Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Paying back student loan

Paying back student loan

Old Apr 14th 2010, 9:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paying back student loan

1-0

<pulls up deckchair, opens beer>
Old Apr 14th 2010, 10:47 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngmimesofharlem
You weren't kidding were you?

Leaving aside your absurd suggestion that in 20 years I will be paid no more money than I am now, and leaving aside the fact you have no idea what field I work in and what salaries are to be expected;

What on earth does it matter what two people in different careers at different ages earn? That wasn't my point. Though it's telling you took the first opportunity to get it out there.

The point was that I've started down a nice little career path and to expect grants from the British Government for the privilege is a bit bloody much.

Mind, maybe you could give me some career advice; It must be a sweet gig you've got, to be paid so handsomely and still have time to put up thousands of posts on an internet message board AND update a crushingly dull blog.

Truly, you are living the dream.
Touche.

I think i hit a nerve so i'll wait until tomorrow to respond while i'm being paid to do so

Last edited by el_richo; Apr 14th 2010 at 10:54 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Touche.

I think i hit a nerve so i'll wait until tomorrow to respond while i'm being paid to do so
Don't stop just now. I being paid to watch.

(My brain is somewhere between massive and a dogs nipple so I can appreciate both sides of the argument; though it's probably nearer the nipple end of the scale. "nearer the nipple end of the scale", I never thought I'd be writing a sentence like that today)
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:05 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you could explain it step by step why older people get paid more money? THAT would explain why my 60 year old boss drives a 100k automobile and I ride a bicycle! I knew there was a reason but I thought it was just because he was smarter.

It's so goddam inEXPLICABLE, the fact they pay people with more experience more money, and the older you are the more years you've spent in soul-crushing tedium in order to haul yourself up the career ladder.
As we age we have to deal with an increasingly large volume of young wannabes. For that, we're compensated appropriately.

Smarts often has little to do with it, young Jedi.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 11:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Don't stop just now. I being paid to watch.

(My brain is somewhere between massive and a dogs nipple so I can appreciate both sides of the argument; though it's probably nearer the nipple end of the scale. "nearer the nipple end of the scale", I never thought I'd be writing a sentence like that today)
Are we talking dog nipple or bitch nipple here, because some of the latter are very prominent.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

youngmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud ofyoungmimesofharlem has much to be proud of

Touche.

Let's call it a draw shall we?

We can toast the burying of the hatchet with a good Scotch. Except I'll have to drink your glass on your behalf. Ah well.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 8:40 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Let's call it a draw shall we?

We can toast the burying of the hatchet with a good Scotch. Except I'll have to drink your glass on your behalf. Ah well.
I'm not very good at drawing (so my art teacher told me - "You draw like a spastic dog" he said). Apologies for not retorting yesterday but the slave drivers here had me working for my money while entertaining a childish 33 year old dignitary and his secret service goons.

I do thank you for your observations though, of which a few were correct

I was merely poking some fun at you based upon you being a Biologist, having a massive brain, yet thinking a teeny salary was a good wage.

I also didn't suggest that you wouldn't receive a payrise, ever. I merely suggested that I, with a dog (not bitch) nipple sized brain, and limited education (which is prominent when reading my posts and retarded blog) probably earn more money than you will when you reach my age (which is no doubt very soon). The point being, your comment "By the time I'm your age I expect I'll be earning more than that, if i haven't blown my brains out" would have you blowing your brains out and being museum ready within a few years time.

As for your question about "older people earning more money". I think you'll find experience tends to come with age. However, I have one comment and two questions for you.

Comment; You suggest your boss is over paid when compared to your salary and he drives a $100k car while you own a bicycle. You need to understand your bosses personal and business background before calling his financial status down.

Question 1; Why do you believe your earning power should have parity with, or be much closer to, your 60 year old boss?

Question 2; After 30 years of service in your field, extending your experience, knowledge, skills, etc, do you believe, or would you appreciate, a young inexperienced addition to your company who has yet to prove their worth and value add to the company/field being paid a similar amount to yourself?

I do agree with the fact that the abilities of the SLC back office are pretty dire.

You don't need to answer to this, or my questions. I'm now happy to call this a draw and have a sip of my scotch.

Cheers
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:14 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not very good at drawing (so my art teacher told me - "You draw like a spastic dog" he said). Apologies for not retorting yesterday but the slave drivers here had me working for my money while entertaining a childish 33 year old dignitary and his secret service goons.

I do thank you for your observations though, of which a few were correct

I was merely poking some fun at you based upon you being a Biologist, having a massive brain, yet thinking a teeny salary was a good wage.

I also didn't suggest that you wouldn't receive a payrise, ever. I merely suggested that I, with a dog (not bitch) nipple sized brain, and limited education (which is prominent when reading my posts and retarded blog) probably earn more money than you will when you reach my age (which is no doubt very soon). The point being, your comment "By the time I'm your age I expect I'll be earning more than that, if i haven't blown my brains out" would have you blowing your brains out and being museum ready within a few years time.

As for your question about "older people earning more money". I think you'll find experience tends to come with age. However, I have one comment and two questions for you.

