Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

Old Jan 5th 2014, 3:03 am
Just Joined

robbyls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

Thanks a lot for your guy's comments. Some corrected my incorrect impression of Toronto and some just reflect the advices from my friends - bigger economy scale and better economy structure, some comments are from the people who have lived in both Australia and Canada. Very appreciated. I think I've got enough information to make up my own mind.

Just one more question, since some of you have ever lived in more than 2 countries, presumably with family too, what are the downsides of keeping moving your family from one country to another country? I did think about living in Australia for 4 years and move back to Toronto but I was kind worried because I needed to restart everything from ground twice.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 3:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fnorman
I expected to find a bilingual English/French country when I moved to Canada many years ago, and was disappointed to find this was not a reality. Outside of the big population in Quebec, some parts of New Brunswick and a few pockets elsewhere you will have few opportunities to use French.

Mother tongue statistics don't include learned languages but do give an idea of the languages in use. BC's numbers in 2011 for example included (partial list):

English 3,060,000
Chinese 358,000
(includes Cantonese 133,000; Mandarin 94,000; unspec +Hakka 121,000)
Panjabi(Punjabi) 182,900
German 73,600
Tagalog(Pilipino) 68,800
French 57,280
Other non-official 298,600
English+French 8,600
English+other 68,800

It is mandated you can receive service in French from the Canadian Government and some provinces also do that, as do national call centres for companies with customers in Quebec. Just don't come to Canada thinking the whole country is bilingual.
Did you really go to BC expecting it to be bilingual?

Mon Dieu! Que pensiez-vous?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 3:10 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robbyls
Thanks a lot for your guy's comments. Some corrected my incorrect impression of Toronto and some just reflect the advices from my friends - bigger economy scale and better economy structure, some comments are from the people who have lived in both Australia and Canada. Very appreciated. I think I've got enough information to make up my own mind.

Just one more question, since some of you have ever lived in more than 2 countries, presumably with family too, what are the downsides of keeping moving your family from one country to another country? I did think about living in Australia for 4 years and move back to Toronto but I was kind worried because I needed to restart everything from ground twice.
Do you have to take a language test to go to Australia?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 3:19 am
Just Joined

robbyls is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Do you have to take a language test to go to Australia?
No, I am a PR of Australia already. I can live and work anywhere in the country
Old Jan 5th 2014, 2:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I expected to find a bilingual English/French country when I moved to Canada many years ago, and was disappointed to find this was not a reality. Outside of the big population in Quebec, some parts of New Brunswick and a few pockets elsewhere you will have few opportunities to use French.
I think you understate the degree to which French is spoken in Toronto but my point is not that everyone in Canada speaks French, just that Canada may be a more sensible destination for a francophone than the US.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 5th 2014 at 2:15 pm.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 11:54 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Do not believe the idea that income tax is always lower in the US than in Canada. It entirely depends on your individual circumstances, and whether you live in a high tax location (e.g. California or New York) or a low one (e.g Alberta). Also take into consideration that health care in Canada is funded primarily through taxes, whereas in the US you will have to shell out significant money for health insurance and co-pays.
The principle difference are payroll taxes, payroll taxes in the US are far higher than they are here, but on the other hand Social Security pays out far more than CPP does.

The employee's part of CPP this year is $2,356, can't remember what EI is but say $3,000 total. The maximum limit for CPP is around $52,500. In the US on the other hand it's 7.65% and the ceiling is $117,000, so around $9,000. And if you're self-employed - double it.

And yes healthcare does cost a lot more in the US, not just co-pays and stuff like that, but also prescription prices.

But having said all that, there are lots more high tax jurisdictions in Canada (basically Ontario eastwards) than in the US in percentage terms. BC though has pretty low taxes as does Alberta. Not as low as the neighbouring US jurisdictions though. Montana for example has no sales tax and Washington has no State income tax. But everyone earning income from a job has to pay FICA in the US.

It does depend on your personal circumstances, as is always the case with taxes. One thing that makes comparison difficult though is that the US has a plethora of tax deductions that don't exist in Canada. You can't just take the tax rate and the standard deduction and use that as an indication, which is why tax preparation software is of some benefit in the US.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 2:08 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Rice?
Nah they have stuff like General Tao chicken, soups, spring rolls...that sort of thing.

I'm sure you're familiar with W Sushi on Edinburgh
Old Jan 6th 2014, 2:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Nah they have stuff like General Tao chicken, soups, spring rolls...that sort of thing.

I'm sure you're familiar with W Sushi on Edinburgh
No. But I do pass a sushi place advertising "all you can eat" which is in a plaza on the west side, there's some sort of bottle recycling facility in the plaza, is that it?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:47 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

No. But I do pass a sushi place advertising "all you can eat" which is in a plaza on the west side, there's some sort of bottle recycling facility in the plaza, is that it?
Corner of Edinburgh and Municipal. I know there's a Beer Store and some other stores. Might be some plant but never paid attention.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:55 pm
The ride never ends

Originally Posted by Steve_
But having said all that, there are lots more high tax jurisdictions in Canada (basically Ontario eastwards) than in the US in percentage terms. BC though has pretty low taxes as does Alberta.
Are you including Ontario there? I find, at my salary level, that Ontario is a few tenths of a percentage more in income taxes compared to BC and AB.

Was my understanding Ontario was generally quite low on taxes.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 6:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by orly
Corner of Edinburgh and Municipal. I know there's a Beer Store and some other stores. Might be some plant but never paid attention.
That's the one. I'd ask it it's any good but that'd be like asking a vegetarian to rate The Keg.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:05 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

That's the one. I'd ask it it's any good but that'd be like asking a vegetarian to rate The Keg.
They do chicken and fish now.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oink
They do chicken and fish now.
They're vegetables?
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

They're vegetables?
They'd have to have a salad then. But if they weren't that militant they could always add some black tiger shrimps on top.
Old Jan 6th 2014, 7:13 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Oink
They'd have to have a salad then. But if they weren't that militant they could always add some black tiger shrimps on top.
Would they be cooked or are they a sushi place too now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.