Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:49 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: People come to Canada for Canada or the U.S

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
My sister has lived in Australia for about 10 years (Sydney, Brisbane and Perth). She said Australians are the most racist people she's ever met.
My sister lived in England for about 10 years (London, Manchester Sheffield) and and said the British were the most racist people she's ever met.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Its just a euphemism thats all.

Based on school grades and assessments both my kids are very smart, "gifted" you might say, but they are in no way little shits, at school or outside it.
None of the kids I referred to above could ever be described as "smart", nor are they remotely artistic or athletic. In fact, they appeared to be completely unremarkable, except for their ability to act in a completely rude fashion. I agree that it was a euphemism. I just prefer to be honest and call them shits.

I hate to see kids labeled and written off though, so "less gifted" is just a nice way to say that FI was not for them and their strengths will be found elsewhere.
I did not intend to make any comment about your use of "less gifted" and, if you thought my comments were aimed at your "less gifted" comments, I apologise.

The basic fact seems to remain that academically smarter kids seem to do well in FI, perhaps because they are challenged more, perhaps because their parents are more pushy in the first place, or perhaps because the teachers dont have as much dead weight slowing the class down after the initial self selection phase.
I don't doubt this at all, although I have no actual personal experience of the FI system. The only experience I have of those that have actually gone through the FI system are those lawyers that I know that attended FI, all of whom believe that learning French was a complete waste of time as they don't use it in day to day life at all. I am sure that the ability to be able to read food packaging without having to turn it over is not seen as a significant benefit by them,
Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
None of the kids I referred to above could ever be described as "smart", nor are they remotely artistic or athletic. In fact, they appeared to be completely unremarkable, except for their ability to act in a completely rude fashion. I agree that it was a euphemism. I just prefer to be honest and call them shits.

I did not intend to make any comment about your use of "less gifted" and, if you thought my comments were aimed at your "less gifted" comments, I apologise.

I don't doubt this at all, although I have no actual personal experience of the FI system. The only experience I have of those that have actually gone through the FI system are those lawyers that I know that attended FI, all of whom believe that learning French was a complete waste of time as they don't use it in day to day life at all. I am sure that the ability to be able to read food packaging without having to turn it over is not seen as a significant benefit by them,
So why, I wonder, did you go to the trouble of posting about this subject in the first place?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

I'm from Toronto currently living in North Queensland ... I agree that winter in Toronto can be depressing, it used to get to me too...alot!

We've had close to 60 days of over 30+C weather! While it's nice to be warm, the constant heat also wears on you and you can't spend time outside during the day, it's too damn hot. I'm actually tired of it and am over it. I came here expecting to be outside more, but it doesn't and hasn't happened. The recent ice storm and deep freeze in Toronto is unusual....I don't ever remember experiencing that growing up.

Anyway, Australia is a beautiful country, and yes, you earn more here, but it is FAR from the rest of the world. I live about 20 minutes from the beach and we never go there.

I actually miss the change of seasons. I'm heading back to live around July/August and I know I will be cursing next winter but for me, Toronto is home and Australia is just where I live.

BTW, I've been to Melbourne and it wasn't my cup of tea...much prefer Sydney!
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:46 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Surely these didnt come as a surprise to someone thats been in Canada a while?

If they had just changed the law and you had to retrofit the bilingualism to an existing design then sure, its a hassle, but its been that way for as long as I can recall so should have been thought of right from day one of the project rather than seen as an "additional" thing to have to tack on?

I suppose it does mean one label for Canada and one for the US...
I don't think it was always like that. I seem to remember that in the 90s you didn't have to label in French if you were not offering the product for sale in QC or NB.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 11:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I don't think it was always like that. I seem to remember that in the 90s you didn't have to label in French if you were not offering the product for sale in QC or NB.
It seems a bit parochial to me, to assume that English will always do for labels.

I'm looking at a calendar featuring scenes of Northern Ireland, Norn Iron is not known for diversity and there's no legal requirement for any particular language and yet the months are named in English and Polish. Food items purchased in the US are often labelled in English and Spanish, probably Norwegian too, if you buy them in Minnesota.

I, of course, think the signage laws in Quebec are a bollocks and gain nothing from French language labels in Canada but, at the same time, a policy of selling ice cream to English speakers only eliminates even the Eskimo market.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 12:38 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It seems a bit parochial to me, to assume that English will always do for labels.

I'm looking at a calendar featuring scenes of Northern Ireland, Norn Iron is not known for diversity and there's no legal requirement for any particular language and yet the months are named in English and Polish. Food items purchased in the US are often labelled in English and Spanish, probably Norwegian too, if you buy them in Minnesota.

I, of course, think the signage laws in Quebec are a bollocks and gain nothing from French language labels in Canada but, at the same time, a policy of selling ice cream to English speakers only eliminates even the Eskimo market.
My franco missus and stepson usually rely on the English instructions on things. You can say more in the same space in English, so instructions make more sense.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 1:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't the French on labels in Canada required though by law?

The US has no requirement, its totally up to the company to decide what language to supply, some have indeed started to use more dual English/Spanish labeling, but most products overall are just in English.

But the US on a federal level has no official language.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Isn't the French on labels in Canada required though by law?

The US has no requirement, its totally up to the company to decide what language to supply, some have indeed started to use more dual English/Spanish labeling, but most products overall are just in English.

But the US on a federal level has no official language.
Yes.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
If speaking French is not advantageous in BC, then why are all the French immersion classes over subscribed?
They are also oversubscribed where I am in Maryland and I wouldn't say that French is particularly advantageous here either (Spanish would be a much more useful language in the US). I think parents like the idea of their kids being multilingual but it's also a way to get them into more exclusive schools away from the typical problems associated with the public school system. Also, learning languages at school the traditional way rarely works for most people so immersion is seen as a much better alternative.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 6:06 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

If alienating or excluding any minority demographic is the price to pay for clearer, single language labelling then bring it on! I would at least like the right to choose whether our labels are in one, or many, languages. It's me after all that would bear the consequences.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 6:46 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
They are also oversubscribed where I am in Maryland and I wouldn't say that French is particularly advantageous here either (Spanish would be a much more useful language in the US). I think parents like the idea of their kids being multilingual but it's also a way to get them into more exclusive schools away from the typical problems associated with the public school system. Also, learning languages at school the traditional way rarely works for most people so immersion is seen as a much better alternative.
The immersion programs are in public schools here. There are private schools that offer lessons taught in Punjabi but I wouldn't say they were popular with any other ethnic group except Punjabis. Although I believe there a couple of Mandarin schools although most Chinese parents who want their children to learn the language send them to school on Saturdays.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:32 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
My sister lived in England for about 10 years (London, Manchester Sheffield) and and said the British were the most racist people she's ever met.
The British or the English? The Welsh and Scottish could take grand offense at this generalization.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:01 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
The British or the English? The Welsh and Scottish could take grand offense at this generalization.
I think that was the point.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:46 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orly
I don't think so.

French comes well down the list in terms of speakers. Behind English, Chinese variants, Farsi, Portugese, Italian, Russian, Urdu, Spanish, Tagalog and Tamil.

In other words, French is a pretty minor language in Toronto. It just has more special status than it probably ought to. On a province wide basis French comes in 2nd...but in Toronto it's not even in the top 10
Yes, but "the World" doesn't begin or end in Toronto, despite what any number of GTA dwellers or T.'s ers think. Like it or not Canada has TWO official languages, neither of which is Punjabi or Russian. That's why we have French and English immersion schools and not Tamil or Farsi ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.