Canada if they want to? It doesn't suit everybody and this is the perfect place to let off steam.

I don't think I moan about it all that much but after being here a couple of years on the whole I'd say I'm not a big fan of the place. It's okay but it's not everything. I do appreciate that for some people it is but they need to appreciate that for others it's not.
Perhaps there is a gulf between moaning and blaming. I moan about the drivers who are just utterly crap. But I would not link the drivers to an issue with Canada. They are simply crap drivers. It is not Canada's fault en mass. One could of course argue that the Candians drive too young. But that is an issue that is or should be known before you get here. Like I drove in the US - a little slower and a little more awareness of the drivers around you. Take a little more tollerance with something that is a little different.

But - Pick these people up and put them in the sahara desert and they will still be crap drivers.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've had it with the constant negativity here too, so I'm taking a break.

It just gets too wearing defending canada and the good things about life here. Sure the process is insanely slow now, and the job market protectionist, but why should an employer take a chance on the unknown.

A recent comment from an happy expat in a senior position about sums it up... "Suggesting that any company hire new immigrants is a career limiting step ... I've done it a couple of times and I'm not doing it again!"

However, as Tia and others have pointed out many times, life here can be good, and as a recent poll showed, despite the moaning, the vast majority of those who have actually made the move here, prefer their life now.

So keep that in mind, do your research, remember its a foreign country and that means some things will be done differently, and have the confidence to see it through the hard times as you adjust.

Bon Voyage and Good Luck!
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Here ! Here I agree ......out with the whingers

I have been known to whinge myself though from time to time, but thats just cause it was all so different when we first arrived...
Old Oct 16th 2006, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smelly
Here ! Here I agree ......out with the whingers

I have been known to whinge myself though from time to time, but thats just cause it was all so different when we first arrived...
They put something in the Timbits that make you go all gooey eyed but it takes a while to soften up the brain. That's the reason you're not whingeing now.

K.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 2:39 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

I don't visit here much now because I've got too much of a social life.

Seriously though, you can't believe all you read on here - it will not neccessarily apply to your experience! I've found getting employment reasonably easy, starting a small business is less hassle than expected, people keep inviting me to parties... You've got to get out there, socialize, knock on doors and keep a smile on your face!

All the niggly things that people moan about also affect Canadians too (crappy insurance, bank fees, hopeless job searches etc) so you're not alone.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
I don't really come on this forum any more as I am very settled in my lifestyle in good ole' Canadia!!

I have popped on here over the past week or so and read a few of the posts - why all the downing of Canada? I think this is why I left this forum in the first place. All this doom and gloom nonsense!
It's october. It's getting cold. It's not snowing yet. Come back in May and everyone and everything will be right as rain.

Seriously, why do people get so easily p'd off about being one way or the other. All expats go through mood swings, it's part of the adjustment.

There's nothing much wrong with Canada. There's nothing much wrong with the UK either. Perhaps it would do us all good if we went and lived in Zimbabwe or East Timor for a few months, we'd soon realize how good we all had it, UK or Canada.

Keep smiling LOL
Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:14 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by neill
It's not snowing yet.
Good. I haven't winterised yet.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Good. I haven't winterised yet.
In the middle of october?
Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:30 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willmore
In the middle of october?
The date has little to do with it poppet. It was minus 3 when I got up this morning. If recall, we had our first snow early in November last year.

In all probability, next Saturday will be winterising day. I'm off to the UK Saturday night for about ten days. By the time I get back we could well be into winter. It's maybe a good idea to get all the stuff in, caulk things etc before then.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:35 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hangman
I've considered leaving this forum a couple of times but still continue to try to contribute despite the negativity.

Cheers
Steve
My sentinments exactly
Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:42 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

A recent comment from an happy expat in a senior position about sums it up... "Suggesting that any company hire new immigrants is a career limiting step ... I've done it a couple of times and I'm not doing it again!"
I can vouch for that experience and attitude....despite the Fed/Prov Governments and all HR experts advising industry to look to immigrants/minorities and getting more females back to the workplace they close their eyes/ears and ignore.

Here in kelowna we have a campaign to get retired people back to work ! Still the eyes and ears of industry are closed, despite the piffle in the media (=sounds good, means zip).

Meanwhile, Business Canada Inc is run by hillbillies made good with a degree, employing hillbillies trying to make good, deriving profit from hillbillies and the working poor. It's interesting, and a learning curve for sure.

Rich.
Old Oct 16th 2006, 3:45 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Sunshine GirlI find the tedium of Y(UK) references distastful to say the least...... and yes we are going 'Home' back to 'Beautiful Blighty'. [/QUOTE]

It's all subjective. People refer to the (Y)UK because of the crime, overcrowding, simmering social/racial tensions, the heaving masses of knuckle dragging chavs/subhuman underclass, etc.

A case of the whatevers, innit.

Rich.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.