British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Passport renewal - UK, not Canadian (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/passport-renewal-uk-not-canadian-785556/)

Cathairtumbleweeds Jan 29th 2013 2:51 pm

Passport renewal - UK, not Canadian

Husband and I's UK passports have expired (as has our PR cards - sigh - we really should apply for Citizenship!) ... and I was pretty shocked to learn that we'd have to apply for renewal via Washington DC, to the tune of $300USD ....

.... so what's to stop us filling in the UK form, putting my mum's address for mailing, and paying on 75quid?

Anything?

Cheers! Wendy

iaink Jan 29th 2013 2:53 pm

Re: Passport renewal - UK, not Canadian

Originally Posted by Purple74 (Post 10512677)
Husband and I's UK passports have expired (as has our PR cards - sigh - we really should apply for Citizenship!) ... and I was pretty shocked to learn that we'd have to apply for renewal via Washington DC, to the tune of $300USD ....

.... so what's to stop us filling in the UK form, putting my mum's address for mailing, and paying on 75quid?

Anything?

Cheers! Wendy

The fact that you sign a declaration on the UK forms to say you are resident at the time you apply...

If their security / background checks (assuming they do such things) find no record of you recently at that address they may call you for interview, which might be a tad inconvenient...

The main thing though is unlike the US center, the UK want to see ALL your passports (including Cdn if you have one) , originals, not copies, and I did not want to chance being without any travel documents while they processed the UK application.

Anyway, I'm a cheap bugger and considered this route, but in the end I bottled it and paid the north american premium... Im curious to hear if anyone has done the UK address thing myself... I started a thread myself a while back fwiw

BristolUK Jan 29th 2013 2:55 pm

There are a couple of previous threads but you probably could do it.

It's just that you are officially supposed to be UK resident for UK application.

Should something go wrong and it goes missing between your mum and here, reporting the circumstances might be a bit awkward.

Also, if at some stage you need to show periods of actual residence in Canada, the issue of a UK passport based on apparent actual residency there, might be problematic.

Cathairtumbleweeds Jan 29th 2013 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10512689)
The fact that you sign a declaration on the UK forms to say you are resident at the time you apply...

If there checks find no record of you recently at that address they may call you for interview, which might be a tad inconvenient...

Anyway, I'm a cheap bugger and considered this route, but in the end I bottled it and paid the north american premium... Im curious to hear if anyone has done the UK address thing myself...

See, I thought I'd found a loophole where it said that you can apply while you're in the UK visiting.... and then I thought - "Are they going to check the flight records?" ...

... I object to the huge price hike. I'm motivated purely by money... :P

... but I have always done the "right thing" ... unless someone else has tried it and succeeded... :P

... and aren't I still a resident if they nag me for NI contributions every year?

... the UK passport is the only one we both hold. We don't have a Canadian one. We're still PR.

:-)

Cathairtumbleweeds Jan 29th 2013 2:58 pm

And thanks re: link to the thread! :thumbsup:

iaink Jan 29th 2013 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Purple74 (Post 10512698)
See, I thought I'd found a loophole where it said that you can apply while you're in the UK visiting.... and then I thought - "Are they going to check the flight records?" ...

... I object to the huge price hike. I'm motivated purely by money... :P

... but I have always done the "right thing" ... unless someone else has tried it and succeeded... :P

... and aren't I still a resident if they nag me for NI contributions every year?

:-)

You can apply in PERSON while visiting the UK, unless you are there for several weeks.

The main headache for me as a dual citizen was they wanted my Cdn passport too to process the application. Give it a go and see;)?

bats Jan 29th 2013 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10512710)
You can apply in PERSON while visiting the UK, unless you are there for several weeks.

The main headache for me as a dual citizen was they wanted my Cdn passport too to process the application. Give it a go and see;)?

MOH did this. His passport was due to expire while he was in the UK.He made an appointment from Canada and then showec up with paperwork and money. Didnn't take long, no problems.

