British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Pay Class 2 NI (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/pay-class-2-ni-946771/)

pmak Jan 16th 2023 9:58 pm

Pay Class 2 NI

Finally, I received the HM Revenue & Customs letter saying that they have accepted my application for the class 2 NI rate and the table showing the shortfall from 2006 to today. I did not fill in the details on my Canadian Banking on the form CF38 as I was not sure how to do it, it took three months for them to approve the application.Anyhow the form CF38 that I used to apply for class 2 NI rate asking for the employer and I put in my current employer that I have worked for the last 16 years in Canada, for no reason, HM Revenue and Customs saying I did not work fully on that period 2006-2007 and I need to pay the class 3 rate for 9 weeks. Haha, I did work for another employer before I worked with the current employer. I went to the bank and paid off all the arrears of the outstanding NI. I ask the bank to provide their banking details on how to set up the direct debit so that it can be withdrawn from my Canadian bank monthly and they told me that it cannot be done as the UK and Canada have different banking system like the banking code etc. My question is anyone able to set up the Direct Debit with a Canadian bank for the monthly NI payment to the UK government, if so, please let me know how to do it. My bank charged me $40 for wire-transfer of the money to the UK Government and I do not want to pay the service charge every time when sending them money.Thanks.

JamesM Jan 17th 2023 9:49 pm

Re: Pay Class 2 NI

Originally Posted by pmak (Post 13166209)
Finally, I received the HM Revenue & Customs letter saying that they have accepted my application for the class 2 NI rate and the table showing the shortfall from 2006 to today. I did not fill in the details on my Canadian Banking on the form CF38 as I was not sure how to do it, it took three months for them to approve the application.Anyhow the form CF38 that I used to apply for class 2 NI rate asking for the employer and I put in my current employer that I have worked for the last 16 years in Canada, for no reason, HM Revenue and Customs saying I did not work fully on that period 2006-2007 and I need to pay the class 3 rate for 9 weeks. Haha, I did work for another employer before I worked with the current employer. I went to the bank and paid off all the arrears of the outstanding NI. I ask the bank to provide their banking details on how to set up the direct debit so that it can be withdrawn from my Canadian bank monthly and they told me that it cannot be done as the UK and Canada have different banking system like the banking code etc. My question is anyone able to set up the Direct Debit with a Canadian bank for the monthly NI payment to the UK government, if so, please let me know how to do it. My bank charged me $40 for wire-transfer of the money to the UK Government and I do not want to pay the service charge every time when sending them money.Thanks.

You're able to pay up from 2006?

I've just applied myself but though it only went back 6 years.

christmasoompa Jan 17th 2023 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13166482)
You're able to pay up from 2006?

I've just applied myself but though it only went back 6 years.

Back to 2006, but only until 5th April - https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...ions/deadlines

HTH.

JamesM Jan 17th 2023 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13166483)
Back to 2006, but only until 5th April - https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...ions/deadlines

HTH.

Thanks for the link. I'll have to find out the benefit of going back further than 6 years.

pmak Jan 18th 2023 12:25 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 13166483)

HTH.

I contacted HM Revenue and Customs and they told me the deadline 5 April 2023 is the date for the application received on/before that date but not the date for the payment.

mrbanks Jan 18th 2023 11:07 am

Haven't tried it with HMRC, but Wise will give you a UK sort code and account number, and they seem to accept direct debits: https://wise.com/help/articles/29779...-direct-debits

dbd33 Jan 18th 2023 11:38 am

I paid these guys to sort mine out https://www.uk2canadapensiontransfers.com/ I was able to make two types of contributions going back yonks but didn't pay attention to the details.

shelley748 Jan 18th 2023 6:30 pm

I called last week and was advised I could go back 12 years as I was contracted out of SERPS for part of it. I sent off my NI38 form last week by registered mail as the man said at HMRC as long as it was received before April 1st 2023. They are currently taking around 18 weeks to process the forms!!!

JamesM Jan 19th 2023 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by shelley748 (Post 13166648)
I called last week and was advised I could go back 12 years as I was contracted out of SERPS for part of it. I sent off my NI38 form last week by registered mail as the man said at HMRC as long as it was received before April 1st 2023. They are currently taking around 18 weeks to process the forms!!!

Wow 18 weeks? My form was logged on the HMRC website on Jan 10th and it said to allow to Jan 31st for processing.

shelley748 Feb 9th 2023 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 13166833)
Wow 18 weeks? My form was logged on the HMRC website on Jan 10th and it said to allow to Jan 31st for processing.

did you hear back yet?

JamesM Feb 10th 2023 4:05 pm

No. They haven't even started processing when I check the website. They do say there is a delay.

OnlineCB Feb 20th 2023 2:51 pm

I set up a Canadian and UK bank acct using the Wise app which I saw recommended on here, it's easy to use and has low fees. I posted the message below in Oct in response to a similar question - since then Revenue and Customs confirmed they received my payment but I have not received a new forecast of my State Pension or any info re paying contributions for this year.

I called this morning for an update and was told they are inundated and not to expect to hear anything for another few months. A friend of mine applied the same time I did, she turned 66 in November, and they fast tracked her application - she is now receiving her updated State pension based on her voluntary contributions.

I applied myself with a CF83 form and had a reply in the mail a few months later that I was approved to buy back 15 years -- 13 years at Class Two plus 2 years at Class Three (for me, the Class Three years were when I worked part time).

I then phoned and was told that I didn't have to buy back all of the 15 years at once but I could only buy back full years at one time (no partial years) and any buy back must be completed before April 2023.

I have also set up a pre approved payment to pay for upcoming years, I was told those payments will be called for in April each year at Class Two rates.

It sounds complicated but it was really straight forward and the Call Centre agents were super helpful.

Muskoka Feb 22nd 2023 2:31 pm

Is there any financial benefit to opening a UK & CAD account with Wise? as against having the money sent direct to your/my standard CAD account please?

tdrinker Feb 23rd 2023 7:17 am

Better exchange rate.

OnlineCB Feb 23rd 2023 3:22 pm

Better exchange rate and much cheaper fees.