Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

Old Jan 4th 2014, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

Originally Posted by robbyls

1. Melbourne is extremely hot in summer and Toronto is extremely cold in winter.

Toronto is also very hot in the summer.

2. In Melbourne the number of days with temperature over 35 is around 1-2 week, whereas in Toronto, the temperature under -5 is about 2 months.
Not steadily under -5 as there are variations. And a couple of years ago winter was a complete joke and might as well not have happened as the temps were so warm.

3. With temperature of 35+, in the morning or at night, you might still manage to have a walk outside for more than 1 hour.

You can walk outside in winter too, thousands of people do.

4. In Toronto, for almost half year, there is no leaf on trees and the sky mostly is grey. [/quote]

This is simply not true. Leaves grow in the spring and stay until late October or early November (on average). So early November to early March there won't be leaves, that hardly counts as half the year.

for at least 4 months, there is salt on roads, parking pot and driveway, everywhere.
At least four months? Three is more accurate (December, January, and February).

In addition, we have snow and ice conditions on road...

Which you quickly become accustomed to and then they aren't a big deal.

I don't have bias toward OZ but I am frustrated by how Toronto is.

I think you are making it worse in your head than it actually is. Your post indicates this with claims like there being no leaves for half the year which is simply not true. Winter lasts three months in Toronto, that's it.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 5:22 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Just go to Australia. I think you would love it there. Hardly any snow. Also many nice people.
Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
What does French have to do with anything?
Canada is a bilingual country, English and French. America is not. Thus, someone wwho wishes to live in French would be better off in Canada. Someone wishing to live in Spanish would do better to choose America.

I've spent the majority of my life in Canada, can't speak five words of French, and that has never affected me in the least as I do not live in Quebec.
I'm sure there are people who live in Canada while being illiterate in both languages, it doesn't seem like something to which one should aspire but if ignorance pleases you, good for you.

This is patently ridiculous as our material standard of living is the same as in the US. If you take everything into account, we probably have a better standard of living than they do.
Taxes are less there. I would think that enough to provide bigger televisions. You will note that I limited the comment to residents of housing projects. That type of housing, as in Mississauga north of the QEW, is identical to that in much of the US. The difference in quality of life really does come down to the size of one's television. How big is yours?
Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
How big is yours?
Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Its not just size that matters, its the smell.

Smell tv
Old Jan 4th 2014, 9:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink

Smell tv
Ye gods.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:19 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink

Smell tv
You'd be able to find out what the spaghetti tree smelled like with one of then.

Oh - it's not an april fool, but it's the daily mail. Now I don't know what to believe
Old Jan 5th 2014, 12:34 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

It definitely does help being near to the US, I know people moan about how crap the Canadian Amazon is and whatnot but because of our proximity it does help in numerous ways with numerous things. Canada itself has a population of 35 million and the US has a population of 317 million whereas Australia has a population of just 22 million and New Zealand is 5 million.

So there will always be more opportunities in Canada and a larger market to sell to in the US.

Australia's economy is even more dependent on natural resource extraction than Canada, at least we have a bit more agriculture, more diversified natural resources and some other things going on. Of course you can put coal on a ship and send it to China like the Australians do, not what I fancy doing for a living.

And Auckland to Melbourne is 2,400 km, you can get from Calgary to Phoenix in that distance (or Toronto to Florida), more places to visit, etc. The GTA alone has more population than New Zealand. California alone has a population greater than Australia and New Zealand put together.

I meet plenty of Australians and New Zealanders in Calgary, overriding reason they give for being here are better economic opportunities.

Of course if the US goes down the pan so does Canada, whereas in Australia you will still be able to be a road warrior and wear lots of leather gear with spikes coming out of it.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 1:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Once upon a time, that would have been huge. Today we stopped at a bar advertising 9' TV's. The screens were, indeed, massive but Adebayor stank on each of them.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 1:58 am
Born again atheist

Once upon a time, that would have been huge. Today we stopped at a bar advertising 9' TV's. The screens were, indeed, massive but Adebayor stank on each of them.
At least to the extent that you care, you, like I, can now concentrate on the premier league.

The 42 was metric feet.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 2:00 am
Just Joined

fnorman is an unknown quantity at this point

Do not believe the idea that income tax is always lower in the US than in Canada. It entirely depends on your individual circumstances, and whether you live in a high tax location (e.g. California or New York) or a low one (e.g Alberta). Also take into consideration that health care in Canada is funded primarily through taxes, whereas in the US you will have to shell out significant money for health insurance and co-pays.
Old Jan 5th 2014, 2:12 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by fnorman
Do not believe the idea that income tax is always lower in the US than in Canada. It entirely depends on your individual circumstances, and whether you live in a high tax location (e.g. California or New York) or a low one (e.g Alberta). Also take into consideration that health care in Canada is funded primarily through taxes, whereas in the US you will have to shell out significant money for health insurance and co-pays.
What an insightful first post!

Have worked on it since July last year?
Old Jan 5th 2014, 2:17 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by fnorman
I did cover the matter of healthcare in my original post. A friend, paid exactly the same as me and living in NoVa (suburban DC) pays about 2% less in taxes than I do (in Ontario). Since he chooses to have no health insurance, he's better off than I am. Curiously, he has no television, but he does take every meal by driving the Mercedes through a vending facility, Chick Fil-A being the favorite. It's like life in Mississauga but with more "y'all's".
Old Jan 5th 2014, 2:57 am
Just Joined

I expected to find a bilingual English/French country when I moved to Canada many years ago, and was disappointed to find this was not a reality. Outside of the big population in Quebec, some parts of New Brunswick and a few pockets elsewhere you will have few opportunities to use French.

Mother tongue statistics don't include learned languages but do give an idea of the languages in use. BC's numbers in 2011 for example included (partial list):

English 3,060,000
Chinese 358,000
(includes Cantonese 133,000; Mandarin 94,000; unspec +Hakka 121,000)
Panjabi(Punjabi) 182,900
German 73,600
Tagalog(Pilipino) 68,800
French 57,280
Other non-official 298,600
English+French 8,600
English+other 68,800

It is mandated you can receive service in French from the Canadian Government and some provinces also do that, as do national call centres for companies with customers in Quebec. Just don't come to Canada thinking the whole country is bilingual.

[QUOTE=dbd33;11063111]Canada is a bilingual country, English and French. America is not. Thus, someone wwho wishes to live in French would be better off in Canada. Someone wishing to live in Spanish would do better to choose America.
/QUOTE]
Old Jan 5th 2014, 3:02 am
Just Joined

If he lives off Chick Fil-A for too many years he might regret not having health insurance. Under Obamacare isn't he going to have to buy health insurance or pay some kind of penalty or extra tax?

then he's
I did cover the matter of healthcare in my original post. A friend, paid exactly the same as me and living in NoVa (suburban DC) pays about 2% less in taxes than I do (in Ontario). Since he chooses to have no health insurance, he's better off than I am. Curiously, he has no television, but he does take every meal by driving the Mercedes through a vending facility, Chick Fil-A being the favorite. It's like life in Mississauga but with more "y'all's".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.