MarylandNed Jan 29th 2013 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10512710)

You don't have to give them your Canadian passport. All you need to do is submit a photocopy of the Canadian passport's photo page and state on the UK passport application form that your Canadian passport is not enclosed because it is needed for travel.

iaink Jan 29th 2013 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10512742)
You don't have to give them your Canadian passport. All you need to do is submit a photocopy of the Canadian passport's photo page and state on the UK passport application form that your Canadian passport is not enclosed because it is needed for travel.

Thats not what several people on the UK helpline told my dad when he was pretending to be me. Word was you have to submit all passports, not copies, and if you are travelling then you would not be available for an interview should they deem one necessary so apply when you get back.

Basically they are on to our game and only want genuine UK residents using the UK service as far as I can tell. Still, if anyone has actually done it with copies of a Cdn passport then Im all ears. or at least will be some time around 2022:)

MarylandNed Jan 29th 2013 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10512745)
Thats not what several people on the UK helpline told my dad when he was pretending to be me. Word was you have to submit all passports, not copies, and if you are travelling then you would not be available for an interview should they deem one necessary so apply when you get back.

Don't believe everything you're told. We have actually obtained UK passports for me, my wife and 4 kids without submitting ANY other passports. We all have multiple citizenships and there's no way we're submitting actual Canadian or US passports with a UK passport application. We've always just submitted a photocopy of the foreign passport photo page and made a note on the UK passport application form stating that originals have not been submitted because they are needed for travel purposes. I know plenty of other people who have done the same thing (also people in the USA forum).

iaink Jan 29th 2013 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10512758)
Don't believe everything you're told. We have actually obtained UK passports for me, my wife and 4 kids without submitting ANY other passports. We all have multiple citizenships and there's no way we're submitting actual Canadian or US passports with a UK passport application. We've always just submitted a photocopy of the foreign passport photo page and made a note on the UK passport application form stating that originals have not been submitted because they are needed for travel purposes. I know plenty of other people who have done the same thing (also people in the USA forum).

Good to know. In future I will give the UK address renewal a go then I think.

Cathairtumbleweeds Jan 29th 2013 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10512758)

Was this via Washington or via the UK?

MarylandNed Jan 29th 2013 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Purple74 (Post 10512770)
Was this via Washington or via the UK?

Both. In the UK we obtained UK passports for our Canadian born kids (who only had Canadian passports at that time). We have all obtained UK passports through Washington DC at some point. My wife just recently renewed her UK passport on her last trip to the UK.

iaink Jan 29th 2013 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10512797)
Both. In the UK we obtained UK passports for our Canadian born kids (who only had Canadian passports at that time). We have all obtained UK passports through Washington DC at some point. My wife just recently renewed her UK passport on her last trip to the UK.

Applying through washington they will accept copies of your Cdn passport, via the UK we were told they do not. That was the primary reason I applied the expensive way.

So has any adult renewed a UK passport by borrowing a UK address without sending off their Canadian one to the UK too? Im all confused again now...

lins and Stef McLachlan Jan 29th 2013 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 10512689)

If their security / background checks (assuming they do such things) find no record of you recently at that address they may call you for interview, which might be a tad inconvenient...

The main thing though is unlike the US center, the UK want to see ALL your passports (including Cdn if you have one) , originals, not copies, and I did not want to chance being without any travel documents while they processed the UK application.

Anyway, I'm a cheap bugger and considered this route, but in the end I bottled it and paid the north american premium... Im curious to hear if anyone has done the UK address thing myself... I started a thread myself a while back fwiw

Hi
I was a grade three Passport officer working for UKPS for nearly five years before coming to Canada and We never asked for all the passports when renewing. Just the one being renewed as we had all the other records on the computer. As for the address, it is simple enough to record a family address as being your address. as long as it goes to a UK address, we woukd not have checked further. As for needing an interview, it is extremely rare to be called for an interview if you are a straighforward renewal. usually it is first time applications and applications with complex nationality issues, which are called for an interview.

I intend going down that route when ours come up for renewal. it is advisable to get the family member in the Uk to post out a couple of application forms sourced in the Uk for completion, then send them back to the family member to post to the passport office from the UK. i dont think there would be a problem.

i left the passport service five years ago, but renewals were never treated as high risk unless forged or suspicious in some way. This is my opinion and should not be taken as advice.
Stef