Comment; You suggest your boss is over paid when compared to your salary and he drives a $100k car while you own a bicycle. You need to understand your bosses personal and business background before calling his financial status down.

Question 1; Why do you believe your earning power should have parity with, or be much closer to, your 60 year old boss?

Question 2; After 30 years of service in your field, extending your experience, knowledge, skills, etc, do you believe, or would you appreciate, a young inexperienced addition to your company who has yet to prove their worth and value add to the company/field being paid a similar amount to yourself?

I do agree with the fact that the abilities of the SLC back office are pretty dire.

You don't need to answer to this, or my questions. I'm now happy to call this a draw and have a sip of my scotch.

Cheers
You'll call it a draw after having the last word? In a magnanimous mood this morning I see.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:49 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You'll call it a draw after having the last word? In a magnanimous mood this morning I see.
Magnanimous indeed

Although, the last team to score a goal with a final tally of 1:1 still draw with their opponents
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 7:53 pm
Temporary Canuck

mattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud ofmattieuk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jarman
When I spoke to the advisor at the SLC, I was told to fill in the Overseas Income Assessment form. The information on that form would let them know how much I should be paying over the current year, in my case I was unemployed at the time, so they wrote me back saying that I would have to pay nothing for the current year, and that they would send me the Overseas Income Assessment form in ten months, where I would fill it in, and that would tell me what I have to pay for next year.
I actually asked the person on the phone the question about if I got a job after I filled the form in, and they told me not to worry about it, and to wait until I get the form to fill in for next year.
I plan on paying back the loan (within the rules they constructed of course).

The latest correspondence I received from them said that for this year, I don't have to pay anything back (i.e. they neglected to mention that if I get a raise then the payments I am making this year is changed - and I'm not looking through T&Cs to see if there is any reference made to this).

Being in Canada, we do have a nice change to play a minor game of the currency exchange market as well. On that note, at what point in the year does the minimum salary to trigger payments get decided?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Lethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really niceLethe is just really nice

Originally Posted by mattieuk
I plan on paying back the loan (within the rules they constructed of course).

The latest correspondence I received from them said that for this year, I don't have to pay anything back (i.e. they neglected to mention that if I get a raise then the payments I am making this year is changed - and I'm not looking through T&Cs to see if there is any reference made to this).

Being in Canada, we do have a nice change to play a minor game of the currency exchange market as well. On that note, at what point in the year does the minimum salary to trigger payments get decided?
I have had some interesting dealings with student loans this year. After coming out here on BUNAC and advising them that the last day of my visa out here was the 8th June and that I would update them of my PR progress at that time my poor mum received a suitably terrifying letter addressed to me which stated, in brief, 'You informed us that you would be returning to the UK on the 8th June (here I scratch my head a little confused and reply absently, 'no I didn't') Fill out these forms with all your details. If you don't we will add 150 pounds to your loan.' This letter was dated 7th June! So I dutifully filled out the forms and added my change of address only to receive the same letter to my new home in Canada, 'You informed us that you would be returning and you have not contacted us...150 pounds to your loan' As they have sent this letter to my new address I am aware that they know I have contacted them. I am now mildly annoyed and so I get up early to call them. The girl on the end of the phone said to me, 'Don't worry, they never actually charge anyone, they'll just keep sending you those until you get another job or sign on' well that's a relief. Maybe if they only sent these letters out to people who don't send them back I'd have less interest to pay!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

OMG What a post!!!!!

And to think if you are Scottish and at University in Scotland it would all be for free.......
Old Dec 29th 2010, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Flyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really niceFlyingscottie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Canuck2b
OMG What a post!!!!!

And to think if you are Scottish and at University in Scotland it would all be for free.......
I went to A Scottish University, but I still owe SLC £13k..... They give loans to us too you know!
Old Dec 29th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

I vaguely recall sitting in a hall in 6th Form being told that Student Loans were a great idea and were in effect interest free blah blah blah.
I am fairly sure that the payments I make barely cover the interest they keep adding. That couples with ever changing exchange rates make the whole thing rather annoying. The only silver lining is that it is income contingent so if my income fell below a certain level I would not have to pay anything which is better than a private loan where they don't stop asking.
However their yearly income assessment only considers your gross income and makes no account of total household income (i.e. how many people does your income support) and any other mortgage or tax liabilities etc. So they go oh this guy can afford x amount a month, off you go, when in reality that is not always the case, and as it is not a fixed repayment schdedule known at the start of the loan, i.e. it keeps going up every year if your income rises, regardless of circumstance, it is hard to plan/budget for.
Personally I am hoping the exchange rate falls low enough to justify paying it off in one go with a Canadian loan/line of credit and save the future cost of Sterling recovery.
i recall when I came to Canada the first time it was more like 2.5 $ to £ which would almost double the effective loan amount from todays exchange rate. Bam
Old Dec 30th 2010, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

Canuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of lightCanuck2b is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Flyingscottie
I went to A Scottish University, but I still owe SLC £13k..... They give loans to us too you know!
I know but not nearly as much as in England!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.