Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Passport renewal - UK, not Canadian

Passport renewal - UK, not Canadian

Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport renewal - UK, not Canadian

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What visa? UK citizens dont get issued visas. If you are referring to a work/study permit or visitor record or IMM5292 COPR form then yes remove them from the passport.
Hi
As an Ex Passport Officer my advice would be to leave any visas which are still in date in the passport. You should note unexpired visa in the notes section on the form. The renewing Passport officer will cancel the passport but not the visa in it and return the new passport and the cancelled one to you. You would then take both passports when visiting the country which you have the visa for. That visa will still remain valid until its expiry.

If you are referring to the green US visa which lasts for three months then you should remove that and return it to the issuing authority. You would simply pay the $6 for a new one in your new passport.

Hope this helps
Stef

Last edited by lins and Stef McLachlan; Feb 1st 2013 at 4:22 pm. Reason: Addition
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wiganfem
yes thats whats i mean. and secondly can i renew her visitor record at the local border or do i have to mail it.
thanks
If it is due to expire then you can renew online via the CIC website. If not expiring and just getting a new passport then the visitor record is still valid.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

wiganfem is an unknown quantity at this point

If it is due to expire then you can renew online via the CIC website. If not expiring and just getting a new passport then the visitor record is still valid.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp

it expires end March, and thanks for the online link. i knew i could do this but link to it is helpful. its just we live 10 mins from border so wonder if we could do it there too
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
As an Ex Passport Officer my advice would be to leave any visas which are still in date in the passport. the renewing visa officer will cancel the passport and return the new one and the cancelled on to you. You would then take both passports when visiting the country which you have the visa for. That visa will still remain valid until its expiry.

If you are referring to the green US visa which lasts for three months then you should remove that and return it to the issuing authority. You would simply pay the $6 for a new one in your new passport.

Hope this helps
Stef
True for citizens coming from a visa requiring country however UK citizens dont get issued with a visa to come to Canada as they are exempt.
Work/Study Permits TRPs'and Visitor Records are documents not VISA's that most UK expats get mixed up with. Even when emigrating UK citizens are no longer issued an Immigrant Visa.
A visa to me is a counterfoil permanently placed in a passport which says VISA albeit the I94 waiver visa is usually just stapled into the passport.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it expires end March, and thanks for the online link. i knew i could do this but link to it is helpful. its just we live 10 mins from border so wonder if we could do it there too
Yes you could and its FREE however there is always the possibility of being denied entry if there is no valid reason for an extension or the person is now deemed to be inadmissible. Im assuming you the adults are on work permits so as long as one of you shows them a valid work permit that will be sufficient for your daughters extension.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Yes you could and its FREE however there is always the possibility of being denied entry if there is no valid reason for an extension or the person is now deemed to be inadmissible. Im assuming you the adults are on work permits so as long as one of you shows them a valid work permit that will be sufficient for your daughters extension.
yes her passport expires end March, so posting that off today. Hence question if to remove visitor record, as didnt want to get held up or in trouble for taking it out. I am on cisitor one until 2014, and yes my husband is the same with work permit.

thanks again
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yes her passport expires end March, so posting that off today. Hence question if to remove visitor record, as didnt want to get held up or in trouble for taking it out. I am on cisitor one until 2014, and yes my husband is the same with work permit.

thanks again
If you are posting her passport off today then dont go to the border until you get the new one back as legally you have no valid travel document.
Doing it online gives you implied status while you wait and dont leave Canada but that will cost $75. Take out the Visitor Record.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

If you are posting her passport off today then dont go to the border until you get the new one back as legally you have no valid travel document.
Doing it online gives you implied status while you wait and dont leave Canada but that will cost $75. Take out the Visitor Record.

great thanks for that. so i can apply online before i het her passport back? dont i have to wait as the passport number will be required?
I take it the link on the form is for the visitor one, as although she is at school she can only study due to my husband having work perm, if i am correct. it is so confusing !!
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

great thanks for that. so i can apply online before i het her passport back? dont i have to wait as the passport number will be required?
I take it the link on the form is for the visitor one, as although she is at school she can only study due to my husband having work perm, if i am correct. it is so confusing !!
If her Visitor Record expires when her passport does you may get the new passport back before it expires then it would simply be a quick trip to the border and voila new visitor record. By leaving it late to renew the passport you wont be able to extend online until you get your new passport back.
Even applying online today doesnt help as the current passport is due to expire.
Just hope the UK renewal system is quick.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

If her Visitor Record expires when her passport does you may get the new passport back before it expires then it would simply be a quick trip to the border and voila new visitor record. By leaving it late to renew the passport you wont be able to extend online until you get your new passport back.
Even applying online today doesnt help as the current passport is due to expire.
cheers just been and done it, express post be there Thursday lol. Hope to God i have not missed anything or done anything wrong,

thanks for your help
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purple74
FABULOUS!!!! Thank you!

... and really, in your opinion, what's the worst that could happen?

I don't have a Canadian passport as we're still British only....
Worst that could happen, they tell you to reapply to Washington....but you didnt know you had to do that, Right?
Stef
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Worst that could happen, they tell you to reapply to Washington....but you didnt know you had to do that, Right?
Stef
its gone to washington lol
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

It has to be said that the US customs get very nasty if they find an expired one in the passport...you end up with one heck of a lecture at the booth, then again inside. A lot of people just take it out of their passport and dispose of it and say it was returned if asked. You do run the risk that they could refuse you entry to the US for not returning them.
Stef
Old Feb 1st 2013, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It has to be said that the US customs get very nasty if they find an expired one in the passport...you end up with one heck of a lecture at the booth, then again inside. A lot of people just take it out of their passport and dispose of it and say it was returned if asked. You do run the risk that they could refuse you entry to the US for not returning them.
Stef
Oh I know all about USCBP and their I94 waiver tantrums. I was merely pointing out that a number of expats think a work/study permit is a visa when it isnt. Anyone with an I94 waiver still left in it should turn it in unless its still valid and they will be using it at a later date.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 9:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

i need help with my daughters passport, she is 9. I have the form for sending it to Washington, but it says they accept credit card only, visa or mastercard/. I dont have a credit card, only a canadian visa debit and a english visa debit. Not everyone has a credit card. Does anyone know if they accept debit as long as visa, or prepaid.

thanks
Mastercard and Visa cards are accepted. It doesn't matter whether they are credit, debit or prepaid so long as the funds are available and the card allows for online transactions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.