Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Paying for A Permanent Residency Card

Wikiposts

Paying for A Permanent Residency Card

Old Apr 26th 2013, 1:51 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Paying for A Permanent Residency Card

I applied for a PR Card in March 2012, but it didn't arrive. As I haven't gone anywhere it didn't bother me. However, I thought I might have another crack at getting one, I have now filled in the appropriate forms (IMM5444, and IMM5455, but I know that I have to pay $50.00. But I can't seem to pay the fees? It will allow me to pay for all sorts, but not $50 fee. Has anyone else had a problem with this?
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:49 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying for A Permanent Residency Card

Your first PR card is free. It seems that you never got that one. It should have been automatically sent to the address you gave when you landed.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:55 am
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Jim, thank you so much for your kind reply. No, I never got it, and I rang a couple of times to query it, and eventually gave up. However, I HAVE, just managed to pay the $50, on-line....it's not the easiest of processes, the only problem that I had with the first bit of the immigration adventure I had was with the payment of fees too. I found the payment site to be a bit of a diva. But I have done it!!!
Old Apr 26th 2013, 3:26 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

My point was that you should not have to pay for your first PR card. The application for that card would have been made by the Border Service agent when you landed.
Old Apr 26th 2013, 5:16 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

Jim has a valid point. If you didn't ever receive your first card you should not have to pay to receive... your first card!

Now that you have paid I guess it's a done deal, unless you try to claim it back retrospectively... good luck with that
Old Apr 26th 2013, 2:25 pm
BE user by choice

So many thanks, and I can't agree more. The problem is that you just get so fed up, and you just get to the point where you think 'what the Hell'! It isn't correct, but it's the path of least resistance
Old Apr 28th 2013, 1:50 am
Just Joined

canadapr98 is an unknown quantity at this point

MillieF,

I am in the same situation that I did not receive my son's PR card. It seems somehow it got lost in the mail. We landed in Oct 2012. I am thinking of applying for my son's PR card now.

Couple of questions: whether I need to mail the application forms, or can I go in-person to CIC office in Calgary to apply for the card?

Also, do we need to apply under "lost/replace" card? or under a new card section?

Please advise. Thanks a lot in advance.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 4:07 am
BE user by choice

Canadapr98, I tried to go to the office here in Fredericton, but they said that it all had to be done through the CIC website, so I downloaded the forms which I completed on line and then printed and signed. You have to post them off to Sydney. I am already to send them tomorrow, after I have photocopied my passports and picked my photos up this afternoon from Costco. Don't give up with the payment via the website....the instructions are as user friendly as a cornered rat, they are just keep sending you back to the main menu...but then suddenly as if by magic it worked!! Good luck! I am sure that CIC website is designed so that only those prepared to persevere will win!

P.S. there is a bit that says: lost, replaced or not received card...that's 'US'!

Last edited by MillieF; Apr 28th 2013 at 4:11 am. Reason: Added a p.s.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 4:48 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Have either of you tried notifying CIC that your PR cards have not been received? Neither of you are required to pay for your 1st PR card and if you haven't received it a new one should be issued free of charge.

Rather than putting an application in for a lost one - which is for people that have lost their original one, hence the fee, you should be contacting CIC using your original reference and asking for it to be sent again.

Old Apr 28th 2013, 6:15 am
Just Joined

canadapr98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, MillieF and siouxie for your tips.

I will call CIC, and will ask them to send a new PR card. I will update the forum once I find something. Thanks again.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 6:42 am
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by siouxie
Have either of you tried notifying CIC that your PR cards have not been received? Neither of you are required to pay for your 1st PR card and if you haven't received it a new one should be issued free of charge.

Rather than putting an application in for a lost one - which is for people that have lost their original one, hence the fee, you should be contacting CIC using your original reference and asking for it to be sent again.

Yes, I did Siouxie, I spoke to CIC twice, and most unpleasant they were too. The first time the woman told me brusqley that they had no record of me or my PR application and then cut me off, and then I got one particularly mealy mouthed person who told me about my 'responsibilities' as a Canadian resident and how it was up to me to ensure that I got a PR card, there were many Ma'ams thrown in, in a most officious tone, I explained that I'd never received one, but she said I'd never applied (I had the recorded delivery slip as proof) but she basically said tough, and I was feeling a bit fragile at the time. Hence, it's now a year since my last application, and I thought I might give it another try. As I haven't sent off for it yet, maybe I'll change my covering letter tomorrow morning, and see if it bears fruit. so many thanks for your advice all.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 7:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Strange... I would make a formal complaint if they spoke to me like that, lol.

Did you update your address when you first came here?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen...asp?q=054&t=10

Edit: I just realised that you didn't come to Canada permanently until August 2012 - which is perhaps why your application in March 2012 got ignored. You are supposed to notify CIC within 180 days of arriving back in Canada on a permanent basis with your address in Canada (they can't be sent outside Canada) and then they send out your PR card automatically.

Did you do this?

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 28th 2013 at 7:12 am.
Old Apr 29th 2013, 6:39 am
BE user by choice

Yes, I did Siouxie, because we had bought the house by then, but although the house was 'ours' the lady who we bought it from still lived here till we arrived as she was moving into residential care, so it suited all concerned. Yet, whilst lots of other post arrived, no PR card. I changed my cover letter to reflect this, and will see what happens