Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'd quite like a bigger telly. Can't justify it right now though, especially with 4k right round the corner.
I usually buy a new telly when the World Cup comes around. We could do with a new one this summer, but I think I'll wait until Russia.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:58 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I usually buy a new telly when the World Cup comes around. We could do with a new one this summer, but I think I'll wait until Russia.
The world cup is actually a pretty good reason what with it being in a good time zone for us this year.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 9:48 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

It had never occurred to me that people might move to Canada because they want to move to the US. A few years ago my husband was told he had to relocate to Texas, and I firmly refused to go. The idea of my son singing God Bless America on a daily basis, is not one I would countenance.

The winter is dreadful. Somehow far worse than anything I had imagined. But the spring will come. The ice storms were not a normal occurrence.

Robbyls....sod your mates...what do you want from your life...in a non weather related context? I'm getting to like NB but will not stay here for the long haul...I can't stand the weather! It's ticking lots of other boxes though...at present. Life is a balancing act surely, and at different times you concentrate on different needs
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

jossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond reputejossie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
Certainly one of the plus points given that Summer is a sweat box.
Only in some parts - Summers are long and dry here in the interior. Even when it gets to 40 degrees here it is really dry and is a desert like heat. Low humidity and hardly any mosquitos as well. + 3 degrees today dipping to -3 at the weekend.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 11:08 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

having lived in Toronto for 6 years, yep the winters can be cold but certainly not unliveable, and this is coming form someone who hates slippy sidewalks.

Yes the summers are hot and humid but as long as you have AC at home you're fine.

I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, certainly not the states, but that's because I like my life here. If I wasn't happy then yep I could see the winter's being hard
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:40 am
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The world cup is actually a pretty good reason what with it being in a good time zone for us this year.
I thought that until it became apparent they are playing the games at fairly early kick-off times to suit European TV. Oh the irony.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

Jimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond reputeJimbo2012 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robbyls
I immigrated to Canada 4 years and I have to admit it was because Canada is close to the US so I decided to move here. But speaking of Canada itself, the winter is so harsh and lengthy - I am in Toronto, it is actually not a liveable place to me.

I wonder for other people who immigrate here. The reason to pick Canada is because Canada is really good its alone or because its neighbour is the biggest economy.
There are plenty of interesting places to visit in the US, and it is always worth a trip for certain items of shopping which are much cheaper there. But live there? Nope.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 1:37 am
Just Joined

robbyls is an unknown quantity at this point

I like the summer in Toronto. It is not hot at all to me and honestly I wish it could be a bit longer. It is only the winter I complain about. Indoor it is very warm but my nose gets dried out and I just want to breath fresh air all the time instead of the one through furnace. I put a humidifier at every room but still it is not enough.

I am thinking of moving to Australia in favour of its climate. But since I have got pretty good establishment here in Canada and also most my friends advise me that Canada is part of North America which is sort of centre of the world so it is better. I am confused and not sure if I should make the move. That is why I turned down the offer...
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 2:58 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

But since I have got pretty good establishment here in Canada and also most my friends advise me that Canada is part of North America which is sort of centre of the world so it is better. I am confused and not sure if I should make the move. That is why I turned down the offer...
Thank heavens for your friends on a daily basis, they seem like they will steer you clear
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 11:36 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
ok but is the quality of life any better than Canada though? I know the taxes are less but never bothered to explore any more since I realised how much debt they have and an economy that plays in the hands of the Chinese.
I believe that the quality of suburban life is better in the US. If we compare, say, Mississauga or Calgary with, say, Plano TX or Aurora CO, we see that in both countries people live in boxes made of griege plastic, they drive Korean cars or American pick-up trucks, they eat shit served in plastic boxes. The beer is dreadful swill but Bud or Coors Lite is cheaper in America. In neither country do the hands of the Chinese count for much outside of the rub and tug business.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
. The idea of my son singing God Bless America on a daily basis, is not one I would countenance.
That certainly doesn't happen on a daily basis. Never did sing that song in the 24 years I was living in the US, including my entire childhood. Did have the flag pledge, but it was optional at all the schools I went to.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 3rd 2014 at 3:29 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:37 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

the reason why I started this post is I recently returned down an offer from Melbourne Australia. For the same position for similar company (IT for Capital Market), I would make over 50% more over there and I am a PR of Australia too. I turned it down because most of my Canadian friends think Canada has much better future. The key argument is we are close to the U.S. with merely driving distance whereas Australia is a just big island.

