Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Passport Renewal

Passport Renewal

Old Feb 14th 2020, 6:25 am

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Renewal

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family View Post
Oh I'm sure that their percentage of lost or delayed mail is well within what they claim to be acceptable limits, given the number of items they handle daily.

But we're not talking about where my daughter left her Starbucks rewards card last week, this is a federal enterprise whose sole concern is moving items, and I mean simple items, from one place to another. They took three weeks to move my envelope between two places in Canada. And given the tracking information, or lack of it, I can only presume it sat in Calgary for 19 days then it took two days to get it to Montreal. And this wasn't their cheapest postal option, I chose their middle-priced option.

We've been here (Calgary area) for over 6 years now, and we've had numerous issues with Canada Post being slow in delivering international items, both to and from the UK. I'll grant them they have yet to actually lose an item, but as a family we long since gave up posting Christmas and birthday items with them, with no guarantee when they would be delivered. I just use Amazon UK & Moonpig for my relatives' gifts, and they use Amazon CA for ours. Intelcom are the preferred delivery service for Amazon Prime around here, and I've ordered things at 9pm one night and they've been delivered by 10am the next morning. No national mail system - UK or Canada - would achieve that.

I should, of course, reserve judgement until my new passport arrives. HMPO are using a delivery company they refer to as "DX delivery services". Never heard of them..
They appear to get relatively good reviews
https://ca.trustpilot.com/review/dxd...y.com?page=125

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 14th 2020 at 6:28 am.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

The site is DEAD easy to use, I was a bit nervous, but don't worry,
any photo shop will now email you a digital copy (mine cost $25) , when you get to that bit,
it will ask you to upload your photo, it will also check it is ok,
it then takes you to a payment portal, just put in your credit card details and does it all for you
gives you confirmation and recipts
all very painless

NO CODE, this is a UK thing, as in some UK photoplaces do that
IF you want to, take a pic with your Iphone though I wouldnt
just walk into any photo place say you want a UK digitial passport photo
they do them ALL the time !

You also get a link and a ref so you can check your progress on line
you need to send back your old passport though

Originally Posted by yakkiebush View Post
Hi Folks
i will be also renewing my British passport next week as it expires in May.
now I’m gonna try and do the online thing .
i only have a iPad.no printer.
is a printer needed .im gonna get my better half to take my mug shot and try to upload it.
was wondering how to pay in UK funds as my Visa is Canadian 🤔
this thing has been bugging me for a while now.
im a bit of a thicko when it comes to computers .
ifi did go and get my photo taken .do you need a code number ? And do you put it in with the old one.👍
the more advise the better folks.
cheers
rob
Old Feb 14th 2020, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

WOW, Canada Post suck, and this is the bit I'm worried about

I've just applied to renew my UK passport using their online service. I took my own photo on my phone and uploaded that.
That part of the process was fine, the biggest headache I've had was caused by CanadaPost. I sent my old passport back to the UK using their Registered International option (tracked and signed for on delivery).
Cost of that service was $26, and estimated delivery time was 3-7 days.
I completed the online application on 9th January, posted my old passport on January 16th, and it disappeared. No trace of it beyond an initial scan in Calgary on the 16th. I complained about it on the 31st January, and was told that because it was an international item, they wouldn't even start looking for it until 30 days after posting.
I informed HM Gov that CanadaPost had lost my old passport en route, which they noted on my renewal application, but they told me that I now had to submit a new, written application form and send a new set of photos. I was about to go through all that cr*p this week, when lo and behold my old passport was scanned in Quebec on February 6th! 3 weeks to cross Canada!!
It was signed for in the UK on the 10th, and today (13th) my new passport has been dispatched.
Full marks to the UK gov for their speedy handling of their bit, zero marks to CanadaPost for sellotaping my envelope to the back of a homing snail and directing it to Quebec.

