Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A pension question

A pension question

Old Jun 22nd 2018, 3:47 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default A pension question

As usual, when things get crappy, we start wondering if we should just throw the towel in, pack up and go home.

We moved our pensions over from the UK. I believe they are now stuck here. Can someone clarify the rules in simple language. Ie, yep your stuffed, you'll get next to nothing, or, it's not as bad as all that.

cheers peeps
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 3:58 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A pension question

Not quite a hijack, but close to it I suppose, but I have the reverse scenario of a couple of UK pensions that need unlocking and am also looking for the best option.

Sorry Piff Poff
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
Not quite a hijack, but close to it I suppose, but I have the reverse scenario of a couple of UK pensions that need unlocking and am also looking for the best option.

Sorry Piff Poff
seem unfair that there are 633 QROPS in Australia, but none in Canada.
https://www.iexpats.com/qrops-list-may-15-2018/
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 12:30 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
As usual, when things get crappy, we start wondering if we should just throw the towel in, pack up and go home.

We moved our pensions over from the UK. I believe they are now stuck here. Can someone clarify the rules in simple language. Ie, yep your stuffed, you'll get next to nothing, or, it's not as bad as all that.

cheers peeps
You can't transfer your QROPS pension back to the UK, you can only withdraw the funds here on a draw down once you reach pension age (or over 55), I believe. You could arrange for the money to be transferred monthly/annually, once you are able to release it. Check with whichever company/bank is overseeing your Locked In RRSP

Originally Posted by Mr Bean

Sorry Piff Poff
Presently, as mentioned, there are no QROPS approved schemes (Locked In- RRSP) in Canada, so you would be unable to transfer them to Canada at this time. Keep an eye open on the HMRC list to see if they ever reopen one... and be wary of those that try to get you to open one in other countries!
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4

seem unfair that there are 633 QROPS in Australia, but none in Canada.
https://www.iexpats.com/qrops-list-may-15-2018/
Yes, it is. Having said that, HMRC did a similar exercise on the Australian list, oh, maybe 4-5 years ago and virtually every ROPS in Australia was removed from the list. Obviously many have since reapplied for listing and agreed with to the HMRC requirements. I believe many 'got around' the main HMRC concern about people taking money from their pensions before age 55 by the simple expedient of on accepting ROPS transfers from people age 55 or older!

Canadian companies have to wake up and realise there is an untapped market there for a small amount of work on their policy admin platforms!
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You can't transfer your QROPS pension back to the UK, you can only withdraw the funds here on a draw down once you reach pension age (or over 55), I believe. You could arrange for the money to be transferred monthly/annually, once you are able to release it. Check with whichever company/bank is overseeing your Locked In RRSP
Bear in mind that any withdrawals will be subject to a 25% withholding tax, so you will need to look into whether it will be preferable to withdraw it all while you are in Canada (so you may receive a tax refund) or whether you should withdraw it while in the UK where Canada will keep the amount (as you may not be paying tax in Canada) and you will then have to claim a credit for any tax owed in the UK.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 1:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Bear in mind that any withdrawals will be subject to a 25% withholding tax, so you will need to look into whether it will be preferable to withdraw it all while you are in Canada (so you may receive a tax refund) or whether you should withdraw it while in the UK where Canada will keep the amount (as you may not be paying tax in Canada) and you will then have to claim a credit for any tax owed in the UK.

Good point.. I had forgotten that.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 5:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

My father transferred his pension from the UK to Australia back in 2007 and didn't pay any tax on withdrawals. That option seems to be closed now, as you have to pay 25% tax on the whole money transferred. Everyone has a tax free threshold before paying tax, so be careful you do not low out on the benefit. In the UK a couple could withdraw £25,000 in 2020 without paying any tax, as the personal allowance will be £12,500. In Canada, you can split your pension income with your spouse. So if one person has a large pension pot and the other has a small pot, it makes sense to draw money from the large pot and split the monies. Need to check the tax thresholds in Canada now......
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

