Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Paying State Pension in Canada and UK?

Paying State Pension in Canada and UK?

Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying State Pension in Canada and UK?

Originally Posted by JonboyE
With no hope of success unfortunately.

I agree that it doesn't seem right. However it is the way it is - the number of expats in Commonwealth countries who are still able to vote in the UK just don't register on MP's radar. There is not much more we can do than like it or lump it.
Don't under estimate people power- remember the Poll Tax riots!!!
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

onlycanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shelley748
It's not going to happen. If we all get a bit heated about this in our ownfar-flung corner of the world, no one is going to care. Also there would be no home support as we would be perceived as 'living it up abroad' and not needing our UK pension anyway.

There have been loads of previous threads/rantings on this.

I've just learnt that I cant claim UK old age pension until age 66 now. Gutted.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Yes....perhaps a few molotov cocktails would do the trick.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by holmes5668
I have been paying CPC in Canada for five years (since I got here). I have not paid national insurance in the UK since 1999 (I paid from 1984 to 1999). I am thinking of playing catch up and paying as many years back NI as I can and then start paying it yearly again from now.

Is it ok to pay pension contributions in Canada and UK at the same time? Will I end up with both pensions when I retire? Is it worthwhile doing this?

I don't really have any intention of returning to the UK. I am 40, my wife is Canadian. We'll probably end up living in South East Asia eventually.

Thanks in advance.
New rules are coming into effect on 06 April, 2009 regarding UK National Insurance contributions.

Of note, at the moment they are letting anyone buy back in retroactively to the the 1996/97 tax year. After, 05 April, 2009, you will only be able to buy back in for the previous six tax years.

After 06 April, 2009, anyone retiring between 06 April, 2008 and 05 April, 2015 will be able to buy back in retroactively to 1975.

Better to buy back in soon for those who are interested. At the moment, the rate of voluntary NI contributions is £8.10 a week. The cost is increasing to £12.05 a week in October, 2009.

http://www.pensionsadvisoryservice.o...Contributions/

On saying that, some aspects of seniors' care and unemployment benefits are already means tested in the UK so you have to decide if you think pensions will be the next and to what degree.

Last edited by johnh009; Jan 26th 2009 at 5:09 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Thornby is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm self-employed, which means I can pay Class 2 national insurance voluntary contributions to top up my UK pension, now I'm living in Canada. Class 2 contributions are cheaper. My last annual payment for tax year2007/08 was 114.40 pounds sterling.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

onlycanada is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=johnh009;7214480]
Better to buy back in soon for those who are interested. At the moment, the rate of voluntary NI contributions is £8.10 a week. The cost is increasing to £12.05 a week in October, 2009.
QUOTE]

Do you know if you can buy in advance?
If we move out this year, I will be three years short of the full 30. Can I pay them up front?
I realise I would loose out if I returned to the UK and worked again before retirement age. (2030 for me!) But it would be good to know I had max state pension (even if not index linked) and I had bought at the lower current £8.10 a week rate.

Wouldn't it be awful if state pension was means tested too. I suppose this is already done to some extent, as the pension credit top-up benefit is a means tested benefit.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Not so sure, but after 3 years, you can buy back in retroactively from overseas to get your full pension.

Last edited by johnh009; Jan 26th 2009 at 5:21 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Fourthed, if that's a word.

Maximim CPP monthly payment at aged 65 for this current year (2008) $884.58 or $10,614.96 per year. I don't know too many people who can live on this nowadays.

Although to me at least it's a bit better than pocket money and I don't get the full amount as I took my CPP when I turned 60.
Do you know how many years you have to contribute to CPP to get the maximum pension payment.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaroleW
A thank you to Jonboy for his reply to my query on behalf of my friend. She cannot recall ever receiving this form but will wait until her February pension arrives to see if it is enclosed.
You can register with Service Canada to view forms like T4A slips online. Start here http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/online/mysca.shtml. It may be the best way to confirm whether or not non-resident tax is being withheld from your friend's pension.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jan 26th 2009 at 7:33 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:32 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kastan
Do you know how many years you have to contribute to CPP to get the maximum pension payment.
I don't think they publish the formula. They do say the amount you receive is calculated using the amount you pay, and the number of years you pay it in.

