British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   passports (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/passports-838566/)

arniedog Jul 12th 2014 12:56 am

passports

hi everyone, its been a while since i visited you all i know, but ive got a question which is worrying the life out of mrs arniedog. we are going back england mid sept, mrs arniedog needs to renew her passport while we are there. she will have 5 months left on it when we fly back, but somebody told her that they think she needs 6 months on it to go back. i said she will be ok as she is returning to her home country where the passport was issued. can anyone tell me who is right ? i know someone will know the answer. thanks in advance :beer:

Former Lancastrian Jul 12th 2014 1:11 am

Re: passports

She will be fine.

GrandmaLynn Jul 12th 2014 1:15 am

My son in law went back to England last week, you can book an appointment 3 weeks in advance to purchase a new one in 4 hours which he did. I'm no expert but I would say the problem wouldn't be going into the u.k but coming back to Canada, Im sure someone with a bit more expertise will answer your question shortly.

MarylandNed Jul 12th 2014 3:41 am

It just has to be a valid passport. There is no minimum amount of validity required for UK citizens entering the UK on a UK passport.

arniedog Jul 12th 2014 4:37 pm

Ok thanks everyone

BritInParis Jul 12th 2014 4:46 pm

Be aware that there is a large backlog for passport applications in the UK at the moment. I would recommend renewing the passport via the Fast Track or Premium service the HMPO offers if you are only visiting. Fast Track takes less than a week and Premium is a same day service. You will need to book an appointment for both and slots are limited so it might be advisable to book a slot well in advance to make sure you can renew it whilst you are in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

arniedog Jul 12th 2014 4:50 pm

That's what we are doing. You cant book an appointment until 3 weeks before. Thanks anyway :thumbsup:

SUNSHINEGIRL_X Jul 15th 2014 10:01 am

The back log isnt as bad as they made out my husband was applying for first passport estimation 6 weeks it took 7
friend sent hers off for renewal est 3 weeks took 3 weeks and this was at the time it was all over the news.

BritInParis Jul 15th 2014 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by SUNSHINEGIRL_X (Post 11336794)
The back log isnt as bad as they made out my husband was applying for first passport estimation 6 weeks it took 7
friend sent hers off for renewal est 3 weeks took 3 weeks and this was at the time it was all over the news.

Were they applying from inside or outside the UK?

SUNSHINEGIRL_X Jul 16th 2014 12:05 am

Both applications were from inside the Uk.
At the time on the news they were saying that to ease the backlog they were giving all passports abroad that need renewing a 1 year extension. I dont know how it works but worth looking into.

BritInParis Jul 16th 2014 4:00 am

Originally Posted by SUNSHINEGIRL_X (Post 11337621)
Both applications were from inside the Uk.
At the time on the news they were saying that to ease the backlog they were giving all passports abroad that need renewing a 1 year extension. I dont know how it works but worth looking into.

The backlog outside the UK is much worst. The one year extension will only work if you have a recently expired passport with enough blank pages. For first applicants or those with full passports it's not much use.

SUNSHINEGIRL_X Jul 16th 2014 7:29 am

Oh ok I did wonder.
At least mrs arniedog will be ok as she is applying within the uk.