My father transferred his pension from the UK to Australia back in 2007 and didn't pay any tax on withdrawals. That option seems to be closed now, as you have to pay 25% tax on the whole money transferred. Everyone has a tax free threshold before paying tax, so be careful you do not low out on the benefit. In the UK a couple could withdraw £25,000 in 2020 without paying any tax, as the personal allowance will be £12,500. In Canada, you can split your pension income with your spouse. So if one person has a large pension pot and the other has a small pot, it makes sense to draw money from the large pot and split the monies. Need to check the tax thresholds in Canada now......
For Ontario the tax free threshold is $10,354
For federal tax the tax free threshold is $11,809
Income tax calculator for Ontario 2018

Old Jun 22nd 2018, 8:39 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I thought there was a 25% thingy somewhere.

as always, thank you so much everyone.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Apples and oranges. Every withdrawal from a RRSP in Canada is subject to a withholding tax, some of which may be reimbursed when the recipient files their taxes in Canada. This may be of limited benefit to an account holder residing outside of the jurisdiction as they, likely, will not have a tax liability in Canada. The tax paid can be credited against the tax owed in another jurisdiction if they have such an agreement with Canada. The UK does and which option is best will depend upon other factors.

Your example means that the recipient would not pay tax in the UK but still loses the with holding tax in Canada and cannot split that tax with their spouse.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 10:17 pm

I think it would be too costly for us. I think we will still try Ontario as we've been out of the UK for so long now that both places would take fairly equal adjustments.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute

The 25% withholding tax ONLY applies if you are transferring the pension out of the UK into a Country other than the Country you reside in. For instance if you live in Australia, which is included in the QROPs list, and you transfer the UK Company pension to Australia, you DO NOT pay the 25% withholding tax. If you live in Australia and transfer the pension to say Malta, The Cayman Is or somewhere else you would then be subject to the 25%witholding tax. I am currently in the process of transferring my old UK Company pension from Rolls Royce into a UK SIPP (the equivalent of a Canadian RRSP) due to having no QROP's avenues to pursue in Canada. My money will be moved and invested within the next 4 - 5 weeks. It's not my preferred option but I just arrange a quarterly transfer from the SIPP to my Canadian bank to transfer my pension funds. No big deal really.

Last edited by Kentonmag; Jun 27th 2018 at 11:08 am. Reason: change a few words
Old Jun 27th 2018, 2:34 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentonmag
The 25% withholding tax ONLY applies if you are transferring the pension out of the UK into a Country other than the Country you reside in. For instance if you live in Australia, which is included in the QROPs list, and you transfer the UK Company pension to Australia, you DO NOT pay the 25% withholding tax. If you live in Australia and transfer the pension to say Malta, The Cayman Is or somewhere else you would then be subject to the 25%witholding tax. I am currently in the process of transferring my old UK Company pension from Rolls Royce into a UK SIPP (the equivalent of a Canadian RRSP) due to having no QROP's avenues to pursue in Canada. My money will be moved and invested within the next 4 - 5 weeks. It's not my preferred option but I just arrange a quarterly transfer from the SIPP to my Canadian bank to transfer my pension funds. No big deal really.
Not wishing to hijack Piff Poff's thread but you managed to find a SIPP provider that will handle a non Uk resident and you are confident you wont be taxed in Canada for this transfer?

On the witholding 25% piece, I have a friend who moved back to Oz some years back and he has RRSP funds in Canada which he can't move without paying the 25%. Guess his only option is to take a monthly income - and pay tax on it.
Old Jun 27th 2018, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Not wishing to hijack Piff Poff's thread but you managed to find a SIPP provider that will handle a non Uk resident and you are confident you wont be taxed in Canada for this transfer?

On the witholding 25% piece, I have a friend who moved back to Oz some years back and he has RRSP funds in Canada which he can't move without paying the 25%. Guess his only option is to take a monthly income - and pay tax on it.
I can't bring the pension transfer to Canada as we are not on the QROP's list of qualifying Countries anymore. My money will be in the UK and I phoned the CRA to make sure, when I transfer it to a UK based SIPP, that there would be no Canadian tax implications. Once I start drawing from that money, and transferring it to Canada, it will then be classed as income I will then declare it on my Canadian tax forms.
To the other part of your question, I am working with an advisor, who is British and based in Miami. His Company are based in Gibraltar, the Cayman Is but with offices in the UK and my money is going to be transferred into a Vanguard fund.

Last edited by Kentonmag; Jun 27th 2018 at 5:42 pm. Reason: forgot something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.