If we take the number of expected working years 18-65 and disocunt 15% of the lowest earning years that leaves 40 years. CPP is supposed to replace 25% of pensionable earnings (which are just over $40,000 at present). So we can guess (and it is just a guess) that you would need to earn at or more than the maximum pensionable earnings for 40 years to get the maximum pension. I was 41 when I moved to Canada so in my planning I am assuming I will get 60% of the maximum pension if I take it at 65. I could increase this to 78% of the maximum pension if i delay until aged 70. However, this is all just a guess on my part so don't take it as gospel.
Old May 3rd 2009, 12:01 am
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice

Originally Posted by PensionPete
There are better options for you than paying into the State Pension which is not indexed to inflation. I find it funny that it is indexed in the US but not here.
This may seem like a dumb question but is it really worth buying back many years (in my case) of voluntary NI contributions -quite expensive - been away 18 + years.
I will have pretty good canadian pension anyway.

They quoted me costs and deadlines for each year of buy back and it runs into thousands of pounds and the info is quite confusing.
Dont know if I can buy back just some of the years or must I buy all of them?

I could put same money in to canadian RRSPs , right?
any opinions?
I mean how much does the UK pension buy ,cost of living and so on?
Old May 3rd 2009, 12:27 am
Just Joined

Thornby is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't have to buy back all the years, just as many as you want to, can afford or think is worthwhile.
Old May 3rd 2009, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by penny farthing
This may seem like a dumb question but is it really worth buying back many years (in my case) of voluntary NI contributions -quite expensive - been away 18 + years.
I will have pretty good canadian pension anyway.

They quoted me costs and deadlines for each year of buy back and it runs into thousands of pounds and the info is quite confusing.
Dont know if I can buy back just some of the years or must I buy all of them?

I could put same money in to canadian RRSPs , right?
any opinions?
I mean how much does the UK pension buy ,cost of living and so on?
Good question which can provoke endless discussion. Interest rates are low and for me, I prefer the bluest of blue chip, dividend paying stocks. I also realise that the stock market is not for everyone.

In short, do your homework and invest in what works for you. Many of these pension funds, especially in the public sector (defined benefits), are nothing more than a giant pyramid scheme and a ticking time bomb. Look at the auto industry for example.

Last edited by johnh009; May 3rd 2009 at 4:19 am.
Old May 3rd 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

penny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nicepenny farthing is just really nice

thank you so much for your reply.

I guess one positive of buying back voluntary NI contributions is that the return is guaranteed but the gambles are
unknown life expectancy -inflationary devaluation- the non reciprocal Canadian increases(index linking) think I am right on that one; UK ex pats in Canada don't receive increases?
I am sure this buy back option is really most critical to those who would otherwise be pensionless due to life events and circumstances, esp women who took time out from employment for various reasons.

Can I buy back some years only for example 2 instead of 5 ? rather than all which is very costly. any one know?
Old May 3rd 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by penny farthing
thank you so much for your reply.

I guess one positive of buying back voluntary NI contributions is that the return is guaranteed but the gambles are
unknown life expectancy -inflationary devaluation- the non reciprocal Canadian increases(index linking) think I am right on that one; UK ex pats in Canada don't receive increases?
I am sure this buy back option is really most critical to those who would otherwise be pensionless due to life events and circumstances, esp women who took time out from employment for various reasons.

Can I buy back some years only for example 2 instead of 5 ? rather than all which is very costly. any one know?
I am not sure how old you are but currently you can buy back in for 6 years if you are going to retire before and including year 2015.

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/...re/ni/home.asp

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.