So for those wondering about processing times for online renewals - here's my timeline from the UK gov's application tracking site:

Application history
Passport printed and sent 9:26pm on 13 February 2020
Application approved 2:17pm on 13 February 2020
Application being processed 8:11am on 12 February 2020
Documents received 9:26am on 11 February 2020
Application received 6:03pm on 9 January 2020
Application submitted 6:03pm on 9 January 2020

Now we'll see how long it takes for whomever is delivering it at this end to find my mailbox.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

I'll grant them they have yet to actually lose an item, but as a family we long since gave up posting Christmas and birthday items with them, with no guarantee when they would be delivered.
^^ this right here, with the age of internet, you'd think any "postal" service will up there game,
previously, we were stuck, now people will send e-cards

don;t improve you will lose your customers
Old Feb 14th 2020, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

so... this is weird, looking at the CP site for packages, I made sure the weight size etc was all within the limit for standard letter ,
I opted for express post (70 odd bucks)
lol they bloody well put my small envelope into a massive BIG express post envelope and sent it,
so WHAT was the bloody point of that?

I'm tracking it, as of yesterday it was still in Mississauga LOL, but they say 1-3 bus days, BUT not g'teed for international, like WTF
posted it wednesday
Old Feb 15th 2020, 3:41 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at a couple of things on the uk passport site, am I correct to say that a renewal of just expired (or will be expired as of March) UK passport, would require me to just send a full colour photocopy of my Canadian passport, and not the physical passport itself at the time of application, but they could possibly ask for the original at a later stage?
Old Feb 15th 2020, 5:20 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus View Post
Looking at a couple of things on the uk passport site, am I correct to say that a renewal of just expired (or will be expired as of March) UK passport, would require me to just send a full colour photocopy of my Canadian passport, and not the physical passport itself at the time of application, but they could possibly ask for the original at a later stage?
Thats what I read and have been informed on here, but asking for the actual Canadian Passport I would query because it belongs to Passport Canada/different issuing county
Old Feb 15th 2020, 5:23 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adrianj View Post
any photo shop will now email you a digital copy (mine cost $25)
That’s expensive considering physical passport photos are around $14-$18
Old Feb 15th 2020, 5:50 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo View Post
Thats what I read and have been informed on here, but asking for the actual Canadian Passport I would query because it belongs to Passport Canada/different issuing county
From here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...uments-group-3

"Remember if you’re a dual national, you must send a colour photocopy of your non-UK passport (every page including blank pages) as part of your application. You may be asked to show your non-British passport at a later date."
Old Feb 15th 2020, 7:23 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by sharkus View Post
From here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...uments-group-3

"Remember if you’re a dual national, you must send a colour photocopy of your non-UK passport (every page including blank pages) as part of your application. You may be asked to show your non-British passport at a later date."
but what I’m saying is that the Canadian passport belongs to government of Canada. Does UK government have the right to ask for the original passport that belongs to another country.

regardless if they ask me for mine I will contact Passport Canada for their guidance.

What if UK passport authority lose your Canadian passport...
Old Feb 15th 2020, 7:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

but what I’m saying is that the Canadian passport belongs to government of Canada. Does UK government have the right to ask for the original passport that belongs to another country.

regardless if they ask me for mine I will contact Passport Canada for their guidance.

I suspect Passport Canada will tell you that it’s no different than submitting your Canadian passport to the Home Office for a UK visa application. In any case, they’re asking for a photocopy, not the original and you’ll still get your British passport whether you send it or not.
Old Feb 15th 2020, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

They won't as you don't actually send the actual Canadian passport. They are asking for a photo copy.
Old Feb 16th 2020, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Can I ask that you don't hijack my thread and create a new one, otherwise things will get very confusing,
this isn't a general purpose thread and catch all for all kinds of questions, please
and thank you for your kind cooperation
I will also get pinged to let me know there is a reply to my thread and it's a tad annoying to see questions and replies not related to my thread,
txs agan
Old Feb 16th 2020, 5:05 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by adrianj View Post
Can I ask that you don't hijack my thread and create a new one, otherwise things will get very confusing,
this isn't a general purpose thread and catch all for all kinds of questions, please
and thank you for your kind cooperation
Its up to a mod to do that!!!

also that’s happened to my threads plenty of times when someone has gone off topic - get used to it!
Old Feb 16th 2020, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hey, TBH, the difference between 18 & 25 bucks is nominal 7 bucks, lol price of a burger, for somethings money is not an issue for me,
I want the job done right , done once. I've used this guy before as well

That’s expensive considering physical passport photos are around $14-$18

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.