Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Passport renewal - UK, not Canadian

Passport renewal - UK, not Canadian

Old Jan 29th 2013, 5:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport renewal - UK, not Canadian

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
I was a grade three Passport officer working for UKPS for nearly five years before coming to Canada and We never asked for all the passports when renewing. Just the one being renewed as we had all the other records on the computer. As for the address, it is simple enough to record a family address as being your address. as long as it goes to a UK address, we woukd not have checked further. As for needing an interview, it is extremely rare to be called for an interview if you are a straighforward renewal. usually it is first time applications and applications with complex nationality issues, which are called for an interview.

I intend going down that route when ours come up for renewal. it is advisable to get the family member in the Uk to post out a couple of application forms sourced in the Uk for completion, then send them back to the family member to post to the passport office from the UK. i dont think there would be a problem.

i left the passport service five years ago, but renewals were never treated as high risk unless forged or suspicious in some way. This is my opinion and should not be taken as advice.
Stef
I had UK sourced forms.

Its the current foreign passports that they wanted to see, not previous UK ones.

The guide says something to that effect and we could not get them to budge.

Perhaps dual citizenship counts as a "complex nationality issue"?

Dunno, Im just reporting my experience of enquiring about the necessity to send my other passport if applying within the UK, My dad spoke to a few people on info line as he knows they often give out duff information, and they all said the same thing...

Last edited by iaink; Jan 29th 2013 at 5:44 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Cathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this pointCathairtumbleweeds is an unknown quantity at this point

FABULOUS!!!! Thank you!

... and really, in your opinion, what's the worst that could happen?

I don't have a Canadian passport as we're still British only....

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
I was a grade three Passport officer working for UKPS for nearly five years before coming to Canada and We never asked for all the passports when renewing. Just the one being renewed as we had all the other records on the computer. As for the address, it is simple enough to record a family address as being your address. as long as it goes to a UK address, we woukd not have checked further. As for needing an interview, it is extremely rare to be called for an interview if you are a straighforward renewal. usually it is first time applications and applications with complex nationality issues, which are called for an interview.

I intend going down that route when ours come up for renewal. it is advisable to get the family member in the Uk to post out a couple of application forms sourced in the Uk for completion, then send them back to the family member to post to the passport office from the UK. i dont think there would be a problem.

i left the passport service five years ago, but renewals were never treated as high risk unless forged or suspicious in some way. This is my opinion and should not be taken as advice.
Stef
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Purple74
... and really, in your opinion, what's the worst that could happen?
It goes missing and when you report it as lost you have to explain what you were doing applying in a way you shouldn't.

In the near future you apply for citizenship or something where continuous residence in Canada is absolutely vital to what you want and you have an important document that indicates you were resident in the UK at the time of issue (or at the very least were not in Canada) and it contradicts what you are maintaining with Canadian authorities is accurate.

I post this all the time whenever this subject comes up and nobody responds. Am I on ignore?

Seriously, If I'm talking bollocks I wish someone would say so and I could stop saying this.

And apply via the UK myself when the time comes again.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I had UK sourced forms.

Its the current foreign passports that they wanted to see, not previous UK ones.

The guide says something to that effect and we could not get them to budge.

Perhaps dual citizenship counts as a "complex nationality issue"?

Dunno, Im just reporting my experience of enquiring about the necessity to send my other passport if applying within the UK, My dad spoke to a few people on info line as he knows they often give out duff information, and they all said the same thing...
As others have said, a photocopy of other passport has been accepted, not that I dealt with any of those in the time I was there. For a renewal for PRs, without Canadian Passports, Just the expired or expiring UK passport is needed for cancellation when the new one is issued. You can renew UK passports up to nine months before expiry and will be credited that time on the new one, so potentially you could get 10 yrs 9 months validity. There is nothing stopping you renewing before that but the maximum you would be credited would be nine months.
Stef
Old Jan 29th 2013, 8:59 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

my dd needs a renewal on her passport. i got mum to send me out the forms and will get them sent back to her with dd's current passport and get mum to pay the fee BUT if i sign it to say i am in the uk i am opening myself up to possible prosecution for lying on an official government document?
we are going thru pr right now and i dont need a criminal record to stand in the way!
anyone know if washingtons 4 weeks is a reasonable estimate? might just have to swallow the massive fees and courier costs versus the uk version!
Old Jan 29th 2013, 9:15 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Someone reported a two week turnaround from washington not that long ago... took me 6 weeks last year.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thats not what several people on the UK helpline told my dad when he was pretending to be me. Word was you have to submit all passports, not copies, and if you are travelling then you would not be available for an interview should they deem one necessary so apply when you get back.

Basically they are on to our game and only want genuine UK residents using the UK service as far as I can tell. Still, if anyone has actually done it with copies of a Cdn passport then Im all ears. or at least will be some time around 2022
Most of the time, helplines just read from the form, or from some kind of script. You're not going to get any real information that way. There is some policy documentation on the IPS website that's a lot more useful.

I would always suggest to anyone in the U.K. that they do not (and should) not send any foreign passport with a British passport application, especially if they need the foreign passport for travel. If the passport service need to see it for some reason (occasionally they do) then they could always call you for interview.

HOWEVER, it's a very bad idea to use a U.K. address for official purposes if you no longer live in the United Kingdom. Normally you want to do everything to show that you are no longer tax resident (and ultimately, no longer domiciled) in the United Kingdom and filling out a government form declaring yourself as a U.K. resident directly contradicts that.

Last edited by JAJ; Jan 29th 2013 at 11:47 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2013, 11:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Normally you want to do everything to show that you are no longer tax resident.....filling out a government form declaring yourself as a U.K. resident directly contradicts that.
That too.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

wiganfem is an unknown quantity at this point

i need help with my daughters passport, she is 9. I have the form for sending it to Washington, but it says they accept credit card only, visa or mastercard/. I dont have a credit card, only a canadian visa debit and a english visa debit. Not everyone has a credit card. Does anyone know if they accept debit as long as visa, or prepaid.

thanks
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by wiganfem
i need help with my daughters passport, she is 9. I have the form for sending it to Washington, but it says they accept credit card only, visa or mastercard/. I dont have a credit card, only a canadian visa debit and a english visa debit. Not everyone has a credit card. Does anyone know if they accept debit as long as visa, or prepaid.

thanks
Buy one of those prepaid mastercards.

http://www.mastercard.ca/prepaid-card.html
Old Jan 31st 2013, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Buy one of those prepaid mastercards.

http://www.mastercard.ca/prepaid-card.html
but can you? will they accept it or are they gonna send it back rejected due to it being classed as a store card?
Old Jan 31st 2013, 5:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

but can you? will they accept it or are they gonna send it back rejected due to it being classed as a store card?
Its a mastercard, just one that has already been paid. They exist for this sort of thing.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

another quick question, do i leave my daughter's visa in her passport when i send it to washington, or take it out

thanks
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

another quick question, do i leave my daughter's visa in her passport when i send it to washington, or take it out

thanks
What visa? UK citizens dont get issued visas. If you are referring to a work/study permit or visitor record or IMM5292 COPR form then yes remove them from the passport.

Last edited by Former Lancastrian; Feb 1st 2013 at 4:17 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
What visa? UK citizens dont get issued visas. If you are referrin to a work/study permit or visitor record or IMM5292 COPR form then yes remove them from the passport.
yes thats whats i mean. and secondly can i renew her visitor record at the local border or do i have to mail it.
thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.