Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Passport Renewal

Passport Renewal

Old Oct 5th 2019, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Passport Renewal

Hello folks,

Apologese if this is a thread already somewhere else,

So my PP is due to expire next year May (have my PR card obviously which is current), I understand that this is all done online, so a few questions

1> Can it be done in person
2> I've seen a few websites, some seem decidedly hooky and wanna charge $500+
3> As an adult, how do I send the original photo sent ? is it uploaded ? is it ok to upload it as far as quality, do I send it with the passport ?
4> I believe I have to send my passport back, what happens if I have no passport (should I photo copy it in case of any issues)
5> as above what happens if it gets lost, what is the best way to send it
6> The UK site, shows prices in £, I'm paying here in Canada does it simply get converted
7> Timescales ? not really an issue
8> If I send my passport back and have to travel in an emergency how do I do that

If there is an FAQ or link here or externally do let me know !
Old Oct 5th 2019, 3:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport Renewal

Hello and welcome to BE!

When in doubt about official stuff, go to the source Don't use 3rd party websites to renew your passport, only the official one.

This is a FAQ : https://www.gov.uk/government/public...outside-the-uk and this is the FAQ pdf (view online, no download) https://assets.publishing.service.go...otes_10.18.pdf
Photo: https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

Use this tool to determine what you need to send etc.. it's official.. one of the questions is 'is it lost or stolen' - it will take you to the online application at the end https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

It's reported to take about 2 weeks currently, from receipt of your passport and yes, it's always a good idea to keep a photocopy of the ID pages of your passport. If you were to need to travel urgently before it came back (an emergency) then you would apply for an emergency travel document: https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

Last edited by Siouxie; Oct 5th 2019 at 3:09 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

hi guy's back again,

so the website was painless, I went to a photoshop had a picture done, they emailed it to me,
uploaded and the thing on the site confirmed my picture as "GOOD" also took on line payment
$108 - WTF LOL,

now, I'm wondering what method of shipping I should use, I'm in 2 minds about UPS or CANADAPOST
CP charge about $70, for express and expedited , think it's tracked and signature
I have used CP before to UK, but not for a passport,

any thoughts ?

Oh
I've color scanned my passport and it's pages
Old Feb 9th 2020, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

oh HM passport office website also has a tracking thing, also sends update via email and sms !
Old Feb 9th 2020, 3:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Many people are against Canada Post for some reason. I used them last time, registered and tracked, cost about $11. Worked fine.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 5:14 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adrianj
CANADAPOST
CP charge about $70, for express and expedited , think it's tracked and signature
I have used CP before to UK, but not for a passport,
Originally Posted by BristolUK
Many people are against Canada Post for some reason. I used them last time, registered and tracked, cost about $11. Worked fine.
Hell of a difference with CP - $70 compared to $11.

the former sounds way too expensive and the latter way too cheap!
Old Feb 9th 2020, 6:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Hell of a difference with CP - $70 compared to $11.

the former sounds way too expensive and the latter way too cheap!
Just checked my history. That was 2016.

Looks like $23.38 now including $19.50 for the registered part.
Old Feb 9th 2020, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

I went there yesterday, tried to get an estimate, they have expedited and expresspost, not sure if they regarded my thing as a small packet or parcel,
for both of thoes options on seize and weight (and guessing London) he said 70 or 72 bucks, price might change when I go back with the actual weight ? LOL
they had other options, bet they were cheaper, I don't like to mess around with something like a passport.
Of course I could go to my local UPS, my wife works for them I "should" but have never managed to get a discount,
but txs for the replies all !
70 for CP and 108 for the passport, $200 bucks for a passport, yikes God Bless the Queen !
Old Feb 10th 2020, 1:10 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by adrianj
I went there yesterday, tried to get an estimate, they have expedited and expresspost, not sure if they regarded my thing as a small packet or parcel,
for both of thoes options on seize and weight (and guessing London) he said 70 or 72 bucks, price might change when I go back with the actual weight ? LOL
they had other options, bet they were cheaper, I don't like to mess around with something like a passport.
Of course I could go to my local UPS, my wife works for them I "should" but have never managed to get a discount,
but txs for the replies all !
70 for CP and 108 for the passport, $200 bucks for a passport, yikes God Bless the Queen !
My envelope was big enough for my old passport, so not a ginormous one, and that's within the sizes mentioned on CP website. The post office weighed it.

Here's the page for the cost estimate. Registering the envelope is $19.50 and then a few bucks for the weight.

Remember your passport fee includes the return to you by courier so this is only for your expiring or expired passport going one way.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 8:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Are you hoping for a nice new blue one without the words European Union on the front or are you OK with the Burgundy coloured one which has European Union on it?
Old Feb 10th 2020, 10:27 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Are you hoping for a nice new blue one without the words European Union on the front or are you OK with the Burgundy coloured one which has European Union on it?
‘European Union’ is long gone. If you’re applying at the moment you’ll get an old De La Rue burgundy booklet; the new Gemalto blue ones will come on stream between March and June.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
‘European Union’ is long gone. If you’re applying at the moment you’ll get an old De La Rue burgundy booklet; the new Gemalto blue ones will come on stream between March and June.
I wonder what the inventory of Burgundy ones is as I bet they want to get rid of those before they start issuing the blue ones. Do people actually care? Having a blue one might be more helpful in identifying it if for example you went to the lost and found at Heathrow and asked if any passports have recently been handed in
Old Feb 10th 2020, 11:47 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I wonder what the inventory of Burgundy ones is as I bet they want to get rid of those before they start issuing the blue ones. Do people actually care? Having a blue one might be more helpful in identifying it if for example you went to the lost and found at Heathrow and asked if any passports have recently been handed in
Since they’re switching manufacturers as well as design then I’d expect a sudden switch rather than a gradual rundown but we’ll see.

Some will, most won’t. If you need to travel it’s a bit of a moot point. As a passport nerd I’m more interested in the new design (polycarbonate biodata page, finally!) than the colour per se but since mine has another five odd years to go I’ll probably hold out and try and be one of the first to receive a second generation Gemalto booklet
Old Feb 10th 2020, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

txs for that, will check when I get home
Old Feb 10th 2020, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

I would go for the cheaper option
not wanting to start an online war... I was a brexit"eer" BTW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.