During this Christmas and new holiday, we were put into no power and no water thanks to the ice storm and today the windchill is -26!. We all are grounded at home too because we have a baby.

I realize from the practical point of view, the quality of life is significantly lowered by the lengthy winter and is not necessarily better than that of Australia. Am I a fool? I choose to stay in Canada because of feeling well/future-safe being close to the U.S.? If I went to Melbourne, I would probably have similar purchasing power because of the higher income and at the same time, almost all year around, I would be able to go out for a walk.

I might not be myself today as I am little bit depressed.
I think that power outage would have depressed any one.

Winter doesn't dramatically alter my life style or quality of life but if it did then I would probably go back to the UK or in your case head to Australia where you can have summer all year round. Probably a bad move taking advice from Canadian friends who might have some bias.

Australia has strong economic ties with Asia, a faster growing region than the US. Granted not a whack of culture there but come on you are already in North America.

Lastly living in Canada simply to be closer to the US is a bit naff. I understand the stepping stone to US thing but life is kind of short. What happens if you end up in Detroit or Cleveland?
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 3:42 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I believe that the quality of suburban life is better in the US. If we compare, say, Mississauga or Calgary with, say, Plano TX or Aurora CO, we see that in both countries people live in boxes made of griege plastic, they drive Korean cars or American pick-up trucks, they eat shit served in plastic boxes. The beer is dreadful swill but Bud or Coors Lite is cheaper in America. In neither country do the hands of the Chinese count for much outside of the rub and tug business.
I must be odd then. Building I live in is concrete/brick. Our car was built in Cambridge, ON and I'm just off out to the Sushi place for lunch. I'll be sticking to the non-sushi items however

Unlike our American friends I don't pay a fortune for healthcare and I have significantly less chance of being gunned down for having the audacity to knock on a neighbours door or for daring to walk down the street.
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

I like the summer in Toronto. It is not hot at all to me and honestly I wish it could be a bit longer. It is only the winter I complain about. Indoor it is very warm but my nose gets dried out and I just want to breath fresh air all the time instead of the one through furnace. I put a humidifier at every room but still it is not enough.

I am thinking of moving to Australia in favour of its climate. But since I have got pretty good establishment here in Canada and also most my friends advise me that Canada is part of North America which is sort of centre of the world so it is better. I am confused and not sure if I should make the move. That is why I turned down the offer...
Having just moved from Australia (Melbourne)6mths ago I would say that it's two extremes and in fact you can't go out for a walk comfortably every day in Australia either (although granted Melbourne is less extreme than some parts).
Extreme heat can be just as hideous and difficult as extreme cold - when it gets to anything over 35 it is miserable and you just end up with the air-con on all the time trying to find a cool place indoors to shelter and avoid getting fried. (especially if you have young kids - you want to avoid getting skin cancer so you are constantly trying to slather them in sun-cream and cover up)
And don't forget the very real prospect of having to evacuate for fear of bush-fires wiping you out (even in the suburbs I have been within spitting distance of them on a regular basis, and it's bloody scary! )
So the grass is not necessarily greener - in this case it is often brown, scorched and you are unable to water it due to water-shortages...
I'm not saying it doesn't have its good points - but don't look at it like a Utopia..
Old Jan 3rd 2014, 4:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Having just moved from Australia (Melbourne)6mths ago I would say that it's two extremes and in fact you can't go out for a walk comfortably every day in Australia either (although granted Melbourne is less extreme than some parts).
Extreme heat can be just as hideous and difficult as extreme cold - when it gets to anything over 35 it is miserable and you just end up with the air-con on all the time trying to find a cool place indoors to shelter and avoid getting fried. (especially if you have young kids - you want to avoid getting skin cancer so you are constantly trying to slather them in sun-cream and cover up)
And don't forget the very real prospect of having to evacuate for fear of bush-fires wiping you out (even in the suburbs I have been within spitting distance of them on a regular basis, and it's bloody scary! )
So the grass is not necessarily greener - in this case it is often brown, scorched and you are unable to water it due to water-shortages...
I'm not saying it doesn't have its good points - but don't look at it like a Utopia..
Its actually the opposite. Anywhere there away from the beach is quite